Need advice on my first pc build

madfufuu

My first pc build, also my first post on this forum. My budget is around $1500, I'd say anything above $1600 is stretching it for me. I took a build from Pcpartpicker.com and edited it, so this is what I came up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tXQYmq

I will use this build as a gaming setup also my workstation, I will not be running anything too extreme on it.

I have a 1TB hhd I took out from my old laptop hanging around, so I'm gonna use it as my main drive.

Since this is my first ever pc build, I ask for the power of this community to help me pick out any issues with it.:)

Please feel free to tell me anything you see unfit in my build or just any recommendation on the parts or building the pc itself. I appreciate all the feedbacks!

Thank you!

Get a nicer SSD, Patriot's ones are pretty meh and you can do better at that price point (Samsung, Crucial, WD, Adata). Don't use the HDD as your main drive, install Windows on the SSD. No point to having an SSD if you don't do that. Aside from that everything looks fine.

5 minutes ago, Leinad4400 said:

Get a nicer SSD, Patriot's ones are pretty meh and you can do better at that price point (Samsung, Crucial, WD, Adata). Don't use the HDD as your main drive, install Windows on the SSD. No point to having an SSD if you don't do that. Aside from that everything looks fine.

Thanks, to clarify sorry I meant that I will use the hdd to store everything else, I plan to install OS on the ssd. Also, should I get a m.2 or just an ssd? 

I'd get a Samsung 860 EVO instead of that Patriot. Also, don't buy such an outdated CPU cooler, get a H115i- it's way newer. 

Ended up changing most of the parts. 

The AiO isn't well priced, 280mm AiOs cost the same. I chose a cheaper air cooler, it's among the best for its price. Should be fine for overclocking. 

The motherboard should absolutely not be used with a Ryzen 8 core on water. It's just a Prime Plus with more flashy lights and a way too high price tag. 

Pretty much all brands use the same Hynix or Samsung dies, so I just chose a cheaper one. Ryzen 2000 has improved memory compatibility over first gen. 

Chose a nice SSD. 

A nice 1080 Ti. 

The 750D is quite old and expensive. Chose a cheaper case with front mesh and room to expand. 

The parametric filter for the PSU is aweful. Chose a well priced well performing PSU. 

Ended up at $1540 assuming rebates. To lower the cost, you could get one of the cheaper MSI X470 boards, a cheaper case, a lower capacity SSD, or downgrade the GPU to a 1070 Ti (they perform within 5% of the 1080)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($154.90 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($143.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 DT GAMING Video Card  ($649.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1541.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-16 03:07 EDT-0400

:)

Before deciding on the patriot SSD, read the newegg reviews.  I agree with Leinad; use your SSD as your boot drive and HDD as storage.  I like the Crucial MX500 500GB 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12263/the-crucial-mx500-500gb-review

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-mx500-ssd-review-nand,5390-6.html

I'd prefer B450 over B350 mobo

https://www.msi.com/blog/amd-ryzen-b350-vs-b450-chipset-difference

42 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

I'd get a Samsung 860 EVO instead of that Patriot. Also, don't buy such an outdated CPU cooler, get a H115i- it's way newer. 

40 minutes ago, Dryden said:

Before deciding on the patriot SSD, read the newegg reviews.  I agree with Leinad; use your SSD as your boot drive and HDD as storage.  I like the Crucial MX500 500GB 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12263/the-crucial-mx500-500gb-review

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-mx500-ssd-review-nand,5390-6.html

I'd prefer B450 over B350 mobo

https://www.msi.com/blog/amd-ryzen-b350-vs-b450-chipset-difference

Thank y'all for the tips! I will drop the patriot SSD and swap it with a 500GB Crucial SSD.

46 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Ended up changing most of the parts. 

The AiO isn't well priced, 280mm AiOs cost the same. I chose a cheaper air cooler, it's among the best for its price. Should be fine for overclocking. 

The motherboard should absolutely not be used with a Ryzen 8 core on water. It's just a Prime Plus with more flashy lights and a way too high price tag. 

Pretty much all brands use the same Hynix or Samsung dies, so I just chose a cheaper one. Ryzen 2000 has improved memory compatibility over first gen. 

Chose a nice SSD. 

A nice 1080 Ti. 

The 750D is quite old and expensive. Chose a cheaper case with front mesh and room to expand. 

The parametric filter for the PSU is aweful. Chose a well priced well performing PSU. 

Ended up at $1540 assuming rebates. To lower the cost, you could get one of the cheaper MSI X470 boards, a cheaper case, a lower capacity SSD, or downgrade the GPU to a 1070 Ti (they perform within 5% of the 1080)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($154.90 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($143.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 DT GAMING Video Card  ($649.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1541.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-16 03:07 EDT-0400

Thanks a lot for the detailed info and recommendations. I would definitely have lost a lot of potential performance per dollar if it weren't for the tips. I almost took everything you had suggested, but I swapped out the 1080TI for an Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card, and the the PSU for  PSU EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. The price lowered about $100, if the performance difference will be not that significant I'm willing to make the change. Here's the Finalized List, I just want a final go ahead on the build, so it'll either be your build or this refined build. Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, madfufuu said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed info and recommendations. I would definitely have lost a lot of potential performance per dollar if it weren't for the tips. I almost took everything you had suggested, but I swapped out the 1080TI for an Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card, and the the PSU for  PSU EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. The price lowered about $100, if the performance difference will be not that significant I'm willing to make the change. Here's the Finalized List, I just want a final go ahead on the build, so it'll either be your build or this refined build. Thanks again.

There is a high end EVGA 1070 Ti available for $430. Not really worth it to pay $100 more for the Strix, imo. It's just a 175W card. 

The G3 has issues with its protections and it's much louder at the loads you'll use the PSU at with a 1070 Ti. Not worth paying extra for that. 

:)

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There is a high end EVGA 1070 Ti available for $430. Not really worth it to pay $100 more for the Strix, imo. It's just a 175W card. 

The G3 has issues with its protections and it's much louder at the loads you'll use the PSU at with a 1070 Ti. Not worth paying extra for that. 

Alright 550W SeaSonic it is, and is this the GPU you're talking about?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z6BTwP/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-ftw-ultra-silent-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-6678-kr