If only Cars were as Plug-n-Play as PCs are...

cluelessgenius

so lately at work theres a corvette c5 in the parking lot and i cant stop admiring it. I just like the simple exterior design.

but then again that thing is from 2005 and the interior looks pre-2000s.

so i started dreaming...if only i could swap the interior from a mazda x-5 ND in there..

..and while were at it change the engine for something modern and practical for daily use, maybe even a soft hybrid.

but all the software and then theres TÜV in germany means that that would never be street legal, i cant imagine.

if only you could swap engine in and out like a GPU. get a chassis like its a case. idk i just needed to share that thought what do you think? 

Bildergebnis für corvette c5

Bildergebnis für corvette c5 interiorBildergebnis für mazda mx 5 alcantara interior

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Modular interiors would be awesome, but I think it's just a pipe dream, even within single manufacturers and their different models!

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

You can mix and mash, as long as you're willing to fabricate most (if not all) of the mounting points.

It seems like you want the look of the car, but not the power that comes with it. Some people buy normal everyday cars and then create a custom exterior using fiberglass or hard foam

8 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You can mix and mash, as long as you're willing to fabricate most (if not all) of the mounting points.

It seems like you want the look of the car, but not the power that comes with it. Some people buy normal everyday cars and then create a custom exterior using fiberglass or hard foam

yeah but those look yanky as hell. on idea would be something like "B is for Build" does on youtube and just build a frame and rollcage and then plop a chassis over it and an interior in it.

but still makeing all the software work seems like a nightmare and the fact that id never get it street legal here stays. 

also i have nothing against the power but gas is pricy and a 6.something litre engine isnt really doable on a daily imo

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

yeah but those look yanky as hell. on idea would be something like "B is for Build" does on youtube and just build a frame and rollcage and then plop a chassis over it and an interior in it.

Chris buys wrecked cars, I'm talking about cars that haven't been in an accident

Here's an example of a custom made exterior + interior:

Spoiler

but still makeing all the software work seems like a nightmare and the fact that id never get it street legal here stays

You will still be able to use the OEM ECU if you used most original electronics, if not then an aftermarket ECU is also an option

also i have nothing against the power but gas is pricy and a 6.something litre engine isnt really doable on a daily imo

I feel ya, I thought you meant having a lot of power in wet/cold conditions

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

if only you could swap engine in and out like a GPU. get a chassis like its a case. idk i just needed to share that thought what do you think? 

Maybe you can do that in EVs? I don't know much about EVs so correct me if I'm wrong :P

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

If your a good enough mechanic and fabricator then anything is possible.  

It's just usually not worth it.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

10 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

but still makeing all the software work seems like a nightmare and the fact that id never get it street legal here stays. 

I daily a 6.2L (LS3) powered SS. It's 100% worth the gas bill.

More to the point, you can easily do this even in Germany-- motor swaps are legal.

What you might want though is to do a Flyin' Miata LS3 conversion into an ND. A friend has one of their NA miata builds....and Goddamn that's a riot.

I've got a motor swapped m3 track car...things are plug and play as long as you have time, patience, skill, and/or money to pay someone else.

They'll never be as simple as computers, but computer tinkering is a great gateway drug for cars!

You can swap OEM parts all you like tbh

Technically you can 'swap parts out' you just have to make sure the other components are capable of working with it. Like in a nuc you can't put a desktop titan V as you can't just put a v16 in well, any car. The easiest solution to being able to do something like this are electric cars. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

21 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so lately at work theres a corvette c5 in the parking lot and i cant stop admiring it. I just like the simple exterior design.

but then again that thing is from 2005 and the interior looks pre-2000s.

so i started dreaming...if only i could swap the interior from a mazda x-5 ND in there..

..and while were at it change the engine for something modern and practical for daily use, maybe even a soft hybrid.

but all the software and then theres TÜV in germany means that that would never be street legal, i cant imagine.

Bildergebnis für corvette c5

Bildergebnis für corvette c5 interiorBildergebnis für mazda mx 5 alcantara interior

PCs and peripherals are never right with default settings even if all the parts are plug and play. Plug and play often defaults to least common denominator settings that run terribly. 

If anything, id want PC hardware to be more like a well made car that needs no modifications or tweaking, and comes perfectly set up from the factory so i dont have to spend hours configuring it like a PC or even a smartphone if youre a power user. Adding user controllable computers to cars has made them require a setup too.

It wasnt too bad on mine. I do like being able to set door auto locking, AC and light sensor sensitivity and all that stuff myself.

Modular engine swapping would require provisions for all different engines in the drivetrain. Cars already come with i4, v6 and v8 in the sme basic car, but it requires a reworking of the drivetrain to do it and retrofitting a huge engine into a car it wasnt designed for is usually more than just buying a more expensive car with a bigger engine for that very reason.

Theres also how much the drivetrain is tailored to the specific vehicle. Dumbing that down to make it modular(manufacturers do it to an extent usually) would mean lower performance, more weight and more money.

If you want a V8 powered GT with everything modern just get this. Its cheap for what it is, great fuel efficiency, one of the nicest interiors of any car, and all the high tech stuff is designed into it and not tacked on afterward.

Get ready for a boatload of issues. If building a computer that only involves a handful of different parts and can already cause a wide assortment of issues, imagine how would that compare with a vehicle composed of hundreds, if not thousands of individual parts. There's probably a reason why it takes practically 5 years to design and validate a car (even then there are issues, early model B8 Audi A4s were known to drink a lot of oil). By the time a new generation of your favourite car comes out, a team is already working on the next generation, not just the face lift. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Eh, in the world of car modification anything is possible. Not so much, hot swap per-se, but I guess a good example of this is West Coast Customs. They have been able to dream up stuff & then find a way to fabricate it, so everything in a vehicle is custom. They might not be the best, but I think they are a good example because they are a brand a lot would know.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I just watched "B is for Build"'s Corvette Buggy Video. Looks hella fun. Wish we could do stuff like this in Germany or even had those racing events like they do in the US. Over here you can't change a fucking thing on your car without having to convince an official about why it is essential to do that mod lol. Seriously I had an old Jeep Cherokee for some time (loved that car) and You can't even change the bumpers without someone bitching about it.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido