Rate this rig. Good Enough? Alternate Suggestions?

Vectraat

2aGHQ4C.png

This is probably overkill. Friend is using it for stock trading/general use. Do you have any alternate component suggestions? Personally, I'm not sure about the RAM. Also, he wants monitors with THIN bezels. That's very important to him. I'm not sure if he should go with 4x 4k monitors or 2x Ultrawide 4k. He won't be using them for gaming. If you have any alternate hardware suggestions, I'd like to hear what you'd use instead and why. He has money to burn, but at the same time he also doesn't need to pay extra for hardware features he'll never use like high refresh, G-Sync, HDR etc. He kinda does want to future proof a bit though. Not sure why he picked a 1070. But he really just needs something good that'll support his monitors. Edit: I should note that he may be doing some very heavy computations with this machine. 

Yes, that is very overkill for stock trading, other than the RAM. Stock trading requires lots of windows open at one time, so that amount of RAM will be good. I would get a different brand, like g.skill, but that's my opinion.

Does he really need 4k for stock trading? 1080p monitors usually have thinner bezels because of the ease of manufacturing. Get a cheaper case, no need for side panels. I'm sure a stock trader doesn't care what the inside of his PC looks like. Add a mass storage drive as well, we don't want that SSD getting filled up too fast.

If he isn't gaming, doing 3d work or photo editing, why does he need a 1070? Unless he does do one of those things. A 1060 would suffice for non-gaming work on 4x 4k monitors.

Also no ultrawide. It's too much of a complication (organizing windows, etc)

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

33 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

2aGHQ4C.png

This is probably overkill. Friend is using it for stock trading/general use. Do you have any alternate component suggestions? Personally, I'm not sure about the RAM. Also, he wants monitors with THIN bezels. That's very important to him. I'm not sure if he should go with 4x 4k monitors or 2x Ultrawide 4k. He won't be using them for gaming. If you have any alternate hardware suggestions, I'd like to hear what you'd use instead and why. He has money to burn, but at the same time he also doesn't need to pay extra for hardware features he'll never use like high refresh, G-Sync, HDR etc. He kinda does want to future proof a bit though. Not sure why he picked a 1070. But he really just needs something good that'll support his monitors. Edit: I should note that he may be doing some very heavy computations with this machine. 

should get a titan v for the ultimate graph experience. jk, pretty good rig

1 minute ago, MrShinny said:

Yes, that is very overkill for stock trading, other than the RAM. Stock trading requires lots of windows open at one time, so that amount of RAM will be good. I would get a different brand, like g.skill, but that's my opinion.

Does he really need 4k for stock trading? 1080p monitors usually have thinner bezels because of the ease of manufacturing. Get a cheaper case, no need for side panels. I'm sure a stock trader doesn't care what the inside of his PC looks like. Add a mass storage drive as well, we don't want that SSD getting filled up too fast.

If he isn't gaming, doing 3d work or photo editing, why does he need a 1070? Unless he does do one of those things. A 1060 would suffice for non-gaming work on 4x 4k monitors.

maybe hell play from time to time, idk if he has time.

2x32gb memory?

why not just 4x16gb?

its pretty overkill, 32gb memory modules is still expensive.

do you really need that much memories?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, _CrisisRogue said:

maybe hell play from time to time, idk if he has time.

35 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

He won't be using them for gaming.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

rekt

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

2x32gb memory?

why not just 4x16gb?

its pretty overkill, 32gb memory modules is still expensive.

do you really need that much memories?

Stock trading requires lots of chrome tabs and stuff

/s yeah stock traders usually use up to 20gb at a time if they are really serious about it.

rekt

possibly a switch to a noctua U14 or the Noctua D-15

Also possibly switch to an xpg sx8200 960 GB or a WD Black 2018 1 TB as they might be less costly with similar performance in your market.

Rawr.

/s yeah stock traders usually use up to 20gb at a time if they are really serious about it.

yeah but not 64gb.

memories are easily expanded, try 32gb first, add another later.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

He's very serious/hardcore about stock trading, and he said he may need heavy computations, but wouldn't go into details about it. 

7 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

He said he'd be be interested in looking at specific recommendations for 1080p monitors. (I think the mentioning of thinner bezels caught his attention). 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

yeah but not 64gb.

memories are easily expanded, try 32gb first, add another later.

I misread that parts list :(

thought it was 32, my bad.

rekt

get the highest core count, i suggest ryzen 7 with 8 core 16 threads.

multiple tabs need multiple threading and not raw horsepower.

i think 32gb should be enough.

2 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

He's very serious/hardcore about stock trading, and he said he may need heavy computations, but wouldn't go into details about it. 

You might want to drop 32gb out of your 64, and use some of that to get a i9/threadripper.

I need to know what kind of computations, so I can tell if he needs a better GPU or CPU.

rekt

You might want to drop 32gb out of your 64, and use some of that to get a i9/threadripper.

I need to know what kind of computations, so I can tell if he needs a better GPU or CPU.

yeah get a threadripper with 16core / 32 thread at once, its a beast for only $999.

What sucks about most monitors is that they have small, small bezels on the sides and top, but huge bezels on the bottom.

Here is what I found:

Proportional bezels on each side, 1440p: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-2560x1440-IPS-Spkrs-MPN/dp/B01MCQV0NW/ref=sr_1_1?tag=monitnerds-20&ie=UTF8

Looks great, but has huge bezel on bottom, 1440p: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX27AQ-2560x1440-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00VRKVGSC/ref=sr_1_1?tag=monitnerds-20&ie=UTF8

Smallest bezels ever on sides, but huge bezel on bottom, 4k: https://www.monitornerds.com/lg-27ud68-p-review-4k-gaming-monitor/

If you want ultrawide: https://www.monitornerds.com/lg-34uc97-review-ultrawide-monitor/

rekt

He should go for a Ryzen, I know nothing about stock trading except that those who do that have a ton of programs with graphs and weird math stuff open at the same time and a Ryzen would be better, RAM is also important so 32 gigs is ok

4K monitors? really? what's the point? I mean... if he's not going to game on that build then regular 1080 screens would be enough, also why a GTX 1070? even a 1030 could easily handle that job, it doesn't need high CUDA count or extreme clock speeds

An SSD, 240GB just for the OS paired with a 1 or 2 TB hard drive would be better and cheaper than that overpriced stick

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

a 42+ inch 4k TV (not monitor) will do.

and tiles the tabs so you can monitor several graph at once.

He's now saying he *may do some gaming. I don't think he should go with anything less than 1070ti. Got any suggestions? And he agrees with you guys that the storage he chose could be a waste. He's looking for a higher value option. 

He's not married to 4k monitors, but he just wants monitors with THIN bezels. 
"If I go 1080p, it should have bezels about as thin as the LG i chose and be <$250"

11 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

He should go for a Ryzen, I know nothing about stock trading except that those who do that have a ton of programs with graphs and weird math stuff open at the same time and a Ryzen would be better, RAM is also important so 32 gigs is ok

4K monitors? really? what's the point? I mean... if he's not going to game on that build then regular 1080 screens would be enough, also why a GTX 1070? even a 1030 could easily handle that job, it doesn't need high CUDA count or extreme clock speeds

An SSD, 240GB just for the OS paired with a 1 or 2 TB hard drive would be better and cheaper than that overpriced stick

1. He said that he will be doing serious computations as well. So a thread ripper will be better suited.

2. With 1440p or 4k monitors, depending how far he is sitting from the screen, will make those many small windows clearer.

rekt

2 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

He's now saying he *may do some gaming. I don't think he should go with anything less than 1070ti. Got any suggestions?

If he goes with a 1440p monitor, which I reccomend, a 1060-1070ti will be fine for gaming on 1 monitor.

If he's not going to game much, let alone what game he's playing, I reccomend a 1060 or 1070, which can game fine on medium to high settings on AAA games on a 1440p panel at 60fps.

EDIT: 1070 not 1070ti, corrected.

rekt