kingston ssd reliability?

Go to solution Solved by Tz000,
20 hours ago, DigitalFlower said:

hi! so, i was looking for an ssd for my pc as my hard drive is dying, and i found this one "Kingston Digital SA1000M8" on amazon for about 122 us dollars. at first i was considering getting the samsung 970 evo, but seeing how this one offers pretty much twice the capacity for about the same price and isn't terribly slower than the 970 evo, i'm thinking about this one instead. the thing is, i'm not sure how reliable kingston ssd are, all i've found are forum posts in other sites from about 3 years ago saying they did something with the controller and made them slow? anyways, i was wondering if anyone has experience with kingston nvme ssds and how reliable they are. 

thank you!

Iv had a Kingston 128GB SSD in one of my computers for 6+ years no issues, multiple windows installs / wipes etc I wouldn't worry to much about it.

hi! so, i was looking for an ssd for my pc as my hard drive is dying, and i found this one "Kingston Digital SA1000M8" on amazon for about 122 us dollars. at first i was considering getting the samsung 970 evo, but seeing how this one offers pretty much twice the capacity for about the same price and isn't terribly slower than the 970 evo, i'm thinking about this one instead. the thing is, i'm not sure how reliable kingston ssd are, all i've found are forum posts in other sites from about 3 years ago saying they did something with the controller and made them slow? anyways, i was wondering if anyone has experience with kingston nvme ssds and how reliable they are. 

thank you!

Its fine for reliability. All drives will die, so keep backups if you care about the data at all.

Its not the fastest ssd, but the difference between a fast ssd and a midrange one isn't that big for most uses.

The Kingston complaints are about a controller change in a older model ssd. The review samples were faster than the actual products on the shelves. The rest of their drives are fine, but they got a lot of bad press from that.

Hello DigitalFlower,

Looking at their website they still sale it, so the drive was not discontinued, if it suits you better than other drives go for it you are still covered and even if the drive was discontinued you own the same warranty rights/period if anything happens, so they can replace it if applicable or give you the upgrade that follows the model:

https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/consumer/SA1000M8

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its fine for reliability. All drives will die, so keep backups if you care about the data at all.

Its not the fastest ssd, but the difference between a fast ssd and a midrange one isn't that big for most uses.

The Kingston complaints are about a controller change in a older model ssd. The review samples were faster than the actual products on the shelves. The rest of their drives are fine, but they got a lot of bad press from that.

i see, if you were looking for a somewhat fast ssd for about 100 ish dollars, would you consider this one over a samsung sata one? of the 480-512 capacity, of course.

thank you!

5 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello DigitalFlower,

Looking at their website they still sale it, so the drive was not discontinued, if it suits you better than other drives go for it you are still covered and even if the drive was discontinued you own the same warranty rights/period if anything happens, so they can replace it if applicable or give you the upgrade that follows the model:

https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/consumer/SA1000M8

hi, yes, i think this disk was released this year, why would it be discontinued? o.O 

thank you!

20 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

i see, if you were looking for a somewhat fast ssd for about 100 ish dollars, would you consider this one over a samsung sata one? of the 480-512 capacity, of course.

thank you!

for 100 dollars this will be about the same speed or faster in most uses compared to a samsung 860 evo. Id go for it for that price.

20 hours ago, DigitalFlower said:

thank you!

Iv had a Kingston 128GB SSD in one of my computers for 6+ years no issues, multiple windows installs / wipes etc I wouldn't worry to much about it.