Age old Question - iPhone vs Android

Let's set the scene here. 

I've had smart phones now for 11 years. I Started at Symbian OS then got to Windows Mobile and ended up at Android. Not once have I had an iPhone. 

If you had of asked me a few years back why I didn't like iPhones I would have given you any of the following answers:

> iPhones don't have clipboard support

> iPhones are too expensive 

> iPhones are too small

> I Cant used <Insert Bluetooth device here> with the iPhone

> <Insert App Here> is not on the app marketplace 

> iPhones don't have expandable storage

> I would have to use iTunes to sync my music and iTunes is the devil incarnate. 

I was given an iPad Air very recently and was blown away by the polish and overall experience of the product - It just worked. This got me thinking, why have I never owned an iPhone? Most of the above points are moot now. iPhones can copy and paste, I'm happy to pay for quality now, they have gotten bigger, Bluetooth support is a non-issue, the app marketplace is larger than Googles', I no longer use expandable storage and the only reason why I would need iTunes is for my music which I now use Spotify for. 

All of the App's I use on my Galaxy S8 Plus have IOS Equivalents and I'm almost up for an upgrade from my carrier.  I Don't have any particular gripes with Android, I Just want something different. 

So realistically - Fanboy's aside - What are the Downsides of iOS?

That list of reasons you gave is pretty subjective.

The main thing is that you get locked into the ecosystem with apple accounts, apple id, etc.

If you're ok with that, (switching your computers to apple, paying more, etc etc etc) then you can't really go wrong with an iphone.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That list of reasons you gave is pretty subjective.

The main thing is that you get locked into the ecosystem with apple accounts, apple id, etc.

If you're ok with that, (switching your computers to apple, paying more, etc etc etc) then you can't really go wrong with an iphone.

That's what I thought - All of my personal gripes I had seemed to be non-existent now. I Don't think I would have to make the jump from Windows to Mac but I do understand that iPhones live in the iUniverse and it will be a walled garden as far as Apps/Services/Peripherals are concerned. 

24 minutes ago, SilentSausage93 said:

> iPhones don't have clipboard support

> iPhones are too expensive 

> iPhones are too small

> I Cant used <Insert Bluetooth device here> with the iPhone

> <Insert App Here> is not on the app marketplace 

> I would have to use iTunes to sync my music and iTunes is the devil incarnate. 

iPhones being too expensive is questionable considering flagships from their main Android rival Samsung can be just as expensive. iPhones are too small... what? Apart from the SE, they're just as big as your main rivals. Bluetooth for the most part you can't file share with it. App availability, that's a given due to how Apple actually has to approve apps. It's not a free for all like in Google Play Store. 

And yes, iTunes is probably the most hated app Apple makes. Long gone are the days were it was just you and your music which is funny as I believe that was how Apple marketed it at the beginning. Nowadays it's just bloated, slow, and has so many unnecessary restrictions that seemingly don't make sense. I can't manage my iPhone on more than one device? Heaven forbit I have a desktop and a laptop. No better yet, an iMac and a Macbook, two of your own products that should go hand and hand with this thing, thanks guys... 

If my iPhone 4 wasn't just generally too slow for 2018 (and maybe if the camera wasn't so crap), I would probably still be using it. The size oddly enough was perfect for its main purpose, to be a phone. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhones being too expensive is questionable considering flagships from their main Android rival Samsung can be just as expensive. iPhones are too small... what?

You've got to remember these gripes were from when the iPhone 4 was released. Now, Sizes and prices are on par to Android Flagships. 

Quick question Re: iTunes - Is it possible to use the iPhone without ever needing iTunes?

On my Galaxy - Photo's backup to Google Drive and Contacts sync with my Exchange account. If my phone get's lost, it gets lost. I have what I care about in those two services. 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

If you like paying more for the lack of customization, audio jack, microsd slot

If you like being punished for trying to leave Apple's ecosystem

If you like going a week without your phone instead of 2 hours when you need it repaired

Then yeah an iPhone is for you

Customisation and expandable memory isn't really an issue, Audio jack I'm still unsure about.  Care to Elaborate on being punished when leaving Apple's ecosystem? 

I've had to have Sony's/Samsungs repaired under warranty before and it's also taken weeks, I keep a spare incase this happends. 

As far as cost, it does appear to be more expensive than an equivalent Android phone but that doesn't bother me to much. 

Why not buy a iPhone? The damn thing does not have my apps! ;__;

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

On 27.6.2018 at 12:55 AM, SilentSausage93 said:

Do you really need more than 256gb storage? For what?

Internal storage > SD Card.

SD Card is not a replacement for missing internal storage, trust me. Multiple times slower, and many Apps don't really use it, like Whatsapp. Thats why 16gb Android phones would be absolutely unuseable for me, ef ven with a 300 TB sd card - Whatsapp fills the internal storage, and then it's over.

TL;DR: SD Card slot is irrelevant if there is enough internal storage.

On 27.6.2018 at 7:10 AM, huilun02 said:

If you like going a week without your phone instead of 2 hours when you need it repaired

Name 1 single Smartphone manufafcturer, that repair your phone within 2 hours.

If anyone is fast, then Apple. go to a store, tell them what's wrong, and you get a new one or at least untill yours is fixed. Never heared anything remotely to that for samsung, LG, HTC, and especially not Oneplus.

Why would an iPhone brick? There are more than enough how-tos about iPhones, they never bricked.

And no matter where i live, this Louis Rossmann will repair it in 2 hours? This might be the case for people living near him.

That's some kind of generalization that makes no sense tbh. You seem to just search for reasons to hate apple. You can just like that find stuff, that's shit on Android and much better on iOS if you search for them, and ignore all the other arguments.

For example, Apple giving 4-5 years timely updates without any delay for EVERY product they launch.

Android? Dead after 2-3 years~, and after a half year, updates start to get slower unless you buy an overpriced pixel (which is still not that overpriced, considering it's the only Android device, that offers 3 years major updates, instead of 2)

You can easy use your iPhone for 5 full years, and still be up to date with anything.

iPhone 5s from 2013? Np, will get iOS 12 this fall, which gets it a huge performance boost. With that, it will have an up-to-date software for 6 whole Years (untill Fall 2019). Friend of mine still uses one, but will upgrade to an 8 Plus, because his plan ended recently, and he seems to have an charging issue because of the lightning port or something.

Android is NOT better than iOS.

iOS is NOT better than Android.

They have both pros and cons.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

A repair store can replace an Android phone screen under 2 hours

Try that with an iPhone and it bricks

And no you don't get to diss repair stores. Go find Loius Rossmann he can repair a Macbook's PCB, faster and to a better state than any Apple repair store will ever do.

Yeah - I'm not paying for a repair store to fix a phone that is clearly under warranty.  Again, when I've had both Samsung and Sony phones repaired under warranty before, I've had to send it aware only to receive it back weeks later. 

7 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Android is NOT better than iOS.

iOS is NOT better than Android.

They have both pros and cons.

That's what i'm taking away from this thread. I Think it's just going to come down to personal preference. 

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Phone updates are overrated... even on the Android side of things. What do these updates do that make it so highly regarded?

New versions basically do nothing but look different. Security updates? There has not been a single actual widespread case where phone security has been breached with malicious intent. There are 'vulnerabilities' but no reports of them actually being leveraged. Bad apps? Apps come from the App store and the latest security updates can't save you if Apple/Google lets nasty stuff onto the app store.

The market is full of brainwashed sheep. Both on the Android and Apple side of the fence. With Android I can at the very least take ownership of my device and have it do exactly what I want. Which includes installing my own customized OS, having it look the way I like. Using specialized apps like Adaway and firewalls to eradicate ads/trackers and control app permissions with an iron fist. I get to run my expensive high impedance headset without needing any fancy attachments. I get to effectively store and transfer sensitive info  with removable storage.

