what happened to luke's setup video thing?

Ashleyyyy

i remember a WAN show where luke said he wanted to run a machine on Linux with a Windows 10 VM that had it's own gpu or something and use one monitor for Linux and one for Windows. 

where did that idea go? something like that is actually pretty easy. i did that exact thing yesterday so i can run games on a Linux machine using a Windows VM.

it took me about 6 hours in total to set up, and i've never setup something like this before.

it seems like my pc is doing exactly what luke wants. i have Linux as my host OS, and a Windows VM which has a gpu allocated using pci-e passthrough... 

She/Her

Wasn't that what the collab with Wendell was for? Or did Luke specifically say that he was making a separate video about it?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

that wendell collab was a great video ^

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

22 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Wasn't that what the collab with Wendell was for? Or did Luke specifically say that he was making a separate video about it?

i can't really remember, that wan show was over a year ago i think. i just suddenly remembered it yesterday when i was setting this stuff up on my system...

21 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

that wendell collab was a great video ^

yep. that video inspired me to do that myself. 

She/Her

Honestly that wendell video almost convinced me to go Linux instead of Win10 haha

46 minutes ago, Rethilgore said:

Honestly that wendell video almost convinced me to go Linux instead of Win10 haha

you can dual-boot. 

She/Her

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, firelighter487 said:

you can dual-boot. 

I mean i definitely can but there's no real point :) if Win does everything i currently need what would i use a Linux dual boot for :)

On 8/11/2018 at 8:20 AM, Rethilgore said:

If you need any more convincing, Steam has launched tools to allow you to play non-linux native Steam games on Linux (basically WINE built in to Steam).
It's a good time to be jumping on that penguin.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you need any more convincing, Steam has launched tools to allow you to play non-linux native Steam games on Linux (basically WINE built in to Steam).

which one's and where can i find them? 

5 minutes ago, Rethilgore said:

I mean i definitely can but there's no real point :) if Win does everything i currently need what would i use a Linux dual boot for :)

Windows 10 is too buggy for me. it annoys me too much to use as my main OS. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

i spend like 99% of my time playing Blizzard games. used to run Linux back in the early days of Ubuntu and didnt have many issues back then but i just kinda drifted back to windows for reasons i can't remember now lol (probably Nvidia driver woes back in early days). would probs check it out again but would have be be something annoyed me like crazy to make the jump again (I'm just super lazy now)