Red Cpu / Dram Light - System won´t boot.

Hey there. 

Was running C4D with Redshift IPR not activated, Substance Painter and Chrome with a bunch of tabs. Nothing which could defeat or overheat the system.  

After a quick restart it won't boot anymore. Black screen. No bios. Fans are running. But dont slow down as usually when detected bios, system. Never had issues with this anyway. Also under heavy load. 

I instantly tried to hard reset it with reset and start button, a bunch of times. After that i unplugged everything and removed the battery. After a couple of minutes, plugged the graphics card back in. Nothing changed.

I then noticed the dram red light on the motherboard blinking / flashing back and forth.

unplugged the ram sticks. But still nothing. 

Can somebody narrow down my possible options? And please don't say my cpu or board is dead ;( 

System

Ryzen 7 / 1700 / OC on 3,5 / Gigabyte Gaming AM350 / GTX 1070 / 4x8 gb OC on 2933 

Thx a million.

19 hours ago, dualzone00 said:

Hey there. 

Was running C4D with Redshift IPR not activated, Substance Painter and Chrome with a bunch of tabs. Nothing which could defeat or overheat the system.  

After a quick restart it won't boot anymore. Black screen. No bios. Fans are running. But dont slow down as usually when detected bios, system. Never had issues with this anyway. Also under heavy load. 

I instantly tried to hard reset it with reset and start button, a bunch of times. After that i unplugged everything and removed the battery. After a couple of minutes, plugged the graphics card back in. Nothing changed.

I then noticed the dram red light on the motherboard blinking / flashing back and forth.

unplugged the ram sticks. But still nothing. 

Can somebody narrow down my possible options? And please don't say my cpu or board is dead ;( 

System

Ryzen 7 / 1700 / OC on 3,5 / Gigabyte Gaming AM350 / GTX 1070 / 4x8 gb OC on 2933 

Thx a million.

I'd suggest to reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper, then try putting one stick of ram in at a time and trying different sticks and slots

Also, if you have a motherboard beeper that should come in handy

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

10 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

I'd suggest to reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper, then try putting one stick of ram in at a time and trying different sticks and slots

ok. thankyou. trying now cmos battery method again. then i will try with jumper.  

1 minute ago, dualzone00 said:

ok. thankyou. trying now cmos battery method again. then i will try with jumper.  

The battery method can actually be bad for the BIOS itself and generally doesn't reset the CMOS. I'd try the jumper method first, if you will

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

19 hours ago, LionSpeck said:

The battery method can actually be bad for the BIOS itself and generally doesn't reset the CMOS. I'd try the jumper method first, if you will

ok. just in time;  will try this first. thx

sadly that didnt work. still the same. system not booting. no bios. 

and flashing cpu/dram light. tried with one stick. with all four. etc. 

when i unplug the rams, the light is steady red on one side. but no booting. 

started to get a little worried. might be the motherboard? it is dead? 

Are there another options i can try? 

thx

2 minutes ago, dualzone00 said:

sadly that didnt work. still the same. system not booting. no bios. 

and flashing cpu/dram light. tried with one stick. with all four. etc. 

when i unplug the rams, the light is steady red on one side. but no booting. 

started to get a little worried. might be the motherboard? it is dead? 

Are there another options i can try? 

thx

Firstly, are you unplugging the RAM sticks with the motherboard on? I sure hope not...
I checked your motherboard's manual and website and there's no clue of troubleshooting, error codes or POST codes, so unfortunately Gigabyte decided that was not important
I'd suggest trying to unplug the CPU power connector only, as that would let the motherboard POST even if the CPU is dead: this will basically let us exclude that possible issue

Just now, LionSpeck said:

Firstly, are you unplugging the RAM sticks with the motherboard on? I sure hope not...
I checked your motherboard's manual and website and there's no clue of troubleshooting, error codes or POST codes, so unfortunately Gigabyte decided that was not important
I'd suggest trying to unplug the CPU power connector only, as that would let the motherboard POST even if the CPU is dead: this will basically let us exclude that possible issue

of course not ;)

ok. will try that now. 

hey. what should it supposed to do/look with cpu power unplugged. 

ive done that and the flashing red light is gone. steady red with one ram stick plugged. 

