msi gtx 1050 ti fans a little loud?

CR16

I built my computer last week and everything ran pretty quiet at first. I noticed some loud fan noise today though and after a little bit of investigation I came to the conclusion that it's my gpu (MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC). Even at idle it's fairly loud. Under load it sounds just as loud as it is when idle. Temperatures seem fine at 30C idle and not surpassing 60C under load. The fans are running at 45% RPM when idle which is as low as they go. I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor all that. Is it possible this card is just louder and I didn't notice it or is there something wrong with it? I'd like to add that I updated, or rather was forced to update, windows earlier today. I don't know if that could have any affect on it?

The fans might be running too fast. You should be able to configure them yourself and slow them down a bit when they're under load because if it's not surpassing 60C you have some room to work with.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

1 minute ago, AidenBear said:

The fans might be running too fast. You should be able to configure them yourself and slow them down a bit when they're under load because if it's not surpassing 60C you have some room to work with.

Like I said I can't set them lower than 45% on MSI afterburner. I'm wondering why all of a sudden they're louder when they weren't to begin with.

5 minutes ago, CR16 said:

The fans are running at 45% RPM when idle which is as low as they go. I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor all that

that doesn't sound normal for a pascal card... not sure if your card supports 0 fan idle mode

u can always set a custom fan curve using MSI afterburner

(also, check GPU usage... if it's 99% at idle... then you've got issues)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

that doesn't sound normal for a pascal card... not sure if your card supports 0 fan idle mode

u can always set a custom fan curve using MSI afterburner

(also, check GPU usage... if it's 99% at idle... then you've got issues)

I don't think it supports it. And usage is 5%...

3 minutes ago, CR16 said:

I don't think it supports it. And usage is 5%...

it could be bad GPU bios

or windows update broken something (not even surprised)

try uninstalling nvidia driver using DDU and re-installing it

10 minutes ago, CR16 said:

Like I said I can't set them lower than 45% on MSI afterburner. I'm wondering why all of a sudden they're louder when they weren't to begin with.

Oh so 45% is too loud. That's an issue then. If you're fairly sure that the card wasn't that loud when you initially got it then it may be worth contacting MSI and seeing if they will replace it. Before that though, like mentioned above I would try wiping the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

14 hours ago, Moonzy said:

it could be bad GPU bios

or windows update broken something (not even surprised)

try uninstalling nvidia driver using DDU and re-installing it

Uninstalled and reinstalled nvidia drivers with DDU and no luck. Fan noise is still just as loud. Under load I think it would be acceptable noise levels but at idle I think it sounds too loud. It's not horrific but it doesn't seem normal to me. I'm not really sure where to go from here?

17 hours ago, CR16 said:

Uninstalled and reinstalled nvidia drivers with DDU and no luck. Fan noise is still just as loud. Under load I think it would be acceptable noise levels but at idle I think it sounds too loud. It's not horrific but it doesn't seem normal to me. I'm not really sure where to go from here?

i suspect card issue... maybe send it in for RMA if it's still under warranty (probably is)

On 8/10/2018 at 7:38 AM, Moonzy said:

i suspect card issue... maybe send it in for RMA if it's still under warranty (probably is)

Hey, one more thing. I've started hearing some very faint, albeit audible whines coming from the gpu. I'm almost positive. Can't quite put my finger on it but they sound like tiny, high pitched whines. I've been playing some Minecraft on it and I noticed this weird occurrence when I look directly down at the ground, these high pitched whines start. When I look up, they go away in an instant.

After looking at MSI's website and seeing poorly-translated directions and navigation and having a hard time figuring out just where to find some technical help, I'm thinking about just sending the damn thing back to Amazon and returning it for a new one. I'm guessing it would be a lot quicker too.

1 hour ago, CR16 said:

Hey, one more thing. I've started hearing some very faint, albeit audible whines coming from the gpu. I'm almost positive. Can't quite put my finger on it but they sound like tiny, high pitched whines

That sounds like the fans are breaking. They shouldn't this soon but it could happen.

Have you checked dust buildup? It's not very probable to be the problem since your GPU is at normal temperatures, but some other component could be too warm because of dust.

3 hours ago, CR16 said:

I'm almost positive. Can't quite put my finger on it but they sound like tiny, high pitched whines.

sounds like coil whines to me...

coil whine sound video:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, xWood4000 said:

That sounds like the fans are breaking. They shouldn't this soon but it could happen.

Have you checked dust buildup? It's not very probable to be the problem since your GPU is at normal temperatures, but some other component could be too warm because of dust.

The PC is just over a week old.

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

sounds like coil whines to me...

coil whine sound video:

Hide contents

It's much more faint than that. I notice that whenever I put some stress on the card, it happens instantly and when I stop it goes away instantly. So, for example, if I leave or enter the nether, it happens while the world is loading in.

13 hours ago, CR16 said:

if I leave or enter the nether, it happens while the world is loading in.

it is mostly caused due to high FPS

game load screens normally have high FPS, and that causes coil whining

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue as well. Any luck on solving this issue? I just bought my new laptop like half a year ago...