[Ubuntu] Game can't be launched due to OpenGL4 missing, but system supports it

Greetings,
A friend of mine would like to play the game Divinity on Ubuntu. Unfortunately I'm not familiar at all with that OS.
The min. requirements according to the game is OpenGL4. When she looks at her system it says "OpenGL version 3.0 Mesa 18.0.0-rc4". She checked and believes 18.0.0 to be the lastest version (well this was 1,5 months ago). She doesn't have a dedicated GPU but has en Intel Haswell CPU. I checked and in theory the CPU supports OpenGL4.3. Sure the gaming performance might be bad, but it should at least launch, right? So it should be a driver/software issue, maybe despite her efforts, something is not up to date?

We would be grateful for any tips.

my guess is its just disappointing drivers, but past that.. have you snooped around the ubuntu forms yet?

The drivers used by Ubuntu to push OpenGL are called Mesa. Make sure these are installed and up to date. I've never used them personally as I use the closed source Nvidia ones :(

Mesa 17 already should have OpenGL 4.5 for Haswell. What may happening is some VESA driver or fallback in use instead of the intel driver - but that would be quite odd.

Divinity orginal sin? Well, I will try on my Ubuntu machine and see what happens.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 17/07/2018 at 7:04 AM, wasab said:

Divinity orginal sin? Well, I will try on my Ubuntu machine and see what happens.

Yes, it's Original Sin. Thank you :)

We are tying to upgrade the OS to 18.04 but are having some difficulties. Will keep you posted.