Just now, dualzone00 said:

hey. what should it supposed to do/look with cpu power unplugged. 

ive done that and the flashing red light is gone. steady red with one ram stick plugged. 

Ok, so before which LEDs were on and how were they behaving exactly? And what about now compared to before?

the cpu LED was steady red before and is steady red now. 

the dram LED was blinking before and is now off. (with one ram stick plugged)

(hope i have say it right. the LED facing to front side of case was blinking and the other was / is steady.) 

Also, forgive me if I already asked, but what's you PSU?

18 hours ago, dualzone00 said:

the cpu LED was steady red before and is steady red now. 

the dram LED was blinking before and is now off. 

(hope i have say it right. the LED facing to front side of case was blinking and the other was / is steady.) 

Ok, so this tells us that the motherboard catches the "missing CPU power" problem before the "other" issue (which doesn't let you turn on your PC properly). Unfortunately, without further troubleshooting help from the motherboard, I'm not really sure if we can define the issue with certainty, also because if we're dealing with a low-level problem (like CPU, RAM failure) the PC itself can't understand what's wrong. Still, we can make some assumptions based on logical reasoning and facts: the DRAM blinking LED's "disappearance" means that there's a problem now that there was not before and it's even more "low level" than the other one, which is us unplugging the CPU power. This means that the other problem is related to something that's checked by the POST after the CPU power, so it could be a CPU fail (overvoltage, a short, a VRM failure that brought to a 12V spike in the CPU which killed it), a RAM failure on all sticks (quite unlikely, statistically speaking, unless there's been a memory VRM failure), a memory controller failure (which on Ryzen is called SOC) and I'm not sure whether is onboard or embedded in the CPU. I don't think I can come up with more possibilities, but sure there may be

Do you know which VCCIN, VCORE and VSOC were you running before? As you said you had OC'd the CPU

11 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Ok, so this tells us that the motherboard catches the "missing CPU power" problem before the "other" issue (which doesn't let you turn on your PC properly). Unfortunately, without further troubleshooting help from the motherboard, I'm not really sure if we can define the issue with certainty, also because if we're dealing with a low-level problem (like CPU, RAM failure) the PC itself can't understand what's wrong. Still, we can make some assumptions based on logical reasoning and facts: the DRAM blinking LED's "disappearance" means that there's a problem now that there was not before and it's even more "low level" than the other one, which is us unplugging the CPU power. This means that the other problem is related to something that's checked by the POST after the CPU power, so it could be a CPU fail (overvoltage, a short, a VRM failure that brought to a 12V spike in the CPU which killed it), a RAM failure on all sticks (quite unlikely, statistically speaking, unless there's been a memory VRM failure), a memory controller failure (which on Ryzen is called SOC) and I'm not sure whether is onboard or embedded in the CPU. I don't think I can come up with more possibilities, but sure there may be

oh man. thats quite a few possible issues.  damn. 

i really cant remember exactly. but it was something like this. 

CPU freq 3500
Dynamic Vcore +0,096
Vcore SOC +0.012

Memory Freq: 2933MHz at 1.35V

2 minutes ago, dualzone00 said:

oh man. thats quite a few possible issues.  damn. 

i really cant remember exactly. but it was something like this. 

