How do I run games in Linux?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

If I use linux to do some development work, how much space do I need ? 

Linux itself doesn't take much space, even a 32GB-drive is quite plenty. Obviously, a bigger drive lets you store more stuff on it and if you do decide to e.g. play with VMs or stuff later on, it's not a bad idea to go with a 120GB or bigger from the get-go, so you'll have plenty of room to go wild in. If you do wanna try some Windows VM or something, I'd probably suggest a 200GB+ drive, because Windows doesn't really like small spaces and works best when there's 60GB+ of room for it.

I wanna install Linux on my main PC. 

Which has a i7 8700, 8 GB of RAM, GTX 1060 3GB, 120GB of SSD and 1 TB of HDD in it. 

And I am gonna install ubuntu on it. 

One thing is that I have no idea what am I gonna do to make it run windows games. 

Do I need to fire up some VMs just to play games? 

I don't play games that much any more. When I do is was mostly League or starcraft 2. 

So, how do you play games on a linux machine? Also what about steam? Can I still gain access to all of my steam games? 

What do you guys suggest, convert my machine to Ubuntu OR get a secondary SSD and install Ubuntu on it and make my machine a duo boot one. 

If so, is 256 GB enough??? Cos not only I wanna use it daily, I want to install some other stuff too. 

Like mySQL, apache server and such, mainly for web development and such. 

What do you guys suggest?? Thanks! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

One thing is that I have no idea what am I gonna do to make it run windows games. 

Do I need to fire up some VMs just to play games? 

I don't play games that much any more. When I do is was mostly League or starcraft 2. 

So, how do you play games on a linux machine? Also what about steam? Can I still gain access to all of my steam games? 

What do you guys suggest, convert my machine to Ubuntu OR get a secondary SSD and install Ubuntu on it and make my machine a duo boot one. 

If so, is 256 GB enough??? Cos not only I wanna use it daily, I want to install some other stuff too.

No, you can't access all of your Steam-games, you can only play the ones that run under Linux natively. As for running games that don't run under Linux natively, you can use either Wine or a VM -- neither of which is a particularly good solution; Wine is buggy and not nearly all games work with it, and setting up a VM with GPU-passthrough and all is a lot of work. Also, if you set up a VM with GPU-passthrough, you'll have to disable the passthrough and reboot, if you want to use the GPU under Linux, and again enable the passthrough and reboot any time you want to use it in the VM.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Most people use wine in some form. crossover from code weavers is a commercial version that can make things easier and has a free trial. The latest thing is Lutris, which has multiple wine versions. There is also playonlinux, which is older than Lutris, and also has multiple wine versions.

Doing VMs requires PCI-E passthrough and is a pain to setup, but it gives roughly native performance and full compatibility if setup properly. You might be happier with wine based solutions though. I use the VM route for VR and I find it to be a headache.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, you can't access all of your Steam-games, you can only play the ones that run under Linux natively. As for running games that don't run under Linux natively, you can use either Wine or a VM -- neither of which is a particularly good solution; Wine is buggy and not nearly all games work with it, and setting up a VM with GPU-passthrough and all is a lot of work. Also, if you set up a VM with GPU-passthrough, you'll have to disable the passthrough and reboot, if you want to use the GPU under Linux, and again enable the passthrough and reboot any time you want to use it in the VM.

7 minutes ago, ryao said:

Most people use wine in some form. crossover from code weavers is a commercial version that can make things easier and has a free trial. The latest thing is Lutris, which has multiple wine versions. There is also playonlinux, which is older than Lutris, and also has multiple wine versions.

Doing VMs requires PCI-E passthrough and is a pain to setup, but it gives roughly native performance and full compatibility if setup properly. You might be happier with wine based solutions though. I use the VM route for VR and I find it to be a headache.

Do you guys think that It might be easier for me to just buy another SSD and install Linux on it?

Linux itself doesn't take much space, even a 32GB-drive is quite plenty. Obviously, a bigger drive lets you store more stuff on it and if you do decide to e.g. play with VMs or stuff later on, it's not a bad idea to go with a 120GB or bigger from the get-go, so you'll have plenty of room to go wild in. If you do wanna try some Windows VM or something, I'd probably suggest a 200GB+ drive, because Windows doesn't really like small spaces and works best when there's 60GB+ of room for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You can play all valve games, and some others but stick to windows for gaming. Also your gpu is underpowered imo for a 8700.

12 minutes ago, ryao said:

Vmware play & virtualbox do not require pcie passthrough & provide some 3d acceleration; vmware's is better.

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Also your gpu is underpowered imo for a 8700.

:P 

5 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

Vmware play & virtualbox do not require pcie passthrough & provide some 3d acceleration; vmware's is better.

That is good to know. I use KVM, so I did not know about that.

9 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

is it this one?  VMware player? 

https://www.vmware.com/asean/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html

14 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yep, I misstyped; it can be troublesome to get working, but it's 3d was the best.  I don't currently use it & it's not OSS, but it is free for noncommercial use

1 hour ago, jpenguin said:

Yep, I misstyped; it can be troublesome to get working, but it's 3d was the best.  I don't currently use it & it's not OSS, but it is free for noncommercial use

not as good as pci-e passthrough though... it's fine but i wouldn't want to play a lot of games with it.. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

not as good as pci-e passthrough though... it's fine but i wouldn't want to play a lot of games with it.. 

only league and SC2 should be fine right???

only league and SC2 should be fine right???

meh... you can try.. don't get your hopes up though... pci-e passthrough is still way way better. 

i can help you with setting up pci-e passthrough if you want. if vmware won't work that's the other option. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

meh... you can try.. don't get your hopes up though... pci-e passthrough is still way way better. 

i can help you with setting up pci-e passthrough if you want. if vmware won't work that's the other option. 

thank you! if I need any more info I will PM you !!

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

thank you! if I need any more info I will PM you !!

okay :) 

She/Her

On 8/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, Firewrath9 said:

You can play all valve games, and some others but stick to windows for gaming. Also your gpu is underpowered imo for a 8700.

You might as well as tell console gamers to stick to pc for gaming. Op chose Linux for a reason. 

Star craft 2 and league of legends are all supported games on playonlinux which means op can easily run then with wine.

There are shit tons more titles besides ones coming from valve. Many triple A games have Linux ports.

Sudo make me a sandwich