ASUS TUF or MSI Mortar Titanium

Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

I think im going with Msi titanium, ive never used an msi motherboard before.

Ive used these brands before:

Asus: Good hardware, bad software

Gigabyte: Great software, bad hardware

Asrock: bad software, bad hardware

Msi: looks like good hardware, ? Software

Looking for a new mobo after the ASCRAP mobo was crap.

My 3 top picks right now are the MSI Mortar b450m Titanium (my top pick), Asus TUF b450m Gaming plus, and MSI Bazooka b450m Plus. I think that the mortar Titanium is the best, but is it? These are the only 3 options im willing to go for, i will not use a gigabyte or a asrock board again!

MSI Mortar b450m Titanium

600.png

MSI Bazooka b450m Plus

Image result for msi b450m bazooka plus

Asus TUF b450m gaming plus

Image result for asus tuf b450m-plus gaming

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Asus TUF masterrace.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

For reliability I would probably go with the Asus personally. The msi titanium looks sweet though. If the MSI fits the color theme well and style is important-get the msi. But if you are in a black box or building a non esthetic first build get the ASUS. 

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Asus TUF masterrace.

Interesting, other people have said to me that the new asus tuf motherboards are nothing like the old ones, but made of plastic and very cheap, but we will see.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Interesting, other people have said to me that the new asus tuf motherboards are nothing like the old ones, but made of plastic and very cheap, but we will see.

Well, they aren't built like they used to be built, but they're certainly better than AM4 MSI boards.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Asus changed TUF from top of the line to absolute bottom of the barrel: The Ultimate Fraud.

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, they aren't built like they used to be built, but they're certainly better than AM4 MSI boards.

MSI changed the VRM for B450 and X470 from crap to much much less crap/decent. Asus just kept the same VRMs. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

MSI changed the VRM for B450 and X470 from crap to much much less crap/decent. Asus just kept the same VRMs. 

The mortar platinum vrm heatsink looks a lot bigger to me than the tuf, so i should go with that?

The mortar platinum color is also better for my build.

How is MSI software compared to asus?

The last time i used asus software it caused all kinds of problems.

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

But I've heard that the BIOSes are shit on their AM4 boards, is that still the case?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Consider this: you're choosing between Asus shit customer service

or

MSI shit product reliability and shit customer service

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Consider this: you're choosing between Asus shit customer service

or

MSI shit product reliability and shit customer service

cant be worse than asrock.

Im not going through customer service, so that point is null. next point

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

cant be worse than asrock.

Im not going through customer service, so that point is null. next point

You're right about that.

Well then there you have it. Why buy MSI?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

You're right about that.

Well then there you have it. Why buy MSI?

admittedly the vrm heatsink is much better on msi board, and it has 1 more vrm phase. Also it looks much better and has more rgb. Also none of asus software.

I havent heard of MSI products failing (other than the laptops), can someone else clear that up?

53 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

They are right, TUF started off as military grade hardware back on the x99 days however nowadays is just a more budget entry gaming hardware level compared to the ROG Strix line ups.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

admittedly the vrm heatsink is much better on msi board, and it has 1 more vrm phase. Also it looks much better and has more rgb. Also none of asus software.

I havent heard of MSI products failing (other than the laptops), can someone else clear that up?

They all have the same number of phases, 4+2. The MSI boards have one more high-side MOSFET (minor difference) and bigger heatsinks though.

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

They are right, TUF started off as military grade hardware back on the x99 days however nowadays is just a more budget entry gaming hardware level compared to the ROG Strix line ups.

TUF is a lot older than that.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Looking for a new mobo after the ASCRAP mobo was crap.

My 3 top picks right now are the MSI Mortar b450m Titanium (my top pick), Asus TUF b450m Gaming plus, and MSI Bazooka b450m Plus. I think that the mortar Titanium is the best, but is it? These are the only 3 options im willing to go for, i will not use a gigabyte or a asrock board again!

