IPv6 no internet access

JohnCarlHenry

The IPv6 of my laptop doesn't have internet access but my IPv4 does. I've already tried anything from resetting winsock, renewing ip config, changing dns server and updating my drives. what to do?

Did it work before?

In most cases ISPs have not fully rolled out IPv6 support for their networks so you won't have internet access over IPv6. In 99.9% of cases you can ignore it and continue on for now.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, JohnCarlHenry said:

The IPv6 of my laptop doesn't have internet access but my IPv4 does. I've already tried anything from resetting winsock, renewing ip config, changing dns server and updating my drives. what to do?

Does your ISP offer internet over IPv6? If not, then there's your answer. I know for one that my ISP doesn't. Local only.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

A large portion of my education is about networking. Take it from me: You don't need IPv6. Not yet. IPv4 still covers everything you need. The practical difference between IPv4 and IPv6 from a consumer perspective is basically non-existent at this point. In some cases, due to the way the ISP has chosen to set it up, it's performing worse than just using IPv4 for everything.

But if you still want IPv6, here what needs to be in place:

• Your ISP need to assign IPv6 addresses and route IPv6 traffic (This is probably the issue)
  • Your DNS needs to resolve AAAA records (If it doesn't, whatever server you were using must be running ancient software)
  • Your router and whatever other network equipment you're using must support IPv6
  • Your router needs to be configured to receive IPv6 addresses from the ISP and assign IPv6 addresses to clients
  • Your router needs to be configured to route IPv6 traffic (Or, in other words, IPv6 must be enabled)
  • Your network adapter needs to support IPv6 (unless it's from the 90s, it probably does)