Asrock M8 - where to buy

LinusTech

A few comments, been doing a bit of research as i am looking to build a pc like this

first its 70mm not 60 mm fans (Linus seems to have got that one wrong in the video)  (at least according to the manual) i was trying to see if a Cooler Master Glacer 240L would fit, sadly it wont.

Secondly that psu, does it even have enough 6/4 pins to run a titan?  i not looking to put a titian in on but probably a 770 or similar.  yes it will fit but can it power it?

from the video it looks like one 6 pin connector split as a 4 and a 2, most titans and high end gpu's need a 6 and a 4.  is the extra 4 there?

The price.. I know the design is great and all, but they're somewhat ignore some function which make all of my interest gone.

Yes would like to see a system installed in the case to get some feed back on temps under load and acustics.

I really love this case design and everything about it, I just wish it was able to accomodate bigger fans somehow, I know that's impossible but the tiny fans make a horrible high pitch buzzing at high rpm (and they're always going to have to be at a high RPM anyway)

If only noctua made 90x90 fans!

A few comments, been doing a bit of research as i am looking to build a pc like this

first its 70mm not 60 mm fans (Linus seems to have got that one wrong in the video)  (at least according to the manual) i was trying to see if a Cooler Master Glacer 240L would fit, sadly it wont.

Secondly that psu, does it even have enough 6/4 pins to run a titan?  i not looking to put a titian in on but probably a 770 or similar.  yes it will fit but can it power it?

from the video it looks like one 6 pin connector split as a 4 and a 2, most titans and high end gpu's need a 6 and a 4.  is the extra 4 there?

The PSU has 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors on it. AsRock says in the manual that you can use a max of a 200w TPD video card. For reference, the 770 has a 250w TDP so that is above what they recommend. Now being that the PSU is a standard SFX size you can replace it, but I don't know if there are any options beyond 450w. Silverstone's Gold rated 450w SFX PSU supports up to a 770 or 270x according to their documentation.

Edit: I found the exact PSU AsRock is using in their case- http://www.fspgroupusa.com/fsp45060ghs85r/p/858.html

The PSU has 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors on it. AsRock says in the manual that you can use a max of a 200w TPD video card. For reference, the 770 has a 250w TDP so that is above what they recommend. Now being that the PSU is a standard SFX size you can replace it, but I don't know if there are any options beyond 450w. Silverstone's Gold rated 450w SFX PSU supports up to a 770 or 270x according to their documentation but I can not find any information on what PSU AsRock is using in the M8.

I can see power being an issue then in general.  i not planning to oc the cpu but still that 450w psu would be problematic.

That info would also make the above website is crazy.  they have them oc cpus with oc gpu's the psu must be dieing

I can see power being an issue then in general.  i not planning to oc the cpu but still that 450w psu would be problematic.

That info would also make the above website is crazy.  they have them oc cpus with oc gpu's the psu must be dieing

It looks like they changed the PSU out. Strangly they go from one 450w Brozne rated PSU to another 450w Bronze rated PSU. You would think they would at least use the Silverstones Gold rated one.

Holy shit. They allow you to put an overclocked 690 in there! Talk about frying the power supply.

I've been eyeballing this case since linus covered it in whatever tech expo it was, and I did some research tonight. Looks like you can fit an MSI 780OC (w/ TF cooling), but I'm just worried about .
It says its around 400W for SYSTEM DRAW (running i7-2600K) in anandtech's review of the stock and overclockersclub's review of the MSI 780OC.

Assuming that the PSU runs at 85% efficiency at 450W = 382.5W, you'd be able to run a 760 comfortably and if you're pushing it, a 770

if we get a 'gold rated' 450W, i.e. silverstone, it should be able to run at 90% efficiency = 410W. Which sounds about just right for a 780.

Got the numbers from here, assuming that CPU is 84W TDP, and rest of system (mobo, hdd/ssd, odd, etc) is around 100W.

What I'm really wondering is if the PSU can deliver enough amperes to the card and system.
What do y'all think?

The Amperes output of the PSU is this (got this from the PSU manufacturer website).

Output Current: 20.0A @ +3.3V DC   22.0A @ +5V DC   16.0A @ +12V1 DC   16.0A @ +12V2 DC   0.5A @ -12V DC   2.5A @ +5Vsb DC Standby

And i'm struggling to find a chart that describes the requirements of graphics card. All I can find is this , not sure what this means. 
Some explanation would be grand :)

And also, does anyone know if it is possible to get the case only? I'm thinking of switching the mobo and/or PSU :P

I've been eyeballing this case since linus covered it in whatever tech expo it was, and I did some research tonight. Looks like you can fit an MSI 780OC (w/ TF cooling), but I'm just worried about .

It says its around 400W for SYSTEM DRAW (running i7-2600K) in anandtech's review of the stock and overclockersclub's review of the MSI 780OC.

Assuming that the PSU runs at 85% efficiency at 450W = 382.5W, you'd be able to run a 760 comfortably and if you're pushing it, a 770

if we get a 'gold rated' 450W, i.e. silverstone, it should be able to run at 90% efficiency = 410W. Which sounds about just right for a 780.

Got the numbers from here, assuming that CPU is 84W TDP, and rest of system (mobo, hdd/ssd, odd, etc) is around 100W.

What I'm really wondering is if the PSU can deliver enough amperes to the card and system.

What do y'all think?

The Amperes output of the PSU is this (got this from the PSU manufacturer website).

Output Current: 20.0A @ +3.3V DC   22.0A @ +5V DC   16.0A @ +12V1 DC   16.0A @ +12V2 DC   0.5A @ -12V DC   2.5A @ +5Vsb DC Standby

And i'm struggling to find a chart that describes the requirements of graphics card. All I can find is this , not sure what this means. 

Some explanation would be grand :)

And also, does anyone know if it is possible to get the case only? I'm thinking of switching the mobo and/or PSU :P

I don't think you are doing the math correctly I'm pretty sure the 450 watt rating refers to delivered and not input power. Some people are saying at $500 this is over priced but i'm not sure there right stand alone i think the case would sell for 200+ easy due to things like the thick aluminum and the oled display. Similar PSU's sell for 70 to 100 bucks and its another 150 to 200 dollars for the motherboard and what maybe another 40 dollars or so for the dvd drive. That puts you right around 450 to 500 dollars.

Toms hardware did a system build in the M8 in october and they found that the default set up for the fans works fairly poorly and they ended up changing the bottom ones to intake and the top to exhaust and got a 20c improvement in cpu temps. Anyone else notice that M8 = mate?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-m8-mini-itx-gaming-pc,3627.html

Edit: i wouldn't want to run a 780 with that psu a 770 is pushing it but safe provided you aren't doing compute on it in my opinion

Real world power draw numbers GPU only http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-25.html you would be pushing it with any thing that draws much more power then a 680 you would need somthing with a single 12 volt rail like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256084 to run a 780

Is it possible to shoot the glamour shots against a white background, say by hanging a sheet behind it, rather  a view of your kitchen?.

Very tempted by this case, I'll be building a LAN PC come summertime and this looks like a very interesting option. Costs £465 here and I'd need a processor, heatsink, memory, a graphics card and storage. I'd also probably replace the 60mm fans with Noctua NF-A6x25s, 4 of which would cost £45.

Asrock M8: £465

4670 (non-k): £165

Noctua NH-L9i: £35

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM: £70

250GB Samsung 840 EVO: £150

EVGA GTX760 SC (Blower style): £200

Total: £1130

Expensive for a 4670+gtx760 system with only 250GB of storage (I spent the same on my 3570k cooled by h100i + 7970 system) but for something that will only be used at LANs, for the show-off factor I think it's quite reasonable and I won't exactly be stretched for cash. Very tempting indeed.

Very tempted by this case, I'll be building a LAN PC come summertime and this looks like a very interesting option. Costs £465 here and I'd need a processor, heatsink, memory, a graphics card and storage. I'd also probably replace the 60mm fans with Noctua NF-A6x25s, 4 of which would cost £45.

Asrock M8: £465

4670 (non-k): £165

Noctua NH-L9i: £35

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM: £70

250GB Samsung 840 EVO: £150

EVGA GTX760 SC (Blower style): £200

Total: £1130

Expensive for a 4670+gtx760 system with only 250GB of storage (I spent the same on my 3570k cooled by h100i + 7970 system) but for something that will only be used at LANs, for the show-off factor I think it's quite reasonable and I won't exactly be stretched for cash. Very tempting indeed.

Linus got it wrong, the fans at 70mm. You can only replace them with other 70mm fans that are 10mm (I believe) in width. Not much by way of good options there.

I want the case too. Ended up spending an hour or so drawing this because I got frustrated in trying to source the 'case only'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZeNhd-USnFVVJkR1FnX18tUlU0UVJ2cjN2NXJxcGl3V2pn/edit?usp=sharing

awesome thing is that I can have a 650W PSU and a full length GPU.
Time to get building with cardboard B)

what do you guys think what about my 'drawing'? :) I do realise that i have far too many fans for what a normal m-itx board can support, need to take out around 2-3 fans, probably the 2x92mm fans.

I would like to see a slightly larger version with 120mm fans and a full sized ATX power supply. I do appreciate ASrock's effort here, even though this isn't for me. When you factor in the form factor and designer case, this package is actually quite reasonably priced. Imagine how much it would cost if it were a Mac!

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Very nice pc barebones outfit but out of my price range for sure.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I am just wondering but could you run a 770 and an i5 4670k with that 450w psu ?