Was wondering if anyone knows of a guide or has successfully dual booted from a striped RAID 0 SSD array and a regular mechanical disk. I'm sure this is possible.

My thoughts were a mounted boot drive with grub but grub just points to the two operating system, one within the RAID 0 and the other within a mechanical drive. 

Anyone have success with this?

The stripe is my windows install, the linux install would be from the mechanical help. No need for a full guide, just wondering if anyone has any useful links.

wait what? striped how? with a proper raid card or... 

theoretically if it's with a proper raid card it should just see it as a volume and detect the OS, although i have no experience with this. 

what exactly do you want to do? because your writing is a little vague... 

She/Her

It's striped in RAID 0 using the mobo so technically software. Right now it boots from windows off the stripe. I don't want linux on the Stripe just windows. I have a second 3 TB "storage" drive as well. I take some of that, create a new partition, install linux, and then I want grub to see both the boot for windows on the stripe and the boot for linux on the 3 TB drive. Wondering if that sort of thing is possible, it most certainly seems like it should be. 

13 hours ago, Moldysponge said:

It's striped in RAID 0 using the mobo so technically software. Right now it boots from windows off the stripe. I don't want linux on the Stripe just windows. I have a second 3 TB "storage" drive as well. I take some of that, create a new partition, install linux, and then I want grub to see both the boot for windows on the stripe and the boot for linux on the 3 TB drive. Wondering if that sort of thing is possible, it most certainly seems like it should be. 

i've just put linux on a striped RAID 0, but for me it's a little different because i have a server motherboard in my system. so i have intel embedded server RAID on it. 

so in my case i can't have a RAID and separate drives outside of it. i have to add other drives as single volumes in the RAID controller software. i don't know how that works in your case, but theoretically it should just detect it, because grub will see the RAID and detect the Windows boot loader. 

can you tell me how the RAID software works on your board? can you have other drives outside of the RAID controller or do you have to add them as single volumes? 

She/Her

I've hit a satisfying result for myself. After messing around with the install I did install Ubuntu onto my mechanical drive, the grub boot loader is not picked up on boot - but after fishing around in the BIOS for 20 seconds I found my BIOS actually sees all the installs and i can launch an OS directly from there.

It's not amazingly convenient for getting into Linux, but because the boot order is adjustable and I only really need to change OS every time I want to work from home this isn't a terrible solution. And it's one for the time being I will just leave it at since most of the time I'm relaxing at home, not working, and I won't even think about the fact it boots directly into Windows.

Thanks for throwing some stuff out there.

4 hours ago, Moldysponge said:

I've hit a satisfying result for myself. After messing around with the install I did install Ubuntu onto my mechanical drive, the grub boot loader is not picked up on boot - but after fishing around in the BIOS for 20 seconds I found my BIOS actually sees all the installs and i can launch an OS directly from there.

It's not amazingly convenient for getting into Linux, but because the boot order is adjustable and I only really need to change OS every time I want to work from home this isn't a terrible solution. And it's one for the time being I will just leave it at since most of the time I'm relaxing at home, not working, and I won't even think about the fact it boots directly into Windows.

Thanks for throwing some stuff out there.

can't you chainload to your raid array or use easybcd to load grub from your windows bootloader

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Honestly, I'll check that out and mess around with it on another box. All your options are completely viable and true, I just ran into a solution which -- for my home/gaming pc -- is more than just a solution, it's actually preferred. Windows boots up extremely fast and I would rather not have a grub loading screen appear to slow down that process. For the times I would like to boot into Linux from this machine I'm more than happy to do it from the BIOS.