Cpu overheating but pc shop says it's fine. Nani?

So my cpu is a i7 6700k on an Asus Maximus Hero VIII motherboard, and it was overheating. So I took it to where I got it built. They reset and updated bios and rearanged everything. I kept getting temps of 90 to 95 with a 4.2 clock(stock turbo boost) on prime95!

BUT No Crashes.

I took it back in to the shop and it's not the cooler. It's either the cpu or motherboard. They are now telling me its fine, as long as it's not crashing after testing or getting errors. They said if the temp doesn't hit 100 and the cpu crashes or shuts down and it's fine. I paid $80 to get everything sorted, so this guy can tell me it's fine at 95 on 100% with stock clock and a water cooler. What is going on, and what do I tell this guy? My pc parts are 2 years old and I know warranty is 3 years. He's telling me even after 3 years they'll still replace it if they need to.

I'm starting to think that he thinks I'm stupid and will just let my cpu die and ruin my pc so I have to buy a new one because warranty runs out in a year?

Any help is appreciated!

CPU - i7 6700kMotherboard - Asus Maximus Hero VIII,  RAM - G.Skills 2400 16gb (2x8gb),  GPU - Gtx 980 ti Strix,  Storage - Samsung 500gb m.2 ssd, Seagate 3tb NAS sataII,  PSU - Seasonic bronze 650x,  Display(s) - Acer Xb271hu,  Cooling - H100i GTX,  Keyboard - Octane RGB,  Mouse - Logitech G502,  Sound - Logitech G560 Lightsync,  Operating System - Windows 10 Home

It's hot. Seems hot for a normal load but prime95 is artificial. I think that is still high but others will know!  

What's the temps at normal loads?

They said the cooler is ok but they probably didn't even open it up. All they said is they ran tests for 20 minutes and it would reach 90 to 95 but no crashes or errors and that It should be okay. I paid $3500 Australian dollars for this and this guy is screwing around with me because I don't know alot about pc problems., It's still at the shop, I'm getting it tomorrow. 

CPU - i7 6700kMotherboard - Asus Maximus Hero VIII,  RAM - G.Skills 2400 16gb (2x8gb),  GPU - Gtx 980 ti Strix,  Storage - Samsung 500gb m.2 ssd, Seagate 3tb NAS sataII,  PSU - Seasonic bronze 650x,  Display(s) - Acer Xb271hu,  Cooling - H100i GTX,  Keyboard - Octane RGB,  Mouse - Logitech G502,  Sound - Logitech G560 Lightsync,  Operating System - Windows 10 Home

9 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

So my cpu is a i7 6700k on an Asus Maximus Hero VIII motherboard, and it was overheating. So I took it to where I got it built. They reset and updated bios and rearanged everything. I kept getting temps of 90 to 95 with a 4.2 clock(stock turbo boost) on prime95!

BUT No Crashes.

I took it back in to the shop and it's not the cooler. It's either the cpu or motherboard. They are now telling me its fine, as long as it's not crashing after testing or getting errors. They said if the temp doesn't hit 100 and the cpu crashes or shuts down and it's fine. I paid $80 to get everything sorted, so this guy can tell me it's fine at 95 on 100% with stock clock and a water cooler. What is going on, and what do I tell this guy? My pc parts are 2 years old and I know warranty is 3 years. He's telling me even after 3 years they'll still replace it if they need to.

I'm starting to think that he thinks I'm stupid and will just let my cpu die and ruin my pc so I have to buy a new one because warranty runs out in a year?

Any help is appreciated!

although its true that if the cpu doesn't hit 100 degrees its fine, it's best to stay below 80 degrees so that your cpu has maximum lifespan. It can't not be the cooler, like if its not the cooler what the actual flip could it be... i mean it's not the vrms... and also did you delid?

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

2 minutes ago, rogueone said:

It's hot. Seems hot for a normal load but prime95 is artificial. I think that is still high but others will know!  

What's the temps at normal loads?

