Ancient GPU vs integrated graphics

This is such an odd and specific question that I was sure google had nothing for me.

My friend overheated his i7 8700k because he had no idea that the stock cooler was woefully for it (and yes, he had a Z370 board, spare the thread from your cringes. I can hear them from here.) His computer now no longer turns on whatsoever, so I'm going to walk him through the RMA process to repair his stuff, but when that's all said and done, he actually doesn't have a graphics card. He was gaming on the iGPU. Rest assured I've convinced him of the necessity of literally any CPU cooler but stock.

My question is: would a really old graphics card be a suitable replacement until he gets an actual graphics card? I'm not talking 650 or something, here's the card I have on hand:

An 8400 GS.

Really really old, I know. But the benefit of taking some thermal load off the CPU is one thing, the only question is, will it be better than iGPU performance? It actually overclocks as far as the software pushes it without complaining, so in my opinion, there is potential.

Thoughts? And also, troubleshooting tips?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

integrated graphics > 7+ year old gpu

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

integrated graphics > 7+ year old gpu

Yeah I thought that may be the case. Any idea what a super cheap GPU that's better than integrated graphics might be?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah I thought that may be the case. Any idea what a super cheap GPU that's better than integrated graphics might be?

The GDDR5-version of GT1030. Just make sure not to touch that hot garbage of the DDR4-version even with a barge-pole.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

The GDDR5-version of GT1030. Just make sure not to touch that hot garbage of the DDR4-version even with a barge-pole.

Believe me, that abomination would never enter my home unless the MSRP plummeted to match the actual value.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How does something super cheap like the 750 or even the 730 compare to the iGPU? these are not good gaming cards by today's standards but I basically want him to have a multimedia PC that can do really light gaming in the meantime.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

How does something super cheap like the 750 or even the 730 compare to the iGPU? these are not good gaming cards by today's standards but I basically want him to have a multimedia PC that can do really light gaming in the meantime.

I don't know. Apparently 750Ti (not the non-Ti) is still a pretty valid budget-card and still better than the iGPU in Intel-processors, though the iGPU in Ryzen 2200g and 2400g wins over both.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Though a second hand 2GB GTX 650ti or GTX 750ti would be better as a second hand option.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If you are looking for best bang for the buck go with a 970 or a 680 tbh. If you are not set on buying new then I wouldn't.

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

If you are looking for best bang for the buck go with a 970 or a 680 tbh. If you are not set on buying new then I wouldn't.

he's gonna get a 1060 6GB when he's got the money, but right now he just needs better than prepackeged intel graphics.

Primary PC:

His computer now no longer turns on whatsoever

I'm guessing he did cleared the CMOS right?

tell him to get a decent cooler, keep playing with the igpu until he can buy a decent card, spending money on an old card and spending it on a cooler is the same, unless you can find let's saya 750ti for less than $50 it isn't worth imo

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

tell him to get a decent cooler, keep playing with the igpu until he can buy a decent card, spending money on an old card and spending it on a cooler is the same, unless you can find let's saya 750ti for less than $50 it isn't worth imo

There actually is a 750 ti i can pick up locally super cheap, that's why i thought of it.

Also, his power button literally does nothing. No fan spin, no lights, etc. That's why I thought he fried something. I'm going to try my own PSU, a separate stick of ram, and other components just in case, but I'm pretty sure his stuff is flat out busted.

Edit: I'm also gonna convince him to both buy a better cooler and a GPU, because he really needs both.

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC:

21 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

agreed, unless the 750ti is really really cheap, the integrated graphics is probably good enough until he can get a 1060.If he wants a cheaper option that will still game really well I'd try to pick up a used 970.

Also bears repeating, did you try a CMOS reset?  The quick and dirty way to do it is to pop out the calculator battery on the mobo then put it back in after a few seconds. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

agreed, unless the 750ti is really really cheap, the integrated graphics is probably good enough until he can get a 1060.If he wants a cheaper option that will still game really well I'd try to pick up a used 970.

Also bears repeating, did you try a CMOS reset?  The quick and dirty way to do it is to pop out the calculator battery on the mobo then put it back in after a few seconds. 

I believe he used the reset CMOS button built into his motherboard. At least, I told him to and he was desperate to get it working again, so I described it in detail and hoped he would try it. Suppose I should double check though.

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

My question is: would a really old graphics card be a suitable replacement until he gets an actual graphics card? I'm not talking 650 or something, here's the card I have on hand:

An 8400 GS.

No, look at benchmarks. Those modern IGP Things aren't as bad as that old thing is, at least in Games.

For "Office Applications" like Surfing the Internets it might be different...

But still we are talking about a 10 Year old graphics card that was shit even when it was new...

So no, with that card, you won't gain anything and even loose performance.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

There actually is a 750 ti i can pick up locally super cheap, that's why i thought of it.

Also, his power button literally does nothing. No fan spin, no lights, etc. That's why I thought he fried something. I'm going to try my own PSU, a separate stick of ram, and other components just in case, but I'm pretty sure his stuff is flat out busted.

Edit: I'm also gonna convince him to both buy a better cooler and a GPU, because he really needs both.

it'd need to be super cheap, it's a good card and if it already has a 6-pin connector soldered to the board is even better because of the extra overclocking potential

he would still need to underclock/volt his CPU in order to keep it at acceptable temps (under 80C) with the tall cooler

c63b2c60-5a42-4bf3-bec6-bff5cdc0a8ad.jpg

if he has the small one there's no way he could game with it without running the CPU at like 800mhz

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

it'd need to be super cheap, it's a good card and if it already has a 6-pin connector soldered to the board is even better because of the extra overclocking potential

he would still need to underclock/volt his CPU in order to keep it at acceptable temps (under 80C) with the tall cooler

if he has the small one there's no way he could game with it without running the CPU at like 800mhz

That cooler (copper core) could barely handle my 4790k at 4GHz. And the 8700K uses even worse application of the TIM if I remember correctly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

yeah he's not getting that weird tall thing for his CPU, im gonna have him get a noctua cooler or something.

Primary PC: