Laptop Scuzzy??

I'm probably going to get crucified for this, but i'm trying to modernize an old Panasonic ToughBook (CF-29) and i'm having trouble sourcing an adapter for an SSD.

Anytime i look into what adapter i need, all i can find is SCSI

220px-Scsi-1_gehaeuse.jpg.d78b35a30ca08b581c4c70bd6f577fd4.jpg

Clearly not what i have.

If it's not full size Scuzzy (god bless sata), what do i need?

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm gonna be honest, you're likely not going to find an adapter that'll let you use an SSD in that machine.

Any other solutions? USB to Sata perhaps? (Despite it only having USB 2...)

This was supposed to be fun...

Wow that thing is ancient, and it looks like the kind of laptops you would find in a cop car.

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Wow that thing is ancient, and it looks like the kind of laptops you would find in a cop car.

It is, it's served most of its life in an Ambulance. Specs are pretty crappy but build quality is incredible. Considering i was given 4 of them, might as well not let it go to waste.

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

It is, it's served most of its life in an Ambulance. Specs are pretty crappy but build quality is incredible. Considering i was given 4 of them, might as well not let it go to waste.

Lol, those things must have survived a beating for all those years in an Ambulance. But yeah, I can see why you want to put them to good use.

4 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Lol, those things must have survived a beating for all those years in an Ambulance. But yeah, I can see why you want to put them to good use.

This is the nicest and newest one of them all, has only been run over twice..

0.jpg.818a4a425dfaef44304b649dda5d4b5c.jpg

I'm almost certain that laptops post 2000 don't have SCSI ports because of how stupidly large they were.

However that laptop should have a SATA port. Though if it has an IDE instead, you might be able to fit something using https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Drive-Adapter-Female-Connect/dp/B0185LC04Y but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

This is the nicest and newest one of them all, has only been run over twice..

Lol it must have felt like a speed bump for them since it didn't get crushed. Though I found out your port is a SCSI-1 / STYLE CENTRONIX C50.

Reference: http://www.cablek.com/technical-reference/scsi

Looking at replacement parts for that model of Toughbook, the storage drives all come with PATA interfaces and Ebay tells me PATA SSDs are reasonably common.

Well, okay, not common, but available from at least one unheard of Chinese brand.

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm almost certain that laptops post 2000 don't have SCSI ports because of how stupidly large they were.

However that laptop should have a SATA port. Though if it has an IDE instead, you might be able to fit something using https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Drive-Adapter-Female-Connect/dp/B0185LC04Y but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would assume it could.

Old drives are in a foam cage making the drive bays huge, Thickness was never a concern... I want to throw in an SSD so idc about shock resistance.0.jpg.0b7777903e11fef029e522b72d9285bc.jpg

1 minute ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I would assume it could.

The only way to add shock resistance is with lots and lots of foam. Therefore, the drives are in a cage and the drive bays are huge... I want to throw in an SSD so idc about shock resistance.

Well that's definitely an IDE connector.

EDIT: Just to compare to confirm it's not SCSI:

cube.jpg

16 minutes ago, Granular said:

Looking at replacement parts for that model of Toughbook, the storage drives all come with PATA interfaces and Ebay tells me PATA SSDs are reasonably common.

Well, okay, not common, but available from at least one unheard of Chinese brand.

I'm not spending more than $50 for 60gb or less. good suggestion though, but i already have the drive i want to use.

36 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I'm not spending more than $50 for 60gb or less. good suggestion though, but i already have the drive i want to use.

Well, what kind of SSD is it?

PATA to mSATA adapters go for about $7. PATA to SATA adapters go for less, but probably wouldn't fit inside a laptop.

9 hours ago, Granular said:

Well, what kind of SSD is it?

PATA to mSATA adapters go for about $7. PATA to SATA adapters go for less, but probably wouldn't fit inside a laptop.

It's just a standard 2.5" sata ssd