Normal loads like running firefox, with obs, a game, discord and Spotify all at the same time is around 60 to 75 but then with just YouTube videos it's around 45 to 55. On idle it is around 30 to 35 sometimes goes down to 29. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

They said the cooler is ok but they probably didn't even open it up. All they said is they ran tests for 20 minutes and it would reach 90 to 95 but no crashes or errors and that It should be okay. I paid $3500 Australian dollars for this and this guy is screwing around with me because I don't know alot about pc problems., It's still at the shop, I'm getting it tomorrow. 

Although you may have the best cooling solution.. the thermal conductivity between the chip itself and the heat spreader has a better bottleneck due to intel's fudging budget thermal paste ffs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

2 minutes ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

although its true that if the cpu doesn't hit 100 degrees its fine, it's best to stay below 80 degrees so that your cpu has maximum lifespan. It can't not be the cooler, like if its not the cooler what the actual flip could it be... i mean it's not the vrms... and also did you delid?

I didn't delid it. It was perfect on 4.3 clock with 1.26 volts not going over max of 79 with prime95 a couple months ago. All of a sudden, it turned into a microwave.

Your just giving yourself pain, grab a hyper 212 evo and call it a day, your fans will run quieter too.

Quick solution would be to swap out the thermal paste with something like NT-H1

Edit

Hold on! 

H100i?! Damn thing is probably dead or not attached properly, I would look into it ASAP

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Just now, ChickenSnitt said:

I didn't delid it. It was perfect on 4.3 clock with 1.26 volts not going over max of 79 with prime95 a couple months ago. All of a sudden, it turned into a microwave.

hmmm.. since you're paying them 70 bucks maybe tell them to help you apply new thermal paste cause bloody hell 70 bucks i should open a shop 

Just now, PokiDaSpitz said:

hmmm.. since you're paying them 70 bucks maybe tell them to help you apply new thermal paste cause bloody hell 70 bucks i should open a shop 

Yeah $70 USD pretty much. This is the 3rd time I took it back in 1 week because they never sorted the issue. They are supposed to be professional and even have decent shop with a drone section. They have wasted my time to be honest.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Everyone here is great and really responsive.

Have you tried adjusting the fan profile and pump speed through Corsair Link?

I have the same CPU and cooler. 90°C does seem hot for stock clocks. Did you check that the CPU voltage in the BIOS is set to default/automatic?
As mentioned, Prime95 does put a huge artificial load on the system. Try AIDA64 benchmark with just "Stress CPU" Selected and see what temperatures you get as that test is a little less demanding than Prime95 (pretty sure it works in the trial version).

The h100i is known to have pumps fail, so make sure the pump is running correctly. Corsair Link will display the pump RPM, and you should be able to feel/hear the pump running on the unit. Reapplying the thermal paste would be a good first step as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Sharif said:

Your just giving yourself pain, grab a hyper 212 evo and call it a day, your fans will run quieter too.

Quick solution would be to swap out the thermal paste with something like NT-H1

Edit

Hold on! 

H100i?! Damn thing is probably dead or not attached properly, I would look into it ASAP

Yeah the h100i man haha that's why I'm so confused. It was blowing hot air on the tests. Like It turned into a heat gun. On idle it's cool but after a while it's warm. 

They tested another cooler on my pc though! They said they switched it and got the same results that's why they said it's not the cooler. So it's either the cpu or even motherboard.

1 minute ago, ChickenSnitt said:

Yeah the h100i man haha that's why I'm so confused. It was blowing hot air on the tests. Like It turned into a heat gun. On idle it's cool but after a while it's warm. 

They tested another cooler on my pc though! They said they switched it and got the same results that's why they said it's not the cooler. So it's either the cpu or even motherboard.

It's probably the AIO or thermal paste I would recommend telling the shop :) to let them check both lol 70 bucks man.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Have you tried adjusting the fan profile and pump speed through Corsair Link?

