what am4 motherboards support next gen ryzen cpus?

Premoz1

You can google this easier than I can reply but I have nothing better to do. All am4 boards are "supposed" to have full support for all am4 cpu's through 2020. This is a slight mistranslation however as from what I've heard some of the lower end a320 and perhaps b350 boards might not have the VRM/power delivery to drive future 8 core+ chips. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Technically all of them, but overclocking of 12+core CPUs will be not recommended for all but the best motherboards.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

all of them

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

In theory, all of them.

But i will explain why or why not that might be the case.

1) Manufacturers and AMD:

So, the way it goes is, AMD launches new CPU's and makes a piece of code available that allows motherboards to communicate with the cpu's.

Thing is, it's up to the manufacturer to take that code, develop it into a BIOS and then make it available.

It's possible some manufacturers say "we won't launch a new BIOS with support for the new AMD cpu's". But that's up to the manufacturer, not AMD.

2) (as already mentioned) the VRM.

So, every motherboard has a VRM, it basically takes the 12V from the PSU and turns into whatever voltage the CPU wants. Now, if you increase the core count, the power consumption increases as well. Which means more power needs to go to the CPU and that's the task of the VRM.

Some VRM's are designed with the 6-core and 8-core cpu's we have today in mind. So the VRM is designed to power those kind of cpu's, but nothing more than that. This is mostly the case with cheap motherboards.

If you put in a 10 or 12-core cpu in those motherboards, the VRM will be pushed harder than it was meant for, overheat and throttle. Result is that the CPU doesn't get enough power so it will throttle as well.

High-end boards (X370 and X470 boards) usually have a VRM that's overbuilt. Which means it can handle much more than an 8-core, even an overclocked one. This means you can easily install cpu's with more cores (10+) than there were originally available without getting problems with the VRM.

You can compare this to an engine and gearbox (engine = cpu, gearbox = VRM). Let's say right now there are engines with up to 80hp, if your gearbox is designed for engines with 80hp that's fine right now. But if there are engines later on released with 100 hp and you use those, the gearbox will be dead quite quickly.

However, if you have a car with a gearbox that can handle 160hp, even tho only 80hp engines existed when it was being sold, you won't have any issues if you install a 100 or 120hp engine later. The gearbox was overbuilt from the factory and over-spec which means it can handle the newer, more powerful engines.

Might be a crappy comparison (especially because the flow of energy is the wrong way) but whatever.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

ok i will get x470 aorus ultra gaming