Where are the mosfets located on this board?

kdmasmkda
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
4 minutes ago, kdmasmkda said:

Care to ELI5 further than? It supports 8th gen i7 with overclocking.

I would say its primarily aimed at i3 overclocking, and by virtue of having those settings it can "overclock" an i7.  The VRM is much too weak to push an i5/i7 very far without throttling.

Also, if the VRM is throttling, you are at temps that will reduce the lifetime of the board significantly.  If the VRM fails catastrophically at some point it could very well take the CPU with it.

It looks OK.

Count the chokes (black squares next to the fets) to get a ballpark of what the VRM is.  Gigabyte is actually cheating here because they are just adding chokes and calling them phases, so you really dont know what kind of VRM is on the board unless you see it naked.

For reference, if you look at the pic you posted, the larger black square beside each group of two fets is a choke.

25 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It looks OK.

Count the chokes (black squares next to the fets) to get a ballpark of what the VRM is.  Gigabyte is actually cheating here because they are just adding chokes and calling them phases.

For reference, if you look at the pic you posted, the larger black square beside each group of two fets is a choke.

So at the end of the day, which board is the cheapest and best for my setup. I can't possibly think of a way to get airflow on the VRMs so I would basically be relying on how good the stock heatsinks are. I'm not looking to break records here, I'm just looking for a board that will allow me to have a nice stable 5-5.1ghz overclock with the delidded cpu and liquid metal. Thanks for educating me on all this.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Asus or EVGA.

See edit. :)

Power consumption goes up with clocks, voltage, and number of transistors.

8700k is a whole nother monster compared to the 7700k in power consumption because it has ~50% more transistors.  Because of this, it uses ~50% more power.  As a result, your motherboard needs to have a 50% larger VRM compared to what was "acceptable" in the past.

Ryzen has this same problem.  Low end boards are only truly capable of overclocking the 4 or 6 core chips because the VRMs suck.  This is new to intel setups in many ways because the old overclockable mainstream chips all had the same number of cores while the new ones have 4c and 6c variants.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Power consumption goes up with clocks, voltage, and number of transistors.

8700k is a whole nother monster compared to the 7700k in power consumption because its 50% more transistors.  Because of this, it uses ~50% more power.  As a result, your motherboard needs to have a 50% larger VRM compared to what was "acceptable" in the past.

Ryzen has this same problem.  Low end boards are only truly capable of overclocking the 4 or 6 core chips because the VRMs suck.  This is now to intel setups in many ways because the old overclockable mainstream chips all had the same number of cores while the new ones have 4c and 6c variants.

Thank you again, somehow I'm going to end up spending 90 dollars more than I wanted on a motherboard lol.

Anyways, was it the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I or the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G you recommend. Would the extra chokes on the micro itx one help in any way considering I won't have a fan blowing on it?

Steer clear of ITX boards unless you absolutely need the formfactor.  As form factor gets smaller VRM area becomes smaller.  Smaller VRM = less power handling capability.

Less chokes also means less fets.  Less fets means that it will usually run hotter because it has less surface area and each fet handles more power.