R4 cards for 3DS

Camul

I'm looking to buy an R4 card that will work on a 3DS. Also, will I be able to use it to play normal DS games and Gameboy games? Not sure if this goes against the rules since last time I checked R4 cards themselves weren't illegal. 

I'm looking to buy an R4 card that will work on a 3DS. Also, will I be able to use it to play normal DS games and Gameboy games? Not sure if this goes against the rules since last time I checked R4 cards themselves weren't illegal. 

When I had my Nintendo DS Lite, I had an R4 where I could play DS games by downloading them.

I wouldn't think it would be legal as you're downloading games in the same way as torrenting "downloading movies, games for free".

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

When I had my Nintendo DS Lite, I had an R4 where I could play DS games by downloading them.

I wouldn't think it would be legal as you're downloading games in the same way as torrenting "downloading movies, games for free.

I never said that I was going to do anything illegal, like downloading games. I'm just interested in buying one of these cards. 

I never said that I was going to do anything illegal, like downloading games. I'm just interested in buying one of these cards. 

Isn't that what you get the R4 card for? Getting free games?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Isn't that what you get the R4 card for? Getting free games?

The only other thing that I know it's for is backing up game saves. Don't know the ins and outs though.

R4 cards arnt illegal but if if you update your 3ds after haveing non legal save game files on your ds , Nintendo will brick it , so do it at your own risk

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

R4 cards arnt illegal but if if you update your 3ds after haveing non legal save game files on your ds , Nintendo will brick it , so do it at your own risk

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll just get an emulator for Android to play normal DS games then. :)

Nintendo will not brick it. That is a myth. As long as you don't do any system updates before the card is updated you will be fine. All the cards have spoof games so it looks like you are playing a game. I do recommend getting an acekard 2i though. They are more compatible. You will be able to download homebrew programs that run GBA games.

If you want to play GBA games on a 3DS through a flash cart iirc you'll need something like the Supercard DSTwo which has a processor built into it for just that purpose (normal DS flash carts couldn't do it without using the gba slot as well as the ds is not quite powerful enough to emulate most DS games).

Thanks guys. I was just hoping to find a way to be able to play all of my old DS games again (grey area and such, or maybe this doesn't count), but being able to play GBA games is awesome. :)

Also, I think I'll stay clear of the gateway. I don't mind paying for new games, or at least games I've not bought and played before. 

Nintendo will not brick it. That is a myth. As long as you don't do any system updates before the card is updated you will be fine. All the cards have spoof games so it looks like you are playing a game. I do recommend getting an acekard 2i though. They are more compatible. You will be able to download homebrew programs that run GBA games.

Although, what would happen if I did end up updating the 3DS firmware before the cart?

The kart would not work, with the latest updates the karts don't function as ninty blocks them also not many karts work on a 3ds

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

The kart would not work, with the latest updates the karts don't function as ninty blocks them also not many karts work on a 3ds

Thanks.

I wouldn't think it would be legal as you're downloading games in the same way as torrenting "downloading movies, games for free".

they're nice for running homebrews and doing things with a DS you could never imagine otherwise like using an original DS as a multimedia device for listening to music, watching films, browsing the web etc.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, basically I wanna know the same thing. If I want to buy one, which one to get?

If I have a 3DS XL and a bunch of games I own but don't want to lug around with me I can put them on my card compeltely legal here, so there are no legal issues involved here. Just to get that out of the way.

Ofc that's not the only reason to get one. Homebrew is more important IMHO here.

Which one is the best?

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I used to import, make and sell R4 cards.

Unfortunately it is now illegal to import or sell them in the UK and Ireland.  There are only a couple of websites you can get them from but you need to pay by bank transfer as Paypal has stopped supporting them.

I was never going to transfer money to some website with no come back if things went wrong.

Not sure what "homebrew" stuff people run on them but I used to let buyers choose from a list of 1500 DS games.

Nothing to see here - move along.

So yeah, basically I wanna know the same thing. If I want to buy one, which one to get?

If I have a 3DS XL and a bunch of games I own but don't want to lug around with me I can put them on my card compeltely legal here, so there are no legal issues involved here. Just to get that out of the way.

Ofc that's not the only reason to get one. Homebrew is more important IMHO here.

Which one is the best?

I would be very interested to know how you copied an original 3DS game onto an R4 card.

I would be very interested to know how you copied an original 3DS game onto an R4 card.

If I own the game I may download a copied backup from the internet legally. I get your point but you are wrong as I'm not a UK resident, and as I'm a lawyer I have a pretty good understanding of contracts and ownership over here.

I don't have to copy my own cartridge, Jesus. I own the right to play the game and not THE copy I own per se, so I can download a backup from the internet totally legally.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

If I own the game I may download a copied backup from the internet legally. I get your point but you are wrong as I'm not a UK resident, and as I'm a lawyer I have a pretty good understanding of contracts and ownership over here.

I don't have to copy my own cartridge, Jesus. I own the right to play the game and not THE copy I own per se, so I can download a backup from the internet totally legally.

I wasn't implying anything, I was actually curious on how you copied the games.

I wasn't implying anything, I was actually curious on how you copied the games.

I didn't copy anything. I'd just download backups of them and that would be it :)

There are many reports of bricked 3DS consoles after using flash carts, its no myth. The thing is though its not illegal for Nintendo to "brick" the console since they are not breaking the console or damaging your product, they just block the operating system which the user does not own. 

When you buy a console you only own the HARDWARE. Stuff like software is licensed to you and you can only continue to use it as long as it is used appropriately and used within the companies terms, break the terms and they can LEGALLY take away the license. To be clear downloading back-ups of your 3DS games is legal, but attempting to play them on the 3DS is against the End User Agreement. Other companies have the exact same policy regarding unauthorised software use.

"After your Nintendo 3DS System is updated or changed, any existing or future unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS System, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your Nintendo 3DS System, will render the system permanently unplayable. Content obtained through the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS System will be removed."

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

There are ways of creating the backups yourself as well, you don't really need to use the internet (though it is a LOT easier lol).