I have the same CPU and cooler. 90°C does seem hot for stock clocks. Did you check that the CPU voltage in the BIOS is set to default/automatic?
As mentioned, Prime95 does put a huge artificial load on the system. Try AIDA64 benchmark with just "Stress CPU" Selected and see what temperatures you get as that test is a little less demanding than Prime95 (pretty sure it works in the trial version).

The h100i is known to have pumps fail, so make sure the pump is running correctly. Corsair Link will display the pump RPM, and you should be able to feel/hear the pump running on the unit. Reapplying the thermal paste would be a good first step as well.

Fan profile is on performance and the cpu on stock turbo boost of 4.2. They tried a different cooler and it was still reaching that high.

The shop is going to send that pc back to me and it will nuke my room and entire pc. 

2 hours ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

It's probably the AIO or thermal paste I would recommend telling the shop :) to let them check both lol 70 bucks man.

Yeah I'll tell them. I know right! I got robbed haha thanks man

9 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

Fan profile is on performance and the cpu on stock turbo boost of 4.2. They tried a different cooler and it was still reaching that high.

The shop is going to send that pc back to me and it will nuke my room and entire pc. 

You have to remember that Prime95 is not a real world test. It puts an extremely high demand on the CPU and the temperatures you experience running Prime95 will not be indicative of normal use or while gaming.

If they've ruled out the cooler by replacing it with another and testing, then I would recommend checking what your CPU voltages are set to in the bios. For whatever reason they may be set high (ie. if you were overclocking previously but removed the OC) and causing the excess heat. If you're not overclocking then just set them to default/automatic.

I've downloaded Prime95 and running small FFT test now with the cooler fans in 'Performance' mode with the CPU at its base clocks to replicate what you have. I'll let it run for half an hour or so and report back with the temperatures. After a few minutes it's still sitting at ~60°C on the CPU and around 33.7°C on the water temp, but the CPU will go up once the radiator heats up some more. I don't think I'll hit anywhere near 90°C on the CPU though.

What case do you have?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

You have to remember that Prime95 is not a real world test. It puts an extremely high demand on the CPU and the temperatures you experience running Prime95 will not be indicative of normal use or while gaming.

If they've ruled out the cooler by replacing it with another and testing, then I would recommend checking what your CPU voltages are set to in the bios. For whatever reason they may be set high (ie. if you were overclocking previously but removed the OC) and causing the excess heat. If you're not overclocking then just set them to default/automatic.

I've downloaded Prime95 and running small FFT test now with the cooler fans in 'Performance' mode with the CPU at its base clocks to replicate what you have. I'll let it run for half an hour or so and report back with the temperatures. After a few minutes it's still sitting at ~60°C on the CPU and around 33.7°C on the water temp, but the CPU will go up once the radiator heats up some more. I don't think I'll hit anywhere near 90°C on the CPU though.

What case do you have?

I run the small fft test too! The bios settings for the voltage and everything is default. The bios was reset and updated too. When I had my pc with me though, the voltage was going from 1.248 upto 1.375 on gpu-z. My case is the Corsair Graphite 780T Full Tower. Thankyou for checking it out.

Here is the test. I stopped it after 30 seconds because it hit 95 :/

20180724_195739.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

Here is the test. I stopped it after 30 seconds because it hit 95

That quickly? Wow. I didn't realise it was heating up so quickly, I thought you were talking about after an hour or so of testing, not instantly.

Well I've had Prime95 running for about 30 minutes now. My radiator water temp has stabilised since I last posted, now sitting at 33.6°C. Average temps are in the high 50s across the cores, with small peaks of low 60s. Definitely something wrong if you're hitting 95°C on the cores after a few seconds.

Spoiler

image.png.845e79ab88708bc9f796d3553d70e23e.png

13 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

When I had my pc with me though, the voltage was going from 1.248 upto 1.375 on gpu-z.

Those voltages look a little high. Just to confirm the readings, what does HWinfo64 report the voltages as? My voltages were at 1.1V, peaking at 1.2V, though for some reason Core 0 wasn't turboing up to 4.2GHz (I probably have turboboost disabled and forgot), but an extra 200Mhz on one core won't make that much difference. In the past I've run at 4.5Ghz across all cores at 1.35V(?) and been lower than 80°C.

Spoiler

image.png.e472a613a5109ada18d7fdebb3f7b336.png

19 minutes ago, ChickenSnitt said:

My case is the Corsair Graphite 780T Full Tower.

That case should be able to provide enough air flow for the rad. Where is it installed? Top exhaust or front intake?
Are you using the stock corsair fans that came with the cooler? Are both fans spinning?

What does Corsair Link report the pump RPM to be?

The fact that it is heating up so quickly makes me think it's either the CPU is not making proper contact with the heatsink (bad thermal paste, no thermal paste, incorrectly mounted, etc), maybe the pump isn't working correctly, or possibly an air bubble trapped in the loop.
You said they tested with another cooler, do you know which cooler they used to test? If it was just the stock intel cooler then it will hit 95°C anyway, but if it was another 240mm AIO then it shouldn't be going that high, so it may be an issue elsewhere (probably voltages).

56 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That quickly? Wow. I didn't realise it was heating up so quickly, I thought you were talking about after an hour or so of testing, not instantly.

Well I've had Prime95 running for about 30 minutes now. My radiator water temp has stabilised since I last posted, now sitting at 33.6°C. Average temps are in the high 50s across the cores, with small peaks of low 60s. Definitely something wrong if you're hitting 95°C on the cores after a few seconds.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.845e79ab88708bc9f796d3553d70e23e.png

Those voltages look a little high. Just to confirm the readings, what does HWinfo64 report the voltages as? My voltages were at 1.1V, peaking at 1.2V, though for some reason Core 0 wasn't turboing up to 4.2GHz (I probably have turboboost disabled and forgot), but an extra 200Mhz on one core won't make that much difference. In the past I've run at 4.5Ghz across all cores at 1.35V(?) and been lower than 80°C.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.e472a613a5109ada18d7fdebb3f7b336.png

That case should be able to provide enough air flow for the rad. Where is it installed? Top exhaust or front intake?
Are you using the stock corsair fans that came with the cooler? Are both fans spinning?

What does Corsair Link report the pump RPM to be?

The fact that it is heating up so quickly makes me think it's either the CPU is not making proper contact with the heatsink (bad thermal paste, no thermal paste, incorrectly mounted, etc), maybe the pump isn't working correctly, or possibly an air bubble trapped in the loop.
You said they tested with another cooler, do you know which cooler they used to test? If it was just the stock intel cooler then it will hit 95°C anyway, but if it was another 240mm AIO then it shouldn't be going that high, so it may be an issue elsewhere (probably voltages).

That was a test when I had the pc.

Well voltages are at default/auto. So it's pushing itself, not me.

The guy said he used a water cooler. I don't know which one though.

My water cooler is top exaughst.

The pump rpm was around 2000 last I think.

It could be that they didn't check the water cooler properly and it's that Or it's either the cpu or motherboard

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

What case do you have?

I had a h80 paired with overclocked and certainly overvolted 6600 that got 60 degree at max with prime95 test, something is very off

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

You said you live in Australia. What is your ambient room  temp there?

That being said for 70 bucks they should have been able to provide you with more answers. They should have checked the TIM application, they should have checked the cooler, if they checked both of those an STILL saw the high temps, then they should have seen about dropping the voltage some to see if that will help. If they did those 3 things, then I would have considered replacing the CPU and sending it back to intel as a warranty item (after already providing you a CPU from the shop)

Now as for voltages I haven't played with a 6700k, but I have got a system with a 7700k. If I have it at stock clocks it only needs about 1.17-1.18 for 4.5ghz. I run 5.2ghz at 1.29  if I remember correctly. So your voltage is definitely high and this is a known issue for a auto settings with a handful of board manufacturers.  

9 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

You said you live in Australia. What is your ambient room  temp there?

