My PC worked 2 mins ago and now its... Kind of broken? not booting.

HK1

I recently built my new PC. I've installed all my stuff on it, I was using it and I went to increase the core voltage of my 2700x to 1.3v(I've done this before and everything was fine) then I exited the bios and I didn't get a boot, my x470-i's RAM light was blinking orange, I have 32gb ryzen supported ddr4 trident z RGB. So I powered it off by holding the power button and after turning it on again, It gave the usual this PC has been booted in safe mode message. I went into the bios and loaded the defaults but still I got no boot into windows(NOTE: I didn't just try to change the voltage, I also went to the SSD wipe thing Asus has but I didn't wipe it and just exited the thing). Then I went to my boot menu and told it to boot into 970 pro and it worked. It still goes to windows if I go to my boot menu, is it booting now from the boot menu because I held the power button and restarted it so it posted in safe mode and booted into windows? I just ran my RAM at at it's rated 2933mhz speed, I once overclocked it to 3200 and never higher, it always ran at 60c. Note: I don't have any other drives, just 1x 970 pro.

Btw I don't see anything on my monitor before holding the power button and going into safe mode, my monitor just does what it does when it detects a signal then after a while it says no signal :( the weird thing is it worked a few minutes ago and its been working for a 2 weeks. Anyone else faced this and fixed it? 

Thanks for the help 

Ok loaded defaults again and it worked. Now it boots fine but it's done some weird stuff before like blacking out on me and not booting at all after a power outage, I'm actually travelling and I get alot if power outages here :/

2 minutes ago, thedude4bides said:

What mobo?

nvm... missed it

What mobo?

nvm... missed it

What mobo?

nvm... missed it

X470i. Any ideas on why this happened? Just cause it worked now doesn't mean it might not happen again cuz this happened last week too but it happened for 4 boots then it worked :(

8 minutes ago, HK1 said:

X470i. Any ideas on why this happened? Just cause it worked now doesn't mean it might not happen again cuz this happened last week too but it happened for 4 boots then it worked :(

Not sure... can you set the boot order in bios to look at the drive you want first rather than boot menu?  

13 minutes ago, thedude4bides said:

Not sure... can you set the boot order in bios to look at the drive you want first rather than boot menu?  

It's the only drive I have as of now actually, I have 1x 970pro 512gb, I'm saving up for a 2tb sshd

@HK1 it might be having trouble memory training at those speeds with that much ram, i would just defualt your memory to 2133 and just test for a while and see if things are stable. But i just spit balling.

P.S what voltage are you using on your ram oc?

1 minute ago, Macxd said:

it might be having trouble memory training at those speeds with that much ram, i would just defualt your memory to 2133 and just test for a while and see if things are stable. But i just spit balling.

P.S what voltage are you using on your ram oc?

I've made it run at 3200 with auto overclocking, my ram is rated to run at 2933 without oc, it's rated to run at 2933. I've been running it at 2133 for the last 30 mins to eliminate any factors not letting it boot properly, I just booted into windows at 2933@1.2v.

4 minutes ago, HK1 said:

It's the only drive I have as of now actually, I have 1x 970pro 512gb, I'm saving up for a 2tb sshd

That may be true but your mobo will still look at other options first if your boot drive isn't at the top of the list.  Wouldn't hurt to set your 970 to be first.

1 minute ago, thedude4bides said:

That may be true but your mobo will still look at other options first if your boot drive isn't at the top of the list.  Wouldn't hurt to set your 970 to be first.

It is first, it's the only option.

3 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I've made it run at 3200 with auto overclocking, my ram is rated to run at 2933 without oc, it's rated to run at 2933. I've been running it at 2133 for the last 30 mins to eliminate any factors not letting it boot properly, I just booted into windows at 2933@1.2v.

i would set your memory voltage to 1.35v (completely safe) and that should help 1.2v is good up to 2666 but anthing past that for xmp profiles 1.35 is the defualt.

P.S and make sure your soc voltage is at 1.1v 

@HK1

here is a amd engineer talking about oc'ing on the ryzen platform very informative.

15 minutes ago, Macxd said:

i would set your memory voltage to 1.35v (completely safe) and that should help 1.2v is good up to 2666 but anthing past that for xmp profiles 1.35 is the defualt.

P.S and make sure your soc voltage is at 1.1v 

Ohhk it turns out I've only run at at 2933 with auto ram voltage turned on, the PC hanged after a few secs of booting into windows at 2933@1.2. I'll set it to 1.35.

Auto SOC voltage control is on, I'm quite new to overclocking, what does the SOC voltage do? I'll set it to 1.1 too

1 minute ago, HK1 said:

Ohhk it turns out I've only run at at 2933 with auto ram voltage turned on, the PC hanged after a few secs of booting into windows at 2933@1.2. I'll set it to 1.35.

Auto SOC voltage control is on, I'm quite new to overclocking, what does the SOC voltage do? I'll set it to 1.1 too

well i know on my b350 once i set my memory to 3200 @ 1.35v the soc is set to 1.1v so if you use hwinfo 64 your looking for Soc voltage (sv12 tfn) and see what it is reading. under load if its below 1.1v you will need to set in your bios, but DON'T go over 1.1.v. its help stabilize the memory controller when overclocking your memory.

24 minutes ago, Macxd said:

well i know on my b350 once i set my memory to 3200 @ 1.35v the soc is set to 1.1v so if you use hwinfo 64 your looking for Soc voltage (sv12 tfn) and see what it is reading. under load if its below 1.1v you will need to set in your bios, but DON'T go over 1.1.v. its help stabilize the memory controller when overclocking your memory.

