Windows Audio Service Not Running - Can't Start

MandicReally

So I was trying out some new Overclock settings today and after a few failures, boot cycles, etc, I realized my PC suddenly has no sound.

I get the red X over the speaker in the system tray.  Run Services.msc and sure enough "Windows Audio Service" is not running.  I hit "start" and it just says it cannot start the service. Check all of the services it is dependent on and all of them are running just fine.  

So I uninstalled my Audio devices and updated to the latest Realtek drivers.  No change.  Updated my chipset drivers, then repeated the Realtek audio drivers reinstall.  Still no change.  So I went to Realtek's site to get different audio drivers (had been using ones from Gigabyte's support for my motherboard).  Still no change.  

I'm at my wits end with this thing.  It is strongly looking like the only way I am going to get my audio services back up and running is a Reformat.  So before I do that, anyone have any advice?

System specs in my signature.  Windows 10 is build 17134.165

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

This may be strange question - did you try to plug jack into different port? It doesn't matter if it's mic or audio out, most of that cards can detect jack changes and change inputs/outputs. And without any jack plugged in, you'll get red X over the speaker in the system tray. I'm saying that maybe that jack port is somehow bad - worth trying (no time and no cost). Try both - front and back.

Second suggestion, before reinstall - made Ubuntu live USB and check if it works in different system. If not - reinstalling Windows gives you nothing.

I actually haven't tried a different port.  My case (tower 900) makes accessing the I/O difficult so I just use the front ports.  When I disconnect the audio jack and replug it in the realtek software detects the change and asks what I plugged in.  However Windows still doesn't play anything.

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

So check all audio options because it seems to work proper. Plug jack into microphone. Check even volume slider or mute function. And check that ubuntu bootable usb - it's easy way to be sure.