That being said for 70 bucks they should have been able to provide you with more answers. They should have checked the TIM application, they should have checked the cooler, if they checked both of those an STILL saw the high temps, then they should have seen about dropping the voltage some to see if that will help. If they did those 3 things, then I would have considered replacing the CPU and sending it back to intel as a warranty item (after already providing you a CPU from the shop)

Now as for voltages I haven't played with a 6700k, but I have got a system with a 7700k. If I have it at stock clocks it only needs about 1.17-1.18 for 4.5ghz. I run 5.2ghz at 1.29  if I remember correctly. So your voltage is definitely high and this is a known issue for a auto settings with a handful of board manufacturers.  

Its 9am my room temp is 15 degrees Celsius right now, won't go higher than 25 today.

These guys are telling me to take my pc back with the temps hitting 90. Says that after the 3 years runs out it can still be replaced. No it can't.

I'm having a very good word because they said they done all this and saying it's fine at 95.

I've seen many videos of my chip and motherboard with the cooler also and they never went that high.

Honestly, just the temps when watching YouTube seem a bit high considering your cooling solution.

I'm on an 8600k, in Linux (no video acceleration so CPU works harder) and linger around 40C with an air cooler watching 1080p 60fps, in a cramped ITX case, with the fans not set particularly high until the CPU hits 60C.  Prime does thermal throttle, but then its expected with my setup (I need a better cooler especially as I'm overclocking).

With a big case and vastly more cooling than I have, I fail to see how you are hitting those temps unless something is very wrong.  Even if it IS voltage settings in the BIOS, considering how much you paid the store they should be looking at fixing that for you.  The fact it suddenly happened (assuming it wasn't after a BIOS update?) is all the more concerning.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I rang them up just before. 

They told me it hits the 90'safter a few minutes but should be ok...

Then I said no because it wasn't like that, hence the reason I took it back to where I got the parts ordered through and built. Then they tell me if you want to rma you will have to do it yourself. (Asus and intel told me to get the pc shop to do it, not me) 

I then had to explain that I had gotten everything through them and that they have to do it and they asked me what I want to rma!! 

Shouldn't they know! 

I told them since they swapped the cooler and it wasn't that, to send the motherboard and cpu. This is ridiculous. They are useless.

Thankyou everyone, this is such a hassle.

10 hours ago, ChickenSnitt said:

I rang them up just before. 

They told me it hits the 90'safter a few minutes but should be ok...

Then I said no because it wasn't like that, hence the reason I took it back to where I got the parts ordered through and built. Then they tell me if you want to rma you will have to do it yourself. (Asus and intel told me to get the pc shop to do it, not me) 

I then had to explain that I had gotten everything through them and that they have to do it and they asked me what I want to rma!! 

Shouldn't they know! 

I told them since they swapped the cooler and it wasn't that, to send the motherboard and cpu. This is ridiculous. They are useless.

Thankyou everyone, this is such a hassle.

What is the name of the shop? Did you ask to speak with a manager (specifically a key holding manager). It is pretty apparent these people just aren't quality technicians and I would make sure the manager understands your frustration with this. Honestly, I don't buy prebuilt, but in this situation I would tell him to just take back the whole damn PC and issue me a full refund... then I would take that cash and buy elsewhere. Then again not everyone can pull that type of thing off, I just tend to be a little more "persuasive" than others

Get in touch with Corsair regarding the issue, as there seem to be some fault with the cooler. Now there is one issue, since Corsairs product page of the Corsair H100i (which is the cooler you have, if i read correctly.) does not state a rated heat dissipation in wattage. However, the H100i does come with mounting brackets for the Intel socket 2066. This socket supports the I9-7880XE, which is a thermal output of 165W, compared to your i7-6700K thermal output of 91W.

In effect, Corsair guarantees that their cooler will effectively keep a significantly hotter CPU running within Intel specification. I would contact Corsair, explain the situation then take it from there. Seeing as the CPU throttles around 80 degrees C, it's clearly not running within Intel specification at 95 degrees C.

I'm not sure on Australian consumer laws. But i seriously doubt the original manufacturer will have to handle RMA. You don't call up Bama to replace rotten produce when your local store leave out old bananas, do you?

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum