Question regarding updating motherboard Bios

ArchGamer
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

There's usually no reason to update the BIOS unless there are problems with the system such as RAM and/or M.2 device instability.

Hello Everyone,

I recently finished putting together my gaming rig and have been running it smoothly with no issues for the past two or so weeks. Is it worth it to update the Bios of my motherboard? I am currently a Gigabyte B360M DS3H paired with an Intel Core i3-8100 with the bios being the release version (F1).

There's usually no reason to update the BIOS unless there are problems with the system such as RAM and/or M.2 device instability.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Unless you're having problems and have ruled out every other troubleshooting option or there's a serious infectious piece of software going around and your BIOS needs a patch for it then you're better off leaving it alone. The update is more likely to make something stop working than make any addition improvement otherwise.

I agree with what others have said about bios.  For the sake of curiosity, you can always pull up notes from a manufacturer's website regarding the differences in bios versions to see if the newer bios updates are relevant, and/or you can contact the manufacturer's support to answer bios questions. 

On 7/31/2018 at 12:12 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does that also apply to CPU Microcode updates? The latest bios available apparently would update my CPU's microcode.

Just now, ArchGamer said:

Does that also apply to CPU Microcode updates? The latest bios available apparently would update my CPU's microcode.

That's probably worth having, then.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!