REALLY HIGH TEMPS ON CPU AND GPU

Go to solution Solved by TekSupport,
20 hours ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

I had the same issue with my system with this crazy hot British summer ?. What I did was dial back my OC on my 1700 and voltage, saved my old config to apply it when it cools down. Then I just made some custom fan curves and turned them up so that my system went from silent but overheating to audible but cool. Or you can just leave your side panel off until it cools down, but you'll have to deal with more dust. Plus ngl, that cooler on the 1080ti is shit tier, but could be helped by replacing the thermal paste on it.

Found that my motherboard had 2 presets saved in the overclocking option, The first was the default settings and the second was the overclocked settings. I loaded the first Preset which removed the overclock and turned the PC on and did some more tests.

The Temps have gone down to a Max of 80c for both CPU and GPU.

Thanks all for the help.

Also thanks AngryBeaver for the detailed help, hadn't got round to trying your solution before resolving the problem.

P.S. My overclock was at 4.8Ghz.

I will try to include all the necessary information. Let me know if i have missed anything out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Specs:

CPU: i7 7700k (Overclocked at 4.5ghz, bought overclocked at SCAN.co.uk,  3XS)

Cooler: BeQuiet BK018 Dark Rock 3

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-P

Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 Veng LPX

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Armor

Power Supply: Corsair 750M

Case: some maplin case, can't find the exact case as it shutdown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had most of this build for about 13 Months, GPU only for 2 month. (previously GTX 760)

Around 3 days ago, I Realised my FPS was lower than it usually was, at first I passed it off as being a Game issue.

A few hours later, I checked MSI Afterburner to check some of my temps. I found that my GPU was reaching temps of 84°C ingame and my CPU averaging 85°C+.

The max temp my cpu was getting to was 99°C .

I then opened up the side panel and checked the temps cpu, gpu. After a day of testing, it had showed it decreased to 75-83°C on the GPU and 79-86°C and maxing out at 99°C (according to MSI Afterburner.)

I live in the UK, and so this wasn't a problem up until this summer. (previously my temps never got above 70°C ) Temps outside reach up to 30°C . Not a lot of wind so its hotter in my room.

I currently have 3 fans not including the cpu fan.(2 intakes in the front, 1 out in the back) What is the ideal solution to keeping my temps low?

1. Would it be to Replace my current fans and add 2 more new ones? if so what are the best fans to use?

2. Would it be to get an AIO cooler for my CPU? if so what would you recommend?

3. Another alternative!

When replying to this Post make sure to consider the following:

No Custom Cooling.

No Overkill solutions.

Won't Undo the Overlocking. (Don't have the time, look into the process/ testing the voltages to overlock it again after summer)

I want to be able to max performance with temps of up to 75-80°C max for my CPU/GPU.
I want to survive the Summer without killing my PC.

Many Thanks in Advance.

I would say undervolt it until the end of summer. Dont need to run out and spend money on new fans. I would tell you lover your voltage though then again you said you bought the overclock so I assume you dont know much in that area

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

25 minutes ago, TekSupport said:

I found that my GPU was reaching temps of 84°C ingame and my CPU averaging 85°C+.

The max temp it was getting to was 99°C .

Those are fine. What is the "it" that reached 99°C? Assuming the CPU? Delidding it and replacing the toothpaste Intel uses with liquid metal would improve the temps by a lot. Also, check the Vcore voltage. The pre overclocked settings are usually absolute crap, because they hope that the PC will kill itself once the warranty runs out.

For the GPU, the Armor is about as low end as you can get. It uses a cooler made for the 1070, which is a 150W card, on a 250W card. There are some bracket things that allow you to mount an Asetek AiO onto the GPU.

There's also the option of simply increasing the fan speeds.

:)

I had the same issue with my system with this crazy hot British summer ?. What I did was dial back my OC on my 1700 and voltage, saved my old config to apply it when it cools down. Then I just made some custom fan curves and turned them up so that my system went from silent but overheating to audible but cool. Or you can just leave your side panel off until it cools down, but you'll have to deal with more dust. Plus ngl, that cooler on the 1080ti is shit tier, but could be helped by replacing the thermal paste on it.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

45 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

I would say undervolt it until the end of summer. Dont need to run out and spend money on new fans. I would tell you lover your voltage though then again you said you bought the overclock so I assume you dont know much in that area

How would I undervolt it. and yes I dont know much in that area.( as in overclocking and such)

1 hour ago, Peskanova said:

Wouldn't this void my warranty for the GPU? 

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Those are fine. What is the "it" that reached 99°C? Assuming the CPU? Delidding it and replacing the toothpaste Intel uses with liquid metal would improve the temps by a lot. Also, check the Vcore voltage. The pre overclocked settings are usually absolute crap, because they hope that the PC will kill itself once the warranty runs out.

For the GPU, the Armor is about as low end as you can get. It uses a cooler made for the 1070, which is a 150W card, on a 250W card. There are some bracket things that allow you to mount an Asetek AiO onto the GPU.

There's also the option of simply increasing the fan speeds.

Yes it, is the CPU. I have seen videos on Delidding, but again wouldn't that void my warranty.

Wouldn't want to do that until at least 3 years of buying the CPU, so that even if i mess it up, i would have at least used it enough to warrant replacing it.

1 hour ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

Thanks, I will look into it. Just to make sure but would it be as simple as making sure I got a backup then reseting cmos? then when i need to add it back, just restore config. I will do more research as i haven't yet had a chance to...

When I get home I will post some screenshots of the graph temps.

2 hours ago, TekSupport said:

I will try to include all the necessary information. Let me know if i have missed anything out.

System Specs:

CPU: i7 7700k (Overclocked at 4.5ghz, bought overclocked at SCAN.co.uk,  3XS)

Cooler: BeQuiet BK018 Dark Rock 3

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-P

Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 Veng LPX

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Armor

Case: some maplin case, can't find the exact case as it shutdown.

I have had most of this build for about 13 Months, GPU only for 2 month. (previously GTX 760)

Around 3 days ago, I Realised my FPS was lower than it usually was, at first I passed it off as being a Game issue.

A few hours later, I checked MSI Afterburner to check some of my temps. I found that my GPU was reaching temps of 84°C ingame and my CPU averaging 85°C+.

The max temp my cpu was getting to was 99°C .

I then opened up the side panel and checked the temps cpu, gpu. After a day of testing, it had showed it decreased to 75-83°C on the GPU and 79-86°C and maxing out at 99°C (according to MSI Afterburner.)

I live in the UK, and so this wasn't a problem up until this summer. (previously my temps never got above 70°C ) Temps outside reach up to 30°C . Not a lot of wind so its hotter in my room.

I currently have 3 fans not including the cpu fan.(2 intakes in the front, 1 out in the back) What is the ideal solution to keeping my temps low?

1. Would it be to Replace my current fans and add 2 more new ones? if so what are the best fans to use?

2. Would it be to get an AIO cooler for my CPU? if so what would you recommend?

3. Another alternative!

When replying to this Post make sure to consider the following:

No Custom Cooling.

No Overkill solutions.

Won't Undo the Overlocking. (Don't have the time, look into the process/ testing the voltages to overlock it again after summer)

I want to be able to max performance with temps of up to 75-80°C max for my CPU/GPU.
I want to survive the Summer without killing my PC.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Ok a few things here. First unless you are referring to MWE you aren't really overclocking. The boost on that cpu is 4.5 to begin with.

Now your gpu temps in the 80's isn't bad. You might try turning up the fan a tad, but it should be fine regardless. They are meant to stand those type of temps.

Your Cpu in the mid 80's is warmer that I personally prefer, but is will within the operating temps and should be fine, now the spikes to 99c are not good and you will need to do something about that.

Personally with your current clock speeds I would try going in to the bios, going in to the power options and selecting offset mode. Set it at - .02 or .015. This should be enough that you are still stable (these things are notorious for being overvolted at stock levels) while also reducing your temps across the board. I won't get in to great detail on why these are the settings I am suggesting, because I doubt you really care :-P.

Anyways I would give -.02 a try first and if you don't see any crashes or stability issues you are good. If so try - .015. (which SHOULD work for sure)  Depending on what your current voltages are at you can easily see a 10-15c drop in temps from this. Honestly most of these chips can run at about 1.15-1.18 v without much issue at stock clocks.

54 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ok a few things here. First unless you are referring to MWE you aren't really overclocking. The boost on that cpu is 4.5 to begin with.

