High End PC is really hit and miss with performance

Hi guys.

Recently I have been having a lot of trouble with a new PC I have built. It is just 2 months old. Specs are as follows.
- Intel Core i5 8600k (stock speed at the moment)

- Asus GTX 1080

- Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming motherboard

- Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler

- Intel Optane PCIe 280GB SSD

- Silverstone ET650-HG Modular 650w Gold PSU

- Seagate Barracuda 4TB

- Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 RAM

I am beyond confused as to why I am getting these issues. Sometimes when it boots it is INCREDIBLY slow, as if it is running off a hard drive. Programs take forever to load (Chrome can take up to 10 seconds to even just launch, then more time to load the pages). Sometimes after booting it seems to be ok, still a little slow, but a lot better. I have checked the CPU usage and sometimes it spikes to 100% for only a second. 
I have tried the following:

- Overclocking CPU

- Setting RAM to its XMP

- Updating/Flashing BIOS

- Running RAM at stock speeds

- Using the TRIM feature

- Reinstalling Windows 10

- Running the PC without the hard drive connected

- Disabling any programs to launch on startup that don't need to be open.

- Running the SSD in another PCIe slot.

I was able to deal with it for a while, but now it is getting to the point where it is really annoying me, considering how much I spent on the PC (yes, I probably didn't need to buy an Optane drive) 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Try unplugging the 4TB hard drive and booting the system and see if it boots faster.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Try unplugging the 4TB hard drive and booting the system and see if it boots faster.

I have tried that. I have tried not running it at all. Doesn't seem to care about the hard drive.

You could try downloading a program such as CrystalDiskMark and testing the performance of the drive. This may give a pretty good indication if there is something wrong with the SSD or if the problem lies elsewhere in the system. If you're unsure what the results mean, just post a screenshot of your results here and we can tell you whether or not it appears normal.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This is the results from it. I ran it with nothing open except 1 Chrome tab. so that literally shouldn't make a difference. I'm not entirely sure if these are good results or not.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/gaming-enthusiast-ssds/optane-900p-series/900p-280gb-2-5-inch-20nm.html

That is a link to the exact SSD it is, the 280GB version if you need that.

Thanks!

Disk Mark Results.png

Check if you have windows fast boot enabled. It should be under the energy and power saving controls. It basically killed my performance on both my laptop and my desktop. Once you have disabled it try rebooting.

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

18 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

Check if you have windows fast boot enabled. It should be under the energy and power saving controls. It basically killed my performance on both my laptop and my desktop. Once you have disabled it try rebooting.

I think that might have worked. I disabled it and rebooted a few times and opened a heap of programs to test it. It seems to be running a hell of a lot faster and more responsive. Thanks for that! Who would have thought that of all things would cause it! Literally no change in boot time either so I don't understand the point of it. 

Anyway, thank you so much. Appreciate it man! :)

12 minutes ago, xWhitterS494 said:

I think that might have worked. I disabled it and rebooted a few times and opened a heap of programs to test it. It seems to be running a hell of a lot faster and more responsive. Thanks for that! Who would have thought that of all things would cause it! Literally no change in boot time either so I don't understand the point of it. 

Anyway, thank you so much. Appreciate it man! :)

Yeah luckily its a slow day at work and I saw your post! It's a feature that I think works well on optimized machines such as laptop e prebuilt desktop, it should basically save some stuff when shutting down so that when you turn on your pc, it loads stuff faster. More often that not it causes problems. Happy it fixed everything! 

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P