Woah ok I tried 1.1v at manual and it kept crahsing so I put it back on auto, I set all my settings back to auto then I started a render in fusion 360, the voltage stats in the range 1.14 to 1.17 and the temp doesn't budge from 85.3c, all the cores are at 3.5ghz(they were staying at 3.8 but I think it thermal throttles to 3.5) im pretty sure those temps are really high for stock settings, in hwinfo64 it tell me my CPU package power draw is 96-97w which is less than the tdp, I really feel like my wraith prism isn't keeping up. I think this could be due to my first installation of the cooler being very shaky, I removed it to check and there was alot of thermal paste which had drooped off to the side, I wiped off the drooped thermal paste and just put it back on and the temps weren't very good so I removed it and pushed some of the thermal paste back to the center and then reinstalled the cooler. But the temps still suck, I'm gonna take some noctua nt h1 and re apply the thermal paste, I'm looking for a drop of at least 5c cuz it's 10c under tj max at stock settings without even hitting the tdp. From your experience are these temps normal for a 2700x?

36 minutes ago, Macxd said:

Btw I'm running at 2133 right now, the SOC voltage is 0.806v on auto, I let it do it's thing at 2933@1.1 SOC and 1.35 memory voltage but it hanged so I set it to auto, idk if I wanna run it at it's rated 2933 though cuz this PC is really compact, it stays in the 60c's for the ram at 2933@auto voltage, would it be safe to run 32gb at 2933 in a PC like this? Just take a look ?

Btw I'm adding 1x 92 for intake at the mobo&CPU area at the back and 2x 120s below the GPU, 1x 120 under the blower fan will be an intake and the other will be exhaust. This case is so tiny and awesome, I can literally hold it in the palm of my hand, carrying it is easyyy. I'm looking forward to getting a portable ac outlet power bank and having a battery powered PC but idk how long the battery will last when it's on load ?

IMG_20180730_121413_HHT-01.jpeg

@HK1 well what i know is 80c plus on ryzen is with in range but is consider really hot. i have never used more then 16gb memory but i believe that running 32gb ram and overclocking is much harder. And by the look of is you are choking off your cpu fan by being so close to the side of the case, so i would remove the side and see how your temps are.

30 minutes ago, Macxd said:

@HK1 well what i know is 80c plus on ryzen is with in range but is consider really hot. i have never used more then 16gb memory but i believe that running 32gb ram and overclocking is much harder. And by the look of is you are choking off your cpu fan by being so close to the side of the case, so i would remove the side and see how your temps are.

Ok I've tried running it without the panel on, now it runs at 85c@3.68ghz avg, the 2nd 92mm fan should help alot with the panel on.

I'm pretty sure that's still really hot for ryzen at stock settings, my CPU package power is now 116w though.

33 minutes ago, Macxd said:

I think I can run it at 2933 with some fine tuning but idk if I should cuz the orange light was always on the ram. I think 2666 would be better, what are your thoughts? 

@HK1 to be honest in gaming in testing i have done on my own system i see a very small increase between 2666 and 3200, and since i don't do any real productivity work i don't run my memory at 3200. i would not run at 85c for long periods of time thats just too hot for me, if its just a stress test temp then fine but not long term use. for example my 1500x under a blender test will get to 75c @3.8ghz 1.36v but in gaming even in a warm apartment it never goes over 58c with the stock wraith spire cooler. And idle its around 33-38c

16 minutes ago, Macxd said:

@HK1 to be honest in gaming in testing i have done on my own system i see a very small increase between 2666 and 3200, and since i don't do any real productivity work i don't run my memory at 3200. i would not run at 85c for long periods of time thats just too hot for me, if its just a stress test temp then fine but not long term use. for example my 1500x under a blender test will get to 75c @3.8ghz 1.36v but in gaming even in a warm apartment it never goes over 58c with the stock wraith spire cooler. And idle its around 33-38c

So is my 2700x getting excessively hot? Do you think replacing the Tim will help? I'll try replacing it and update here. I'm really damn sure it's getting too hot, it should be around 75c at this clock speed afaik

yea maybe reapply the thermal compound, also make sure your cooler isn't interfering withe the ram or anything on your mobo and its sitting flat against your cpu.

14 hours ago, Macxd said:

yea maybe reapply the thermal compound, also make sure your cooler isn't interfering withe the ram or anything on your mobo and its sitting flat against your cpu.

It's sitting completely flat, I'm sure about that. I'll have to.  Give the re application a shot.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, HK1 said:

Btw I'm running at 2133 right now, the SOC voltage is 0.806v on auto, I let it do it's thing at 2933@1.1 SOC and 1.35 memory voltage but it hanged so I set it to auto, idk if I wanna run it at it's rated 2933 though cuz this PC is really compact, it stays in the 60c's for the ram at 2933@auto voltage, would it be safe to run 32gb at 2933 in a PC like this? Just take a look ?

Btw I'm adding 1x 92 for intake at the mobo&CPU area at the back and 2x 120s below the GPU, 1x 120 under the blower fan will be an intake and the other will be exhaust. This case is so tiny and awesome, I can literally hold it in the palm of my hand, carrying it is easyyy. I'm looking forward to getting a portable ac outlet power bank and having a battery powered PC but idk how long the battery will last when it's on load ?

IMG_20180730_121413_HHT-01.jpeg

sorry if you seed it somewhere but what's that case it looks so good

On 8/6/2018 at 3:13 AM, lemonmusicrocks said:

sorry if you seed it somewhere but what's that case it looks so good

Ncase m1, it's expensive BUT THE BUILD QUALITY IS THE BEST YOU CAN GET PERIOD. It's an amazing case.