Asus GL502VS choppy framerates & Thermal throttle

barabudy

Hey everyone,

I have purchased an ASUS GL502VS gaming laptop from a gaming retailer called IBuyPower last December.

Ever since getting it I have been noticing an occasional drop in performance while gaming (Happened occasionally on Witcher 3).

The issue since has grown worse in the following months, now I experience a severe drop in fps after less of 1 minute of gaming.

The happens even in older titles (Dragon Age Inquisition).

Being tired of this annoying issue I have tried using a stress tool to try and diagnose the problem - I attached are the results of a 15 minute test in Aida64.

I specifically payed extra for application of IC diamond after watching the review Linus made about the laptop.

I checked and saw the BIOS is updated to the latest version (303).

This laptop has a 7700HQ CPU and a GTX 1070.

I have read online undervolting the CPU and GPU could help but have no idea how to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thermal.png

Wow, you payed extra for thermal paste application and its hitting 94C? I'd take it apart and take a look if it were me, manufacturers are notorious for shoddy thermal paste application on laptops and your laptop model in particular is known to run hot. Its really not all that difficult, just be careful removing the fans and heatsink.

beyond that, use msi afterburner to undervolt GPU and intel xtreme tuning utility for CPU.

AFTERBUNER-Install it, open the program and hit ctrl+f to bring up the voltage and adjust the points on the graph to where you want it.

IXTU- Use the UI, its pretty straightforward. On my laptop I was able to undervolt .185V, start at .05 and go from down (up?) from there.

I have a 502VML. Before I repasted and undervolted I would hit 98C consistently while gaming on the GPU. After, It never goes above 75 under full load. Though your specs are a bit better than mine, it shouldn't be getting that hot.

My MSI GT62Vr had the same problem out of the box, turned out it was caused by all the bloatware installed in it from the factory.

A good bit of CCleaner, a bit of undervolting using Intel's XTU and Afterburner (You can search for tutorials here), and a good laptop cooler and you're good to go.

Hey guys thanks for the feedback,

KarmaFPS - I will try to under volt my laptop using these programs, thank you.

Generallee - do you think it could be a software issue as well?

What is extra weird about this issue is that it is getting worse with time. It wasn't that bad only a week ago.