Why doesen't new stuff release immediately after finish?

zindan

After they finished a cpu for example and it is fully capable of runing etc etc you know what I mean, the companies still wait a long time before releasing the product? Same with games and stuff. Why are they doing this ? Is it to like increase the publicity level of the product to make more money? Or what is it all about ?

for cpu chip it is because the current model cannot sell so they cannot release the new cpu. For games it is because they wanna test it and make sure the game has no issues.

2 minutes ago, malaysian gamer said:

for cpu chip it is because the current model cannot sell so they cannot release the new cpu. For games it is because they wanna test it and make sure the game has no issues.

What do you mean the current model cannot sell? You mean the 8th gen chips? Are they gonna wait until they sell all copies :o That is going to take a loooooong time, specially when they announce that the 9th gen will come out soon. This leads to even fewer sales of the 8th gen bcs people wanna save their money for 9th gen

4 minutes ago, zindan said:

After they finished a cpu for example and it is fully capable of runing etc etc you know what I mean, the companies still wait a long time before releasing the product? Same with games and stuff. Why are they doing this ? Is it to like increase the publicity level of the product to make more money? Or what is it all about ?

It's pretty simple. When you have a company that makes lets say a car and next year you make a new model but in order to make the most profit you wait. Wait until your first car reaches a point where you made enough money and the car doesnt sell very well anymore. You throw out the new model and bam people start buying it and this goes on and on. Like FIFA. They could easily publish the game earlier than they do. But they wont in order to increase the money made out of it. Other games dont release to build a bigger hype or make sure your game is flawless. All in all it's all about marketing.

It's so they can produce enough of the product to meet demand, while also packaging and shipping the finished product to all of the stores worldwide in preparation for release.

They also have release schedules that they stick to in order to capitalise on sale trends such as peak buying periods. For example how a lot of AAA video games release in mid November to early December when video game sales are high going in to the Christmas shopping period.

Other considerations are also market demand, supply, and competition from other manufacturers.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, zindan said:

They announce a product only when they are very close to make it or they are fairly sure that they are going to get it working. Most of the time they show a proof of concept or a dummie, the real product being manufactured or studied to fix some bugs. Also, most of the time, the mass production is in early state or it even didn't begun. Even for big factories, it takes time to make, test and ship millions of finish products. even if the rate of failed products are 0.1% there are still a lot of failed products for a million good products. 

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

It's pretty simple. When you have a company that makes lets say a car and next year you make a new model but in order to make the most profit you wait. Wait until your first car reaches a point where you made enough money and the car doesnt sell very well anymore. You throw out the new model and bam people start buying it and this goes on and on. Like FIFA. They could easily publish the game earlier than they do. But they wont in order to increase the money made out of it. Other games dont release to build a bigger hype or make sure your game is flawless. All in all it's all about marketing.

Pretty wise but hmm annoying for us who just wanna play games and don't care about all that shit :D

6 minutes ago, zindan said:

the companies still wait a long time before releasing the product?

usually after they finish the CPU, they have to start mass production and build up a stock. Then you have to take marketing into account. If the old chip still sells well, why bring out the new one already. Especially if you have near to no competition ...

8 minutes ago, zindan said:

Same with games and stuff

I don't know where you got that impression, but games are never really done. it is a form of art and a piece of art is never done.
Game companies usually have to start crunching months before the release date, to have any hope of making it. And in the process they usually end up cutting some features as well. That is why almost all the games get a lot of patches after it is released ... they were still so many bugs they didn't catch or things they wanted to add ..

Just now, zindan said:

What do you mean the current model cannot sell? You mean the 8th gen chips? Are they gonna wait until they sell all copies :o That is going to take a loooooong time, specially when they announce that the 9th gen will come out soon. This leads to even fewer sales of the 8th gen bcs people wanna save their money for 9th gen

Well 1 thing is to make a new product and other thing is to make affordable and user friendly, If I'm intel and launch quickly a new product there will be incompatibility issues and first batch allways are more expensive than others so why dont wait till you can bring a full cpu ? Just look ryzen at start, although it was tested and held it had problems because 100000...000 users will throw more fails than a bunch of testers, why rush and give bad pr to your product? like shooting in the feet? They dont need to hurry, I think that you are looking this as a consumer not as a developer..... Sure I will release my new processor losing money and pr for you to buy at cheaper cost whats the sense?