CPU freq 3500
Dynamic Vcore +0,096
Vcore SOC +0.012

Memory Freq: 2933MHz at 1.35V

Which brand and model is your RAM? It's so unlikely that all of the RAM got fried at the same time, so I'd exclude that, because: 1. the VSOC seems really safe, the memory voltage is normal for DDR4, the freq is higher than normal (because it's OC'd, and btw did you set the timings, did you let the BIOS change them or are were they the same as the stock frequency?), the VCORE is super safe I'd say and CPU freq normal too... So, it seems unlikely that OCing the components fried them. It may be a VRM failure of some sort (generally CPU, I've never heard of RAM VRMs giving the ghost) which may have killed the CPU altogether, or something in the motherboard, but I can't think of something in particular, so I guess it's unlikely

10 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

ram is 

2x CORSAIR Vengeance LPX schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200,

till the F22 bios update from march this year, i wasn´t able to get them over 2400. since then 2933 was possible.

even higher i guess. xmp profiles never worked btw. 

timings i set to 16-18-18-36. which are stock of the ram. 

i know u list a ton of possible issues. but what u think is more likely. (already looking for possible new parts)

kinda need this to be fixed asap due a few deadlines i have to catch. 

always happens in the perfect moments.  also just checked. my warranty end was 2 weeks ago. perfect ;x 

huge thx for breaking this down with me btw. 

6 minutes ago, dualzone00 said:

ram is 

2x CORSAIR Vengeance LPX schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200,

till the F22 bios update from march this year, i wasn´t able to get them over 2400. since then 2933 was possible.

even higher i guess. xmp profiles never worked btw. 

timings i set to 16-18-18-36. which are stock of the ram. 

i know u list a ton of possible issues. but what u think is more likely. (already looking for possible new parts)

kinda need this to be fixed asap due a few deadlines i have to catch. 

always happens in the perfect moments.  also just checked. my warranty end was 2 weeks ago. perfect ;x 

huge thx for breaking this down with me btw. 

That's really good RAM, it won't fail on its own. Also, RAM VRM failure is unlikely. Though, you should explain better what "XMP profiles never worked" means, that sentence worried me. CPU VRM failure is more likely, which would've killed the motherboard bringing the CPU with it. Possible. CPU death on its own, quite strange, generally caused by VCCIN spikes, but with that OC is unlikely, especially with modern motherboards which SHOULD have CPU overvoltage protection. The motherboard seems the weakest point of the build, but with that 65W CPU doesn't seem unreasonable, neither. I can't say for sure, unfortunately, but I'd say CPU and / or motherboard. Try buying a new motherboard, maybe from another manufacturer (I'd highly suggest ASUS), if it works, you're good to go, if it doesn't, buy a new CPU: at that point, you can easily try all combinations and understand what does and does not work. This only applies if you want to keep the same platform (Ryzen AM4). You can then send back and get refunded for what you didn't need, though it's not a great way to find out what works

i meant the one xmp preset which is on that bios never worked. tried a lot to get it over 2400 but it really was an early bios issue combined with the fact i am using 4 sticks ive been told.

indeed. cpu would be kinda weird. especially since i switched to gpu rendering, the cpu is barely in full use and hardly went over 50°+  ..  compared to before, where it was on full load most of the time.

motherboard sounds reasonable to me as well. i will get one tomorrow i guess. 

lets hope the best :)

thanks a lot for your time man! 

8 minutes ago, dualzone00 said:

i meant the one xmp preset which is on that bios never worked. tried a lot to get it over 2400 but it really was an early bios issue combined with the fact i am using 4 sticks ive been told.

indeed. cpu would be kinda weird. especially since i switched to gpu rendering, the cpu is barely in full use and hardly went over 50°+  ..  compared to before, where it was on full load most of the time.

motherboard sounds reasonable to me as well. i will get one tomorrow i guess. 

lets hope the best :)

thanks a lot for your time man! 

XMP profiles are written in the RAM chips themselves, so that's why I thought it was strange; also, they're always tested and should work just fine... Anyways, I was glad to help you through the troubleshooting process, and be sure to let me know how that goes! Wish you the best luck with that board replacement!

thx mate. i will. :) cheers

well, in fact it was the motherboard. bought and just installed the asus prime-plus. low price board but since i build a new machine anyways soon this will do it for sure.  

also great that i still have a warranty on that gigabyte board. :)

thx again for your time man. really appreciate.