Liquid metal vs good paste? (8700k)

Hey all - just got an 8700k and the news was no joke :P It's a really hot chip. i got it to 5.2 (hoping it's stable later) at 1.42 but it's going up to the 90's and i kill the test. i can get 5.0 at 1.35 and it hovers in the low 80's. I'd like to get that back to the 70's at least. I'd be happy with a solid 5.0.

Anyway, as the title suggests, i'd like to know if there's a HUGE difference between using liquid metal vs replacing the TIM on the die/heat spreader with good quality stuff. 

It's a long-haul build, so i'd like to not tear my loop apart if something fails with the LM.

yes/no. the real issue isn't the TIM per say, but the distance of the die from the IHS due to the use of the adhesive to glue the IHS to the PCB.

there is a better thermal conductivity from standard pastes to liquid metal and prolly enough to lower the degrees for your comfort.

gamers nexus has a lot of data supporting the use and need for such a replacement. especially, for you and your needs for 10°+.

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

yes/no. the real issue isn't the TIM per say, but the distance of the die from the IHS due to the use of the adhesive to glue the IHS to the PCB.

there is a better thermal conductivity from standard pastes to liquid metal and prolly enough to lower the degrees for your comfort.

gamers nexus has a lot of data supporting the use and need for such a replacement. especially, for you and your needs for 10°+.

thanks!
So even just delidding it, scraping off the glue and replacing the TIM would potentially close the 'gap' enough to get better conductivity between the die and spreader.. heck, regular grizzly paste should be viscous enough to hold the ihs in place until i get a block on it

in most cases, yes. just be aware when you have to remove the CPU later, that this ball of mess will come apart and liable to damage something.

why do i know, i had my 3770k de-lidded and went to remove it from my MIVE-Z and damaged 8-pins as the IHS went one-way and the CPU PCB dug into the socket pins. after straightening the pins a best could lost B-DIMMS (no dual channel). so there is that to look forward to.

7 minutes ago, airdeano said:

in most cases, yes. just be aware when you have to remove the CPU later, that this ball of mess will come apart and liable to damage something.

why do i know, i had my 3770k de-lidded and went to remove it from my MIVE-Z and damaged 8-pins as the IHS went one-way and the CPU PCB dug into the socket pins. after straightening the pins a best could lost B-DIMMS (no dual channel). so there is that to look forward to.

good call! that's great to know previous to doing it! :P I'm about to pull my delidder off the printer any minute!

wonder if i put a dab of superglue on the corners, that'll save it? i assume it's thin enough it wouldn't impact cooling performance -- I could replace the paste then clamp it down with the tool and dab on the glue in a few dots on the corners. Should make it a bit easier to keep the IHS in place moving it around too

On 7/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, airdeano said:

if going to reglue, use RTV sealer (dab in a corner) do not use cryo-glues.

holy moley! there was hardly any paste at all! :P gonna scrape off the glue and re-paste after work. Will follow up. Thanks again for all the helpful tips :) 

MVIMG_20180730_132805.jpg