Best first lens for a new Nikon D5200?

DyGr00339
Go to solution Solved by Tomislav Matic,

So basically it's either 50mm or 35mm-as the best starting option.

Title says all, I got the kit lens, but any suggestion on a first lens for a semi noob? Preferably a prime lens, must be auto focus and manual focus

I'm on the canon myself, but the nifty 50 mm is a great choice (f1.8 if you are on a budget or a 1.4 if you can spend a bit more)  But- depends on what you want to do. If you are more into portraits go for a telephoto lens (like 85mm, 100mm, 135mm) if you are more into landscape wide angle glass will do (18-50 zoom at f2.8 would be a steal -I believe that sigma makes those for Nikon as well ). Also don't forget about the crop factor of your sensor ( I'm guessing it's 1.5 or 1.6 on D5200- so a decent 35mm would equal to a normal lens for your camera (normal on full frame = 50mm). 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I'm on the canon myself, but the nifty 50 mm is a great choice (f1.8 if you are on a budget or a 1.4 if you can spend a bit more)  But- depends on what you want to do. If you are more into portraits go for a telephoto lens (like 85mm, 100mm, 135mm) if you are more into landscape wide angle glass will do (18-50 zoom at f2.8 would be a steal -I believe that sigma makes those for Nikon as well ). Also don't forget about the crop factor of your sensor ( I'm guessing it's 1.5 or 1.6 on D5200- so a decent 35mm would equal to a normal lens for your camera (normal on full frame = 50mm). 

The F1.8 looks decent as I do landscape and macro shots, with almost zero portraits,the kit lens is a 18-55MM with f3.5-5.6 

Watching reviews online, people say a prime lens is usually better, is this true? And I can get the 50mm F1.8 for $60 as well used

Have a look at a super takumar 50/1.8. Its a M42 lens but you can get adapters for it. I have a lot of M42 lenses for my A65 they are great and extremely sharp. These lenses are also manual so you will have to learn to use you camera which is good.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

well, prime lenses are usually better in terms of sharpness (to simplify this- less glass parts more sharpness) 50 mm isn't optimal for landscapes because (especially on a crop sensor camera like yours) won't give you a lot of "space" but it will perform great in low light(eve the cheap 1.8 ) For macro shots you have to check the focusing distance, and you can get some extension tubes for macros (you will lose sharpness and light but it can give you more magnification)

PS- these are all budget advices- I'm also aware that there are super expensive, high quality lenses.  

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Have a look at a super takumar 50/1.8. Its a M42 lens but you can get adapters for it. I have a lot of M42 lenses for my A65 they are great and extremely sharp. These lenses are also manual so you will have to learn to use you camera which is good.

isn't super takumar 1,4? old slr lenses can be good and can be found really cheap, but be careful about their condition, and also they are all manual, and you will need an adapter. also the crop factor will be almost 2.0 (so a 50mm would be an 100mm lens ) and you will probably lose up to 1 stop of light ( so 1.4 will be 2.8 ). This can be a great budget option, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginer, there is a lot of reading to do about this- problems with focusing to infinity. Though these lenses are very good for video...

well, prime lenses are usually better in terms of sharpness (to simplify this- less glass parts more sharpness) 50 mm isn't optimal for landscapes because (especially on a crop sensor camera like yours) won't give you a lot of "space" but it will perform great in low light(eve the cheap 1.8 ) For macro shots you have to check the focusing distance, and you can get some extension tubes for macros (you will lose sharpness and light but it can give you more magnification)

PS- these are all budget advices- I'm also aware that there are super expensive, high quality lenses.  

Yeah, im in the under $300 range, and for landscape the kit lens may do, i need the low light for city streets, stuff like that

isn't super takumar 1,4? old slr lenses can be good and can be found really cheap, but be careful about their condition, and also they are all manual, and you will need an adapter. also the crop factor will be almost 2.0 (so a 50mm would be an 100mm lens ) and you will probably lose up to 1 stop of light ( so 1.4 will be 2.8 ). This can be a great budget option, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginer, there is a lot of reading to do about this- problems with focusing to infinity. Though these lenses are very good for video...

Mine is a 1.8 50mm i also have a multi coated pentacon 50/1.8. Both extremely sharp at about F5.6-F8.

I have no problem focusing being as im on a Sony and i use focus peaking. Also i would argue that going for a manual only lens as a beginner is better forces your camera settings ect.

A great portrait lens would be the pentacon 2.8/135 this lens is also known as the bokeh monster.

If you want a great landscape lens have a look the SMC takumar 3.5/28 great little lens and not that expensive.

I would also like to ad that if you are using an adapter without the element the crop factor will remain the same. How ever if you have to use a adapter with a element it will indeed change and im not sure if it does for Nikon i know it doesnt need one for Sony nor Cannon.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

actually you are right about the crop factor- this increase only applies fro canon fd lenses, my bad. M42 crop factor remains the same... going for the old lens isn't a bad choice as I said, if you can find them really cheap, you can get one of those adapters that have confirmation when you are in focus. Mind that you will shoot slower (due to manual focus) also there is no spot metering. 

The D5200 is a crop sensor camera so you'll want the 35mm f1.8. 50 can be a bit tight at times, remember that you can use your 24.1MP and your lower ISO to crop photos, but you can't fit more in after.

Mine is a 1.8 50mm i also have a multi coated pentacon 50/1.8. Both extremely sharp at about F5.6-F8.

I have no problem focusing being as im on a Sony and i use focus peaking. Also i would argue that going for a manual only lens as a beginner is better forces your camera settings ect.

A great portrait lens would be the pentacon 2.8/135 this lens is also known as the bokeh monster.

If you want a great landscape lens have a look the SMC takumar 3.5/28 great little lens and not that expensive.

I would also like to ad that if you are using an adapter without the element the crop factor will remain the same. How ever if you have to use a adapter with a element it will indeed change and im not sure if it does for Nikon i know it doesnt need one for Sony nor Cannon.

There really isn't any reasons IMHO to go with a manual lens. You won't learn anything different. Seeing as most cameras can still do TTL metering with non-CPU lenses, you just put yourself a disadvantage when it comes to focusing (have fun tracking moving objects, unless you bring a follow focus around with you).

OP: I would suggest going with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G or Nikon 35mm 1.8G. See if you can use the lens first before you buy and then decide which you'd prefer. I usually walk around with my Nikon 50mm 1.8G on my D7100, but I do sometimes find that it's too close. Then again, sometimes it's just the perfect FoV ;)

Shot with my old Nikone D80 and 50mm 1.8G

My first DSLR and lens, this was one of the first photos I took with it 2 years ago :)

-snip-

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

So basically it's either 50mm or 35mm-as the best starting option.