Need some help with setting up my storge

mac30001

Right, so I built my PC about 2 years ago and have slowly been adding to the storage since. I was recently gifted 4 250gb SSD's and am planning to get a new 8TB hard drive however I'm struggling to find a way to get everything to fit,

My current setup is:

• Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Case
  • Intel i7-6700k Processor
  • Asus ROG Strix A8G GTX 1080 Graphics Card
  • Corsair RM650i Power Supply
  • 2x 8GB G-Skill TridentZ RAM DDR4
  • ASUS Maximus Hero VIII Alpha Motherboard

I currently have a 5TB HDD and a 3TB HDD for storage and a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for my OS

I now have been given 4 Samsung 840 Evo SSD's and am about to buy an 8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

From what I could figure online, setting up a 500GB Raid 10 out of the 4 SSD's wouldn't benefit me much in terms of boot time and windows speeds so I plan to keep my 250GB 850 EVO for my OS, have the 4 840 EVO's store my games that are currently stored on one of my HDD's so they have faster loading times then use the other 16GB of hard disk storage for media etc.

I'm fine in terms of mounting the hard drives, just need to order a couple more mounts. My issue is I only have 6 SATA ports on my motherboard, and I'll have 8 drives to plug in, here's everything my Mobo has: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ALPHA/

I've seen a few cards that I think I plug into a PCI port that give me extra Sata connections however I've read these can cause the drives to be slower and/or affect my graphics card?

I just wanted to see if anyone is able to help me out and possibly suggest a card that will give me at least 2 more Sata ports whilst not slowing my GPU or the drives (I was planning to plug my 3 and 5 TB HDD's into the card so it won't need to deal with SSD speeds). I've seen a few cards that also add a couple of USB ports to the back of my case which could be handy but not necessary.

Would REALLY appreciate any help and thanks a million in advance!!!

My name on everything is mac300010 but I messed up making my account on here so mac30001 it is B|

Eh. PCI-E ports are faster you'd only be sacrificing a bit of latency running the driver but nothing more than the videocard/internet adapters.

Can't recommend any but you'd be fine going that route! :)

--
To add:
x1 = 5Gbps x4 = 20Gbps and so forth, it should be enough speed. Hope this helps some.

I don't presume you have hundreds for a x8 card, but if you were doing serious work it could be an option otherwise x4 will handle 4 drives at nearly full speeds if all were being saved to.

• 2 weeks later...