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

Even for big factories, it takes time to make, test and ship millions of finish products. even if the rate of failed products are 0.1% there are still a lot of failed products for a million good products. 

I bet Intel wishes they could have a failure rate of only 0.1% on their 10nm dies. :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

I bet Intel wishes they could have a failure rate of only 0.1% on their 10nm dies. :D

I made a general statement. It might be true for..... idk m5 screws? or spoon? xD  But yeah, they would wish it 

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Well 1 thing is to make a new product and other thing is to make affordable and user friendly, If I'm intel and launch quickly a new product there will be incompatibility issues and first batch allways are more expensive than others so why dont wait till you can bring a full cpu ? Just look ryzen at start, although it was tested and held it had problems because 100000...000 users will throw more fails than a bunch of testers, why rush and give bad pr to your product? like shooting in the feet? They dont need to hurry, I think that you are looking this as a consumer not as a developer..... Sure I will release my new processor losing money and pr for you to buy at cheaper cost whats the sense?

Yeah I get it. From a consumers perspective? Sure. Or Just someone who doesen't know all to much about marketing. The thought just crossed my mind as I am waiting for the 9th gen cpus and nvidia 1180

All products are the same, you anounce for good pr but you dont have the distribution set up to make at msrp why arguing about this? cars even houses are sold without built I dont think that this is IT related , I dont think that anyone wants to dont buy his product...  this is not fifa 18 to fifa 19 , this is a 2 company game that 1 screws up the other takes the charge, and has a lot of market... its easy to put a new product on the market.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

15 minutes ago, zindan said:

I sense a bit of anger in your way of writing. I don't know who stole your cornflakes but I simply wanted an answer to why companies behave in certain ways. I never assumed that it was bad or anything.

I wanna know what's taking so long and I got a lot of replies. No need to talk in that way. 

Don't sweat it, it's actually a very valid question, especially in the tech industry lately with nvidia being slow to release the next gen graphic cards as well as the delays Intel is facing in regards to 10nm production.

2 hours ago, zindan said:

-snip-

If I were you I would w8 till 2019 and 7nm ryzen that can speed things on intel side a bit, just need a little of amd breath in the neck to move.

Just now, Peskanova said:

If I were you I would w8 till 2019 and 7nm ryzen that can speed things on intel side a bit, just need a little of amd breath in the neck to move.

Absolutely not. I will stick with intel. Amd feels so rusty and broken and dumb.

I once had a amd gpu and they had this software called radeon something, it had this function when you played games u got points and was able to purchase stuff in their store. I gathered 2 years of points and then they removed the software, I was unable to purchase a single thing. Since then I have never ever bought another amd product and I won't ever do that. So AMD can eat my shit. The only way I am gonna start buying amd products again is if they gift me something worth atleast 600$. Which they never will.

3 minutes ago, zindan said:

Absolutely not. I will stick with intel. Amd feels so rusty and broken and dumb.

I once had a amd gpu and they had this software called radeon something, it had this function when you played games u got points and was able to purchase stuff in their store. I gathered 2 years of points and then they removed the software, I was unable to purchase a single thing. Since then I have never ever bought another amd product and I won't ever do that. So AMD can eat my shit. The only way I am gonna start buying amd products again is if they gift me something worth atleast 600$. Which they never will.

Im not telling you to buy amd, Im telling you that the only way that intel do things correctly is when amd is neck to neck with intel, so if amd throws to market a rx 480 for 260$ you know what does nvidia a 1060, (if amd didnt released a 480 you never saw a 1060) same with intel, if ryzen doesnt came to market probably we would have still 4 cores on i5 (and prob on i7).

So start to value amd, amd has done more for your gaming price than any intel guy...

1 hour ago, zindan said:

doubt they can even sell their 9th gen. Only rich gamers can buy new cpu every year. Even the gpu market they cannot release every year because mobile games is like killing pc and console.