Now your gpu temps in the 80's isn't bad. You might try turning up the fan a tad, but it should be fine regardless. They are meant to stand those type of temps.

Your Cpu in the mid 80's is warmer that I personally prefer, but is will within the operating temps and should be fine, now the spikes to 99c are not good and you will need to do something about that.

Personally with your current clock speeds I would try going in to the bios, going in to the power options and selecting offset mode. Set it at - .02 or .015. This should be enough that you are still stable (these things are notorious for being overvolted at stock levels) while also reducing your temps across the board. I won't get in to great detail on why these are the settings I am suggesting, because I doubt you really care :-P.

Anyways I would give -.02 a try first and if you don't see any crashes or stability issues you are good. If so try - .015. (which SHOULD work for sure)  Depending on what your current voltages are at you can easily see a 10-15c drop in temps from this. Honestly most of these chips can run at about 1.15-1.18 v without much issue at stock clocks.

Whats MWE?

Also I bought it overclocked, I'm not sure at the exact overlock since I can't remember what It said and I haven't had a chance to check the Bios after deciding to Post on a forum, but I remember it was somewhere around that point. but its similar to the following link, however since it was about a year ago the package is not on the site anymore. (also have the RAM overclocked to 3000)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-z370-overclocked-bundle-intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-asus-tuf-z370-plus-16gb-ddr4-be-quiet!-d

Also the only reason I am worried about the 80's temps are when I first ordered my parts, I did some research and it was about how i7 7700k had problems overclocking since it couldn't handle the higher temps. And the 99c spikes are the most worrying.

Also is the offset option reducing the power by 2% or 15% or is it something else. Also I would be grateful if you did explain, since I have recently started a career in I.T and any new knowledge is great and welcome.

The Only reason I don't want to mess too much with the Overclock settings is that the bundle comes with a warranty and I don't want to void that. When I do get the chance to overclock it would be on a lower end system that doesn't cost as much.

Thanks for your response.

30 minutes ago, TekSupport said:

Whats MWE?

Also I bought it overclocked, I'm not sure at the exact overlock since I can't remember what It said and I haven't had a chance to check the Bios after deciding to Post on a forum, but I remember it was somewhere around that point. but its similar to the following link, however since it was about a year ago the package is not on the site anymore. (also have the RAM overclocked to 3000)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-z370-overclocked-bundle-intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-asus-tuf-z370-plus-16gb-ddr4-be-quiet!-d

Also the only reason I am worried about the 80's temps are when I first ordered my parts, I did some research and it was about how i7 7700k had problems overclocking since it couldn't handle the higher temps. And the 99c spikes are the most worrying.

Also is the offset option reducing the power by 2% or 15% or is it something else. Also I would be grateful if you did explain, since I have recently started a career in I.T and any new knowledge is great and welcome.

The Only reason I don't want to mess too much with the Overclock settings is that the bundle comes with a warranty and I don't want to void that. When I do get the chance to overclock it would be on a lower end system that doesn't cost as much.

Thanks for your response.

Ok MCE (what I meant to type) is known as multi-core enhancement. It makes it so all cores run at their max boost rate instead of down clocking as more cores are being used.

Offset mode when used like I suggest will reduce the voltage your CPU is getting by the amount you specify.

In offset mode it actually changes the entire power curve by that amount which can be good or bad depending on how you overclock (it is great for your needs though). So the way the offset works is this. Your cpu requests voltage from the motherboard. The offset will either add or reduce the voltage by a fixed amount. Normally these CPU's like to run in the 1.2-1.24 ish voltage at stock, which is much higher than the 1.18 or so they need. This generates lots of extra heat so it is generally a good place to start on these chips.

1 hour ago, TekSupport said:

Whats MWE?

Contact store and complain to them. They clearly haven't tested it enough since it overheats. Cooler isn't best possible to OC that CPU, but should be able to do it. But your temps are over safe limits for gaming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

Found that my motherboard had 2 presets saved in the overclocking option, The first was the default settings and the second was the overclocked settings. I loaded the first Preset which removed the overclock and turned the PC on and did some more tests.

The Temps have gone down to a Max of 80c for both CPU and GPU.

Thanks all for the help.

Also thanks AngryBeaver for the detailed help, hadn't got round to trying your solution before resolving the problem.

P.S. My overclock was at 4.8Ghz.