Weird modem issue leaves my tech support without ideas

Fantastics

Hello together!

I am having quite a weird problem with my modem or the connection between my modem and my router.

Currently i am using a Cisco EPC3212 modem and a Fritzbox 4020 router, which is working fine.

Since this router was not enough for my house i decided to buy something stronger and bought a Netgear R8000P.

The problem is that when I connect the new router to the modem I get no connection between the two (tried different ethernet cables). Since I first thought that it might be a faulty ethernet port in ther router i sent it back and got a new one. Same problem occurs. The "Link" light in my modem, which should as far as i know signal a voltage between modem and router is off. When I try to connect a different router or computer the light comes on and everything works fine.

My next try was to connect a different modem. I tried the exact same model from my neighbor and the internet worked just fine with the R8000P.

So, what I did next was to call my internet provider to ask for a new modem since apperently mine seemed to be faulty. The customer support said that it was absolutely impossible that my problem was as stated and they could not change my modem, since according to them the modem had no flaw because it worked with other devices. They also refuse to sell me a different modem. I am pretty much stuck here with a 250€ router, that i know works fine, just not with my modem.

Anyone got any idea what do to in my position? Can I use a modem from a different provider? I have an old one in a different apartment in a different city which i would need to get (dont really want to drive there if its not going to work anyway)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sounds like a duplex mismatch or negotiation is failing on the link speed auto detect.  Does the R8000P or modem have the capability of setting the link speed manually on the LAN port(s)?  Try setting it to 1000M full duplex and/or 100M full duplex and see if anything springs to life, I have seen duplex issues in the past on 1G links but we are talking like 10 years ago... would be unusual to see it these days.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Sad how shit the custom service sometimes can be. Back in March I had connection issues and my IPS sent me a new fresh modem. Yesterday I called again because my ping would sometimes spike to 2000 and fall back which for me as a six siege player means I'm getting kicked out of rounds for high ping. They sent another new modem without questions. And then there is you and they wont even sell it to you...shame

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

Sounds like a duplex mismatch or negotiation is failing on the link speed auto detect.  Does the R8000P or modem have the capability of setting the link speed manually on the LAN port(s)?  Try setting it to 1000M full duplex and/or 100M full duplex and see if anything springs to life, I have seen duplex issues in the past on 1G links but we are talking like 10 years ago... would be unusual to see it these days.

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I looked through my router interface but could not find any option to change the link speed of the LAN ports. Maybe there is a specific name for this option that i don't know though. As far as checking the same option for my modem, I really wouldn't know how to do this. Is there any interface to interact with the modem directly?

Just now, Fantastics said:

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I looked through my router interface but could not find any option to change the link speed of the LAN ports. Maybe there is a specific name for this option that i don't know though. As far as checking the same option for my modem, I really wouldn't know how to do this. Is there any interface to interact with the modem directly?

Assuming you have the EPC rather than the DPC modem variant, if the modem is in bridge mode it should be accessible via http://192.168.100.1 from your browser which is the generally accepted default IP for Docsis modems in bridge mode.  Login creds might be default which are user = admin pass = password but if you have ever changed them the modem will likely need a hard reset.

Have a look around the advanced options in the modem, see if you can locate any duplex configuration settings.  It will likely be set to Auto, try 1000M full duplex and see how it works.  If you lose access to the modem, simply hard reset it and it will default back to Auto.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

4 hours ago, Fantastics said:

Can I use a modem from a different provider?

Depends on where you live in the world. Here in the US, Cable providers legal have to allow us to use customer owned modems. I havent paid Comcast a rental fee in 5 years. Im currently using the SB6141. Though if the modem I seen you using is the right one google got me to, it looks like it supports phone service. If you are using phone service that changes things. It might be more difficult to find a modem compatible with phone service. Comcast my provider only has 1 retail option and they make you jump thru hoops to get it provisioned. Though any standard modem on the supported device list they will gladly provision. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Assuming you have the EPC rather than the DPC modem variant, if the modem is in bridge mode it should be accessible via http://192.168.100.1 from your browser which is the generally accepted default IP for Docsis modems in bridge mode.  Login creds might be default which are user = admin pass = password but if you have ever changed them the modem will likely need a hard reset.

Have a look around the advanced options in the modem, see if you can locate any duplex configuration settings.  It will likely be set to Auto, try 1000M full duplex and see how it works.  If you lose access to the modem, simply hard reset it and it will default back to Auto.

Thank you for your attempts to help me. I failed to login into the modem interface, since the password mentioned in the operational manual did not work and like 5 other passwords i found online did not either.

Anyway, I called customer service again, where my case apparently has been discussed all over the place, because a different person was on the phone and he knew all about the case and told me he had discussed this with his colleagues. They agreed to send me technician for free and in case he does not manage to repair it, they finally agreed to give me a new modem.