3 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Im not telling you to buy amd, Im telling you that the only way that intel do things correctly is when amd is neck to neck with intel, so if amd throws to market a rx 480 for 260$ you know what does nvidia a 1060, (if amd didnt released a 480 you never saw a 1060) same with intel, if ryzen doesnt came to market probably we would have still 4 cores on i5 (and prob on i7).

So start to value amd, amd has done more for your gaming price than any intel guy...

The only problem with this is that AMD did it to make money, they didn't do anything "for" me. What they did for themselves turned out to be benefitial for me but this kind of behaviour does not earn gratitude. AMD is poop. Specially when it comes to gpu software.

2 minutes ago, zindan said:

The only problem with this is that AMD did it to make money, they didn't do anything "for" me. What they did for themselves turned out to be benefitial for me but this kind of behaviour does not earn gratitude. AMD is poop. Specially when it comes to gpu software.

Well for software I concede that to you but your first statement is totally wrong, AMD made rx480 260$ and months later it has been seen that amd lost money on that, and shiped 8gb rx480 (first batch)  as a 4gb one (if you bought first 1-3 months rx480 4gb you probably have 8gb version software caped) from what I've seen (rx 480 and 1060 / 1070 user) amd is best value but you need knowledge and tweak a few things and nvidia just slap it on pci and play... Amd is god for somethings (260$ for a 1060 like with 8gb ram was a steal , I had for that price and sold for 320$ at mining feever, who in the hell has bought a gpu that 3 months (or 4 ) later worth almost 20-30% more (not less xD insane amd) ) 

So dont be a fanatic of any brand, nvidia didnt want to release a 1060 till amd forced them and that is a fact, and selling rx 480 at lower cost than production is a fact also.

4 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well for software I concede that to you but your first statement is totally wrong, AMD made rx480 260$ and months later it has been seen that amd lost money on that, and shiped 8gb rx480 (first batch)  as a 4gb one (if you bought first 1-3 months rx480 4gb you probably have 8gb version software caped) from what I've seen (rx 480 and 1060 / 1070 user) amd is best value but you need knowledge and tweak a few things and nvidia just slap it on pci and play... Amd is god for somethings (260$ for a 1060 like with 8gb ram was a steal , I had for that price and sold for 320$ at mining feever, who in the hell has bought a gpu that 3 months (or 4 ) later worth almost 20-30% more (not less xD insane amd) ) 

So dont be a fanatic of any brand, nvidia didnt want to release a 1060 till amd forced them and that is a fact, and selling rx 480 at lower cost than production is a fact also.

Look man, I am not a fanatic. Fuck them both but if I have to chose between these fuckers I would rather choose nvidia. 

55 minutes ago, zindan said:

Look man, I am not a fanatic. Fuck them both but if I have to chose between these fuckers I would rather choose nvidia. 

You can choose whatever you want but you should know that when Athlon 64 released and kicked ass, Intel guys didn't know what 64-bit computing was at all and after that they adopted x86, x64 instructions sets from amd. So AMD was never poop at all. As i said in the past, one should always choose the best from each company.

5 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

You can choose whatever you want but you should know that when Athlon 64 released and kicked ass, Intel guys didn't know what 64-bit computing was at all and after that they adopted x86, x64 instructions sets from amd. So AMD was never poop at all. As i said in the past, one should always choose the best from each company.

Just because they were good once it does not mean that they are good now. 

Intel is the way to go for gaming and same goes for nvidia. Now however. 

Of that I am certain.

Marketing runs in parallel to production once the NDAs are lifted. But otherwise, it still takes time for volume production to ramp up and produce enough products for an initial launch. In the mean time, you can send out low-volume production parts like engineering samples so that others can test it, review it, etc.

17 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Intel made a 64-bit architecture, IA-64. It's just that it had so many design issues it never took off in any serious capacity.

6 hours ago, zindan said:

Simplest answer I can give.

Product is developed > goes into mass production stage > advertise product while building up stock > send out product stock to distributors and retailers. > sell product on release date.

A product wont sell unless it is advertised and a stock of the product is produced so that it can be released for sale for a wide spread area at the same time otherwise it will hurt sales, this is business 101.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER