PSU causing lag?

Go to solution Solved by AlTech,
3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Even though , 450W is plenty for that rig .

Not officially.

AMD recommends a minimum of a 500w PSU for RX 480 and RX 580 rigs

It's on the box.

21 minutes ago, tiopaco said:

So I have been experiencing lag in games after a few minutes of playing, even playing non demanding games like Skyrim and Borderlands. I tried everything, reseating CPU, swapping GPU, swapping ram, fresh install etc, it is also not a throttling problem because my temps all seem stable. But, a friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that it could be my power supply not outputting enough for my system. I currently have a 450W EVGA PSU powering a Ryzen 5 1400 on a ASUS Prime A320M-A, and a MSI Armor RX580 OC edition. Could it be my power supply? Would a 500W PSU possibly fix my issue? If so, what PSU would you recommend? 

Thank you in advance

I would recommend replacing the PSU with a 600w Unit just to be safe.

So I have been experiencing lag in games after a few minutes of playing, even playing non demanding games like Skyrim and Borderlands. I tried everything, reseating CPU, swapping GPU, swapping ram, fresh install etc, it is also not a throttling problem because my temps all seem stable. But, a friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that it could be my power supply not outputting enough for my system. I currently have a 450W EVGA PSU powering a Ryzen 5 1400 on a ASUS Prime A320M-A, and a MSI Armor RX580 OC edition. Could it be my power supply? Would a 500W PSU possibly fix my issue? If so, what PSU would you recommend? 

Thank you in advance

It may very well be your PSU but more info is needed. Are you overclocking your CPU/GPU at all? In addition, are you gaming in an environment  that is around 20-30 Degrees Celsius?

It can happen . But it's such an edge case that i wouldn't even consider it.  Even though , 450W is plenty for that rig .

Although , to note is that when this happens , it's not because  of the power supply capacity .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Even though , 450W is plenty for that rig .

Not officially.

It's on the box.

21 minutes ago, tiopaco said:

Thank you in advance

I would recommend replacing the PSU with a 600w Unit just to be safe.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not officially.

It's on the box.

We both now that the 500w figure is to prevent people from using POS units with barely enough capacity.

He's using an r5 1400 , that going to use 50-70 W max . I know the 580 is power hungry , but it's NOT going to use 350W+ .

Despite that though , it would just hit the OCP if capacity wasn't good enough

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Its not the PSU, 90% sure of that.

R5  1400 at stock only uses ~50w and RX 580 uses ~200w max.  Even a relatively cheap 400w PSU should be able to handle that.  If you were maxing your PSU out, the system would shut off.

What are your full system specs?

29 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That figure is so inflated that is almost meaningless. I have been running a more power hungry righ (R5 1600 + RX 580) on a 450W PSU without issues for over a year. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Thank you to all, I'm gonna buy a new psu just in case and for the sake of future upgradability. Is the EVGA Supernova G3 650W any good? 

2 minutes ago, tiopaco said:

Thank you to all, I'm gonna buy a new psu just in case and for the sake of future upgradability. Is the EVGA Supernova G3 650W any good? 

I would get a better motherboard with that money honestly, that will give you better future upgrade potential than a larger PSU.

A320 boards cant really run Ryzen 7 cpus very well because of the bad power delivery design.