Went to turn my PC on this morning and it just power cycles

oktorok

I have had this computer for a few years and never had this issue before, I powered it down last night just like I always do and when I went to turn it on this morning the case light comes on fans spin up for 1 to 2 seconds then it shuts off and goes through the process again endlessly. I have tried a different power supply but the problem persists, nothing comes up on the display while it is going through this process. I am running a 4790k gtx 970 on an Asus sabertooth mark 2.

Pro Tip: Shutting down your computer every night will start causing issues at least from my experience. Put it in sleep mode and basically only shutdown when you need to do maintenance or when you are on prolonged leave. Does it beep if so how many any codes?

1 hour ago, TheWiseGuy said:

Try taking a stick of ram out and powering on. Swapping each stick.

I tried this with no luck. Does it make a difference whether the power is left plugged in while performing these swaps?

19 minutes ago, oktorok said:

I tried this with no luck. Does it make a difference whether the power is left plugged in while performing these swaps?

When you're removing a component always unplug the power and hold down the power button to drain anything left over. 

As an update to this- This motherboard has a jumper for Clear RTC. I attempted to do this but I'm not sure if I did it properly. Am I alright in leaving this jumper out of the computer during normal operation? Does it NEED to be in place on the "normal" labelled pins or is that just a placeholder?

I've had this issue and tried a bunch of things, but the thing that worked for me was removing the motherboard battery. So locate the motherboard battery power down your computer and unplug the power cord, and remove the battery for 30 seconds. Then put it back in and power it up.

3 hours ago, oktorok said:

As an update to this- This motherboard has a jumper for Clear RTC. I attempted to do this but I'm not sure if I did it properly. Am I alright in leaving this jumper out of the computer during normal operation? Does it NEED to be in place on the "normal" labelled pins or is that just a placeholder?

It is a jumper, it is not supposed to be used during normal operation, its ment to shorten something when the PC is powered off, after doing so you should put it back to its original place where it belongs. (thats why its called "jumper", you only need to place it for a short amount of time to different pins and put it back)

Leaving the jumper on its configuration to clear RTC and using it during normal operation can damage your Board.

To your problem, you could have a corrupted bios or defective RAM. Since its power cycling it could mean that its either getting stuck on RAM training or cant detect other necessary hardware. (RAM/GPU). Also check for shorts. Have you used the standoffs in your PC-case?(they are necessary), are there any cables or metal touching the board?

- clean up all the dust, dust gets conductive

- try different GPU slot (PCI-E)

- use a different monitor cable (if you use displayport)

- try unplugging GPU and put your monitor cable into your board using the IGPU.

- try unplugging all USB devices

- try building it up outside of your case.

- try clear cmos

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |