Are my fans in the right config?

S h u r i k e n

Hi,

I've got a FD Define R6 (TG) with an 8700k and a strix 1080 (as in sig). The fans are setup like this:

(All stock FD fans, extras sourced from define s)

Front - 2x 140mm intake

Top - 2x 140mm Exhaust (i've got the optional top panel installed)

Rear - 1x 140mm Exhaust

Bottom - 1x 140mm Intake

CPU Cooler - Cryorig r1 ultimate 

What i've noticed is that all the hot air from the gpu is just pooling where it's fans are, the exhaust air is barely warm, and i can feel the exhaust of the gpu on the side panel in small, very hot patch

Is this the best arrangement of fans for this type of gpu?

Would better fans (eg noctua chromax) be a better option?

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

Are you Sure they are facing the right way.. for intake an exhaust.. 

If you havnt touched them, and they are in the config the came from the store, Id still check them, My Corsiar case, Had 3 stock fans, and 2 of them were the wrong way.

A simple way to check, Is to get a sheet of toilet paper, with the fans on, and place it on the outside of the case wehre the fan is, and the

Intakes should be not blowing the paper.

But the 

Exhaust should be blowing the papaer away. 

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

Maybe try the bottom fan as exhaust instead of intake, to take hot air away from the GPU. Keeps it from sucking in dust as well.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

We have almost the same set up and I don't have these issues.  Are you sure your fans are facing the correct way, the FD fans have arrows to show rotation and air direction.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

@K i a r a @Velcade 

Fans are defo facing the right way

@tikker

1. Bottom intake is filtered

2. The bottom fan placement is right at the front of the case, having it as an exhaust would affect the intake from the front

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

@Shuriken

Strange...  The bottom intake should help with GPU temps.  You shouldn't have issues what are your GPU temps? During gaming mine sits around 68'C

@Velcade

Mine usually tops out at 75ish C, i put the default fan curve up by 20% to help with that - i don't really care about the noise

- Me, 2018

@S h u r i k e n I'd double check your fans.  I'm running the identical fan, CPU, and GPU set up as you are and don't see these temps.  Are all your fans spinning?  How are your fan curves managed?  I have all the fans plugged into the R6 fan controller and have ASUS fan software [FanXpert 4] manage my curves.

@Velcade  I have all the fans on the R6's controller, using fanxpert4 to manage them. All the fans are defo spinning at full speed when i tell them to.

- Me, 2018

Your temps are fine. The graphics card cooler exhausts from its sides so it's normal that the side panel is warm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.