How to install on Linksys open source router

I have this router: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT3200ACM/ and I would like to control the internet speed per-device and the stock software does not allow me to do that, and I would also like to see how to put Nord VPN as it cheaper than PIA and some reviewers say it offers a more "advance" GUI for how much stress a given server is receiving at the time for example. I read a little about the dd-wrt thing and tomato stuff but I don't know which one would be better for me and how to install them. 

23 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

I have this router: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT3200ACM/ and I would like to control the internet speed per-device and the stock software does not allow me to do that, and I would also like to see how to put Nord VPN as it cheaper than PIA and some reviewers say it offers a more "advance" GUI for how much stress a given server is receiving at the time for example. I read a little about the dd-wrt thing and tomato stuff but I don't know which one would be better for me and how to install them. 

Expect to brick your router. Installation and setup isn't a "one click and done" thing.

First thing you want to do is google DD-WRT and your router name.

Not all routers are compatible with Tomato or DD-WRT.

If it is, you will find a page with exhausting list of instructions.

Good luck, it's involved.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

As far as I know, none of DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT support bandwidth-limiting per IP/MAC-address, unless you're willing to dig in and write all the iptables-rules yourself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, jefire411 said:

DDWRT is not for the faint of heart. I literally read the install direction a half a dozen times. If you fuck it up it will fuck your router. DDWRT forum's has the Peacock thread with install directions, read them, Read them again and apply their teachings. Now I dont remember seeing per port/ device bandwidth control. I know it has some QoS options but I dont think those are any of the options. Im fairly sure than VPN setup should be fine, but the bandwidth controls might not be there. 

I dont have experience with Tomato, but I would suggest you heed my warning about reading instructions multiple times before installing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Really seems to depend on your type of router... Installing DD-WRT or Tomato on a Netgear R7000 only took a few clicks. Switching back to OEM firmware was the difficult part. You have to actually download an older firmware that is compiled as an update Tomato can read.

As for Linksys, I'm not really sure. Just make sure if you're going to commit and install new firmware you are plugged into a UPS (to prevent any chance of power loss during the firmware update) and are using a wired connection to your computer (don't rely on wireless!). Also BE PATIENT! Even if it seems like the router freezes, don't reboot it...just let it do it's thing... unplugging it while it is flashing firmware can brick your router beyond recovery!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler