why do people think 10:01 youtube video's are so bad?

Ashleyyyy

title says it all. I don't mind it. youtubers have to earn money too.

I have more of a problem with extreme clickbait. length of video's doesn't bother me at all. I don't care if the video is 10 minutes or an hour long, if it's quality content that I enjoy watching. 

She/Her

Its more that studies have found that the average person can hold there attention on it for 10 minutes, after that, the user attention drastically shifts.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I don't mind 10+ minute videos in general, but only if it's a couple at a time.

Say for example I watch two 10+ minute videos in a row, my attention and interest would really decline if the third were to be a 10+ minute one.

As for clickbait titles, I don't care because it's not what I came to YouTube for and I can't do anything about it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Its more that studies have found that the average person can hold there attention on it for 10 minutes, after that, the user attention drastically shifts.

sure, but I still don't understand why people hate so much when a video is 10.01... or just over 10 minutes.. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

sure, but I still don't understand why people hate so much when a video is 10.01... or just over 10 minutes.. 

People dont really hate them, but the content creators have to do what they do and keep the audiences attention. If the attention severely shifts after the 10 minute mark, then that is what dictates there content. its all about marketing, and maintaining that viewership.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

i watch a lot of random youtubeness, i hardly ever go for something longer than 10 minutes, only if i really really like the subject. And if it doesn't catch my attention in the beginning i'm gone.

Just depends, sometimes YouTubers just drag stuff out and it gets so repetitive what they're saying. People just want everything without wasting so much time.

AFAIK in order to have mid-video ads the video has to be at least 10 minutes long. This means a lot of crap youtubers will pad out their videos way longer than they need to be in order to hit 10:01. That's why there's a lot of hate for youtubers who make 10:01 videos because it's obvious they're only doing it so they can put in the (very annoying) ads.

Mid video ads are annoying as shit. You're watching the youtube video then out of no where it just stops, loads an ad, and bends you over and inserts that product right on up in there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

AFAIK in order to have mid-video ads the video has to be at least 10 minutes long. This means a lot of crap youtubers will pad out their videos way longer than they need to be in order to hit 10:01. That's why there's a lot of hate for youtubers who make 10:01 videos because it's obvious they're only doing it so they can put in the (very annoying) ads.

yeah maybe. I watch a lot of gaming content and it's pretty easy to extend that to 10 minutes because it's mostly just commentating. and if I like what the person has to say I don't really mind. 

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Mid video ads are annoying as shit. You're watching the youtube video then out of no where it just stops, loads an ad, and bends you over and inserts that product right on up in there.

I don't mind those in the lower middle of the screen. the one's that play a video and you have to wait 5 seconds in the middle are annoying. 

She/Her

21 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah maybe. I watch a lot of gaming content and it's pretty easy to extend that to 10 minutes because it's mostly just commentating. and if I like what the person has to say I don't really mind. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, not all 10:01 videos are bad. There's lots of quality youtube videos out there that run for longer than 10min, some that have mid roll ads, some that don't.

The problem is with trashy "Top 10 most unbelievable clickbait titles ever seen... You won't believe number 7!!!! OMG WOW!" videos that drag it out to 10min for the sole purpose of getting those profitable mid roll ads.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450