SCIO handheld molecular scanner is a scam?

I think there are 2 parts to this clash between Linus and thunderf00t:

The misunderstanding of the world "promote", with which tf was referring to bad science and linus interpreted as a literal promotion.

the second the false claims about the capabilities of this technology and these handheld scanner made in Techquickie.

Also, If you watch tf's newer response video he also makes a correction about a bad explanation Techquickie made about spectroscopy.

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

If you studied physics and chemistry in university then your point is completely moot. You claimed anyone would have seen it, if your evidence for that is that YOU'D have seen it as someone with a freaking degree in that sort of thing then I don't think there's anything to add...

In that case then sure, your knowledge was probably enough to tell it was nonsense - I assumed, based on what you said, that you didn't, otherwise your point wouldn't have made any sense (which turned out to be the case, my bad I guess).

When did the target of the argument shift from the general population to me in particular? I'm an engineer too, I know why this doesn't work (though personally, considering it's not my field of specialization, I would at least have considered the idea that they knew something I don't) and I hadn't seen that techquickie video before - but that is completely irrelevant. YOUR claim was this:

Which is bullshit. You don't get to adjust your argument after the fact just because I called you out on it. You have the same problem as TF himself - you can't see things from the point of view of someone who didn't make a career out of science and in your haste to ridicule them you forget what your point was in the first place.

The thing you claim is me "adjusting" my argument in an ad hoc justification but it was the first thing i said. Someone who knows high school science, or even just someone with common sense should be able to tell that a cheap plastic flashlight looking thing is probs bullshit.

The thing is, as "techy" people(literally has tech in the name) youd expect the people who made the video to be skeptical of something so obviously ridiculous.

6 hours ago, TimsTips said:

I think "Thunderf00t" just wanted clicks from a larger tech channel, and he got them. Screw that guy.

nope, he just destroys bad evidence videos and does crazy science things.  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs