Can am2 cpus be used in am2+ sockets

So I can't afford to buy pc parts to build my new pc plan so I have to upgrade this old pc so it can be a temporary setup. So this pc is from like 2006 and it came with a amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core cpu. Which it uses the am2 socket and this socket is kinda limited on the cpu's that would be better then the current one. I looked up am2 socket cpus and found a quad core phenom at 2.3 GHz. But it uses a am2+ socket. So i am wondering if that cpu can be used in that am2 socket. I really hope it can because the pc really bottlenecks with a 750ti paired with the Athlon. 

If this helps this is the link to the site for the phenom: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE7CH3550&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-9SIA4RE7CH3550&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzK_bBRDDARIsAFQF7zPeRln86qzMHhIBDAT8CdpLawJ1zZCCCH60WJ8aktVuySyKyjsRok4aAkQfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, but you won't be able to take advantage of AM2+ features.

Note that you cannot use AM2+ CPUs in AM2 sockets.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's what he's asking he want's to run a phenom in a AM2 Mobo,  Which you can't do

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

That's what he's asking he want's to run a phenom in a AM2 Mobo,  Which you can't do

Yeah, I missed that and had to edit the last part in once I realized that.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Could you not get yourself a cheap AM3 mobo,  that'll give you lots of CPU options

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Like @Crunchy Dragon said its backward compatible (within the same socket lineup) but sometimes not forwards. I have had am3 CPU working on am3+ but it would not work the other way around. and then had another chip and it did. By the way, AM3+ systems are cheap! if you can get yourself a 9590 for 100, and a decent mobo fun little system puts out some heat tho! 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Nope, sorry I was wrong

AM2+ CPUs DO work on AM2 motherboards @Crunchy Dragon

Interesting, I thought AMx+ had an extra pin than their non+ counterparts, making that impossible.

Unless that pin doesn't exist in the socket, but the hole for it does...

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting, I thought AMx+ had an extra pin than their non+ counterparts, making that impossible.

well funny you should say that i've got an old ASROCK mobo that'll take AM2, AM2+ with DDR2 ram in two slots and AM3 and AM3+ with DDR3 ram in two different slots in the cupboard so i knew the physical side of things would work, just wasn't sure about the other stuff.  OP:  You may need a BIOS update before that phenom will work BUT it SHOULD work :)

32 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There are a couple of exceptions, though not much more than a hand full of Boards...

One of those I've linked down below.

32 minutes ago, GTX1060 said:

So I can't afford to buy pc parts to build my new pc plan so I have to upgrade this old pc so it can be a temporary setup. So this pc is from like 2006 and it came with a amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core cpu. Which it uses the am2 socket and this socket is kinda limited on the cpu's that would be better then the current one. I looked up am2 socket cpus and found a quad core phenom at 2.3 GHz. But it uses a am2+ socket. So i am wondering if that cpu can be used in that am2 socket. I really hope it can because the pc really bottlenecks with a 750ti paired with the Athlon. 

Depends on the Board. But most likely not.

You have to take a look at the CPU Support List and Phenom Support Lists.

There are some like this one:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M2NSLI_Deluxe/HelpDesk_CPU/

And if Phenom is supported, you can get a Phenomn X4/920 or something like that.

Though its not recommended.

please note that you need a BIOS with AGESA Support.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

24 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

AM2+ CPUs DO work on AM2 motherboards @Crunchy Dragon

SOME

Some AM2 Boards, not even most.

ASUS had the most IIRC, Gigabyte and MSI like 3-5 or so. Not that many did get a BIOS Update.

22 minutes ago, Mbarton said:

Like @Crunchy Dragon said its backward compatible (within the same socket lineup) but sometimes not forwards. I have had am3 CPU working on am3+ but it would not work the other way around.

AM3+ is a different beast entirely.

You can, if you're lucky, use an AM3 CPU in an AM2 Board.

AM3+ CPUs were incompatible to AM3 Sockets though.

21 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No, that was Am3 vs. AM2(+)

They have changed some things so that you can't easily insert an AM2 CPU in an AM3 Socket...

But AM3 CPUs can eventually, but probably not, work in AM2 Sockets.

I hope I could destroy any clarity you had with this issue :D:D

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"