MSI Mortar b450m Titanium

600.png

MSI Bazooka b450m Plus

Image result for msi b450m bazooka plus

Asus TUF b450m gaming plus

Image result for asus tuf b450m-plus gaming

If This Was Me, I Would Probably Got Away With The MSI Mortar B450M Titanium Motherboard As The Other Competitor That You Have Listed (The Asus TUF B450M Plus Gaming) Does Not Retain Any Of The "TUF" Speciality That Asus Has Been Bagging About Lately. And Yes I Am, As Always A Little Biased Toward That White,Non-Gamery Look Of That MSI's Motherboard. So, The Conclusion Is That You Should Probably Go With The MSI Mortar B450M Titanium Motherboard Unless And Until You Want The Brand Name Of ASUS On Your Freaking Motherboard.

2 minutes ago, DbJack72 said:

If This Was Me, I Would Probably Got Away With The MSI Mortar B450M Titanium Motherboard As The Other Competitor That You Have Listed (The Asus TUF B450M Plus Gaming) Does Not Retain Any Of The "TUF" Speciality That Asus Has Been Bagging About Lately. And Yes I Am, As Always A Little Biased Toward That White,Non-Gamery Look Of That MSI's Motherboard. So, The Conclusion Is That You Should Probably Go With The MSI Mortar B450M Titanium Motherboard Unless And Until You Want The Brand Name Of ASUS On Your Freaking Motherboard.

You made an account just to comment on this thread, interesting. I also like the msi mortar titanium look a lot more, the TUF looks all plastic and awful.

The brand name makes no difference, but just after having bad experience with both gigabyte and asrock motherboards, im willing to spend as much as i need to get the best b450m motherboard. The MSI Mortar titanium is the most expensive, but imo looks the best.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

They all have the same number of phases, 4+2. The MSI boards have one more high-side MOSFET (minor difference) and bigger heatsinks though.

Correct me if im wrong, but the MSI Mortar should have a 4+3 phase. (the TUF and bazooka both have 4+2 thought)

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Correct me if im wrong, but the MSI Mortar should have a 4+3 phase. (the TUF and bazooka both have 4+2 thought)

You can see the 2 phases of the SOC VRM at the top of the image. 2 inductors, 8 MOSFETs (2 high-side and 2 low-side per phase).

The Mortar does have more MOSFETs per phase on the SOC VRM compared to the Bazooka, which may also carry over to the VCore VRM. Anyway, differences in the SOC VRM are not that important unless you're using an APU.

(with an APU you'd want to consider a board with 3 phases in the SOC VRM, but most of those boards are made by Asrock or Gigabyte)

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You made an account just to comment on this thread, interesting. I also like the msi mortar titanium look a lot more, the TUF looks all plastic and awful.

The brand name makes no difference, but just after having bad experience with both gigabyte and asrock motherboards, im willing to spend as much as i need to get the best b450m motherboard. The MSI Mortar titanium is the most expensive, but imo looks the best.

Actually No, I Had This Account From A While Ago. Saw You Post And Ofcourse I Was Surfing The Forums From This Account So Just Replied To Your Post With This Account Only. And As Far As My Knowledge Goes, The MSI B450M Mortar Titanium Has Seven Phases Running At An 4+3 Configuration. There Is A Post By AnandTech  Which Mentions The Same Exact Thing. When It Comes To Buying an Expensive Motherboard, I Would Say Go Ahead Cause Motherboards Especially Now Adays Last A Pretty Nice Amount Of Time.

1 minute ago, DbJack72 said:

Actually No, I Had This Account From A While Ago. 

Oops my bad. I just saw that you created the account at 4:31pm, the time my post came out, but i forgot that today is not monday..

2 minutes ago, DbJack72 said:

Actually No, I Had This Account From A While Ago. Saw You Post And Ofcourse I Was Surfing The Forums From This Account So Just Replied To Your Post With This Account Only. And As Far As My Knowledge Goes, The MSI B450M Mortar Titanium Has Seven Phases Running At An 4+3 Configuration. There Is A Post By AnandTech  Which Mentions The Same Exact Thing. When It Comes To Buying an Expensive Motherboard, I Would Say Go Ahead Cause Motherboards Especially Now Adays Last A Pretty Nice Amount Of Time.

That Anandtech article has numerous flaws regarding the specs, they seem to have just copy-pasted what the manufacturers told them (and the mobo manufacturers love to lie about VRM phase counts).

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

That Anandtech article has numerous flaws regarding the specs, they seem to have just copy-pasted what the manufacturers told them (and the mobo manufacturers love to lie about VRM phase counts).

ASROCK "9 phase" power delivery for example...

41 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Totally Agreed With Your Sir.