help deciding between android phones to mess with/ test out

hey all, im thinking about getting a used android phone to mess, and experiment with before i possibly switch, sometime next year i think. after researching and digging, i narrowed it down to 3 options: the sony Xperia Z1, the Xperia L1, and the note 5. any say on what i should, or shouldn't get?

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

Probably the Z1 since you mentioned you're only gonna be messing about with it for a year. The L1 is a compelling phone but it's not worth using just a year in my view, it looks worthy of being a daily for at least two years.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Probably the Z1 since you mentioned you're only gonna be messing about with it for a year. The L1 is a compelling phone but it's not worth using just a year in my view, it looks worthy of being a daily for at least two years.

i dont know that ill be using it for just a year, that just happens to be how long till im up for a new phone. its probable that it will become a secondary device of some sort.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

1 minute ago, thehardwarehacker said:

i dont know that ill be using it for just a year, that just happens to be how long till im up for a new phone. its probable that it will become a secondary device of some sort.

In that case, the L1 would be a solid secondary phone. You may actually have just convinced me to pick myself up an L1, it seems like a nice budget phone.

3 minutes ago, MiNy said:

it seems like a nice budget phone.

well, since i plan to get it off the used market, most all of the phones are pretty cheap/ budget friendly. i do like how big the screen looks, and the look of L1 handset in general.

1 minute ago, thehardwarehacker said:

i do like how big the screen looks, and the look of L1 handset in general.

Yeah, I agree. It's a beautiful device. If you can get it for dirt cheap, definitely go for it.