Best CPU for Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop?

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Hmmm, the same video card as in my case and that huge difference on the same site? I see 330$ in Newegg.

It is $276 after rebates, and $296 without rebates.

SuDsNgI.png?1

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

So, as you see, if someone recalculate everything in my calculation based on lowest prices, it saves probably over 100$.

Still thinking that buying i7 for Illustrator and Photoshop has no sense.

I even think that he should buy first everything without graphics card and use Intel GPU for some time for tests.

It saves lot of money and GFX card he can add later if really needed.

So in my case that will be about 650$. And it's good start with 16GB of RAM and 500 GB of SSD.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Hmmm, the same video card as in my case and that huge difference on the same site? I see 330$ in Newegg.

Arbfm asks for Illustrator and Photoshop and you recommend him the same parts as for someone who asks for gaming computer (ok, cheap gaming computer, but still). So if it's no difference what someone asks for - why just don't ask "I want ANY computer, what do you recommend"?

I'm sorry if I asked the wrong question. But this PC has to be used for professional work. And he would rather spend a lot of money now, than spend a lot more money when he has to upgrade. :D

Professional work doesn't mean high price and high end processors.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Professional work doesn't mean high price and high end processors.

No, but it means it has to be reliable and fast.

In graphics that is more ram and faster hdd. You didn't see difference in PS if it will be i3 or i7. Probably even Pentium. But of course its always your choice. Good luck.

For anything Adobe avoid everything AMD.

Get a cheap ass nvidia graphics card, like a GTX 1050 for example...and a mid-range intel CPU...like a mainstream locked core i7 and you will ge good to go...if you work on heavy stuff get 32GB of RAM and a spare 512gb SSD...if you work on lighter stuff get 16GB of RAM and a 256gb SSD.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

For anything Adobe avoid everything AMD.

Get a cheap ass nvidia graphics card, like a GTX 1050 for example...and a mid-range intel CPU...like a mainstream locked core i7 and you will ge good to go.

That was also exactly was I was going with, thanks brother! :D

16gb is NOT the "best" fit for adobe products.  They are VERY ram intensive once you start adding layers.
If he's going to be making $ at this and has the budget then START @ 64gb of ram.

Supported GPU cards are used with the Quadro series like the M2000 being better for illustrator/photoshop/premiere then even a 1080.
This was told to me just 3 days ago by Nvidia senior engineer himself.

I'm not surprised that Nvidia senior engineer told you that. :) What else he should say? That you need cheap GPU and that's all and Quadro are hugely overpriced? :)

Reading this topic I'm start thinking that my years of work on vector and raster graphics software was waste of time (even if I earn money doing that stuff). For sure the only option for Photoshop is to have i9 with at least 20 cores, 128 GB ram and few fastest M.2 on the market. And that's just for moving pointer on screen, because for opening any document I need at least two 1080Ti in SLI. And NVidia Quadro if I want to add any filter to image.

I understand that better computer = better work, but can you explain me what are Pentium or i3 processors for if even for static images or vector graphics you need i7 and super GPU?

If you need that much power for processing static images, then I cannot imagine what computer you may recommend for using Adobe Premiere.

Sure, I want to buy myself i7 8700k in the near future and 32GB RAM, but not for PS and AI!

I think an 8400 would be plenty fast for Adobe.  You could get away with the stock cooler at that point and possibly invest more in ram, storage, case, etc.

I realize the recommendations are all over the place in this thread, and what I'll say is sort of on the subjective side, but for a mostly productivity focused build I'd go for overkill RAM and a fast SSD over beefier CPU.  GPU acceleration is kind of a hit and miss - some features in photoshop like it but they may not see use.  So it feels safe to have something like a gtx 1050 or rx 460, but isn't entirely necessary.  If you think your friend would be doing other things on the side, then maybe beef up the CPU/GPU a bit more.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I'm not surprised 

Reading this topic I'm start thinking that my years of work on vector and raster graphics software was waste of time (even if I earn money doing that stuff). For sure the only option for Photoshop is to have i9 with at least 20 cores, 128 GB ram and few fastest M.2 on the market. And that's just for moving pointer on screen, because for opening any document I need at least two 1080Ti in SLI. And NVidia Quadro if I want to add any filter to image.

90% true of this site haha should be renamed Linus tech trolls. 

I was making multi layer images and renderings on my old i5-4440 with 24 gigs of mix and match ram and a standard hdd and a rx470 just fine. 

In most cases I've noticed your better off going to YouTube and checking reviews of said configurations. Theirs a few decent people with great advice here but most are "oh you play Microsoft solitaire get a 8700k but you also use ms paint get a Ryzen" lol just YouTube good Photoshop pc builds. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

31 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

In most cases I've noticed your better off going to YouTube and checking reviews of said configurations. Theirs a few decent people with great advice here but most are "oh you play Microsoft solitaire get a 8700k but you also use ms paint get a Ryzen" lol just YouTube good Photoshop pc builds. 

What I'll see a lot - and I'm guilty of this myself - we'll put value over everything else, even if the proposed system is overkill for the task.  Some configurations give you a lot of performance for the money, but even buying a mid range new setup these days can be pretty overkill for certain situations.

More specifically to this case, somebody asked for a recommendation with no budget, kinda edging that he was thinking of an i7.  Even if the focus is primarily illustrator, I'll go in with the mindset that he does professional graphics work, and that perhaps the software will expand beyond adobe some day.

It may be true, but in that future todays super i7 processor may be just obsolete.