Yes, Apple's phones sell a lot and are very popular. Great for the casual plebs who are not power users or have an inkling of what they want in their phone. People who don't know how the magic device in their hands even function, let alone understanding the hardware implications under the skin. Are you one of them? Yes I can wholeheartedly recommend an iPhone to you.

And by the way I have an S4 that is running Oreo. Just sayin :)

You raise some very good points in regards to the Customizability, whilst I havn't messed with custom ROMS for a very long time I do however use a custom launcher and rely on a few apps which to my knowledge are not available on the Apple side of the fence (Samsung SideSync is the single best app on my phone, the keyboard/mouse sharing is amazing -

Over the past week I've kept a log of sorts as to what I actually use my phone for, 80% could be done on an iPhone without issue - the other 20% (Custom launcher, SideSync at work) I could not replicate.  The Questions is, do I want to ditch that 20% just to have something "'Different" or is this a case of "the grass is greener on the other side"? 

19 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Performance boost of iOS 12? Apps just start faster. They don't actually run faster. Go read the details of the update...

I don't need to read what i already know perfectly well.

Apps starting way faster, especially if the Device is already under load actually IS "runs faster". These things are a very huge part of a Device, where you can feel any slow downs.

When Whatsapp is already opened, with open Keyboard, ready to type? You will see literaly no difference here when typing between a 200€ phone and a 1000€ phone, unless the 200€ phone won't be able to even type letters in 60 fps.

It's when you OPEN whatsapp, where it makes a HUGE difference, if you have to wait 5 seconds untill the App is loaded, or the Keyboard opened. btw, i had this issue on my S7 Edge, after 1 year~ usage after the last full Wipe (but i had only 4gb storage left, and way too many apps / junk on it), when it lay around, and i got a Whatsapp reply. I unlocked it, started Whatsapp by pressing on the notification, and needed to wait a few seconds. Then  literaly waited 3-4 seconds sometimes untill the Keyboard poped up after i was in the Chat already. Now after a Wipe / fresh firmware flash, it's way better.

But this is exactly the huge "runs slow" problem: It takes too long between "pressing on the App icon" untill "App is ready to use".

I don't know how you define "runs faster" for you, but for me it's not a fast forward mode..

Waiting on the App to load (be it due to the SoC, or Storage, or Ram), waiting for things like Keyboard to pop up, waiting for the App to actually close when you press Home, waiting for the other App to open, when you switch between apps. Or slow Internet.

These things are when you feel a "your phone slows done" the most. And not the occasional frame drop while typing in Whatsapp

Let me start off with this; I have owned both OS's and have enjoyed both and what they can do respectively. Taking into account the software glitches because it's always good to set yourself for the bad first. Android had many more opportunities to crash from an app freezing on the device it's running on and it could be because of RAM of the device and what's running in the background. This can be done through the snapchat app on android on a Samsung Galaxy s7 with it's slightly smaller RAM and able to handle multitasking it would crash a couple times a day or even more. Now put the same app on a s9 and your results vary, it could end out that the app would only crash about once every other week and that's with heavy apps running in the background and eating up that processing power and the RAM being drained. 

If you take the application to an iPhone 7 there would be no freezing or crashing as that phone allocates the proper RAM usage for the app it's running. That's not to say it won't ever crash but the chance of it shutting down with out reason is way less likely  on an iPhone and it honestly boils down to the hardware the OS is running on and whether or not the old phone can handle the new software and also if the producer makes tweaks here and there for it run on older hardware. Now that's not to say the iPhone is glitch free because it isn't and can be troublesome at times. 

The glitches and security bypasses in iOS has been piled up on end and I could go on for hours but I won't. The only ones I will mention are the camera hacks and the text message hacks. Starting out with the camera hacks that allow you to bypass the lock screen and gain access to the phone through the camera app, now I'm not going to full on but the premise is that there a was glitch where you could access persons photos and even possible text messages. There was a great video on this by everything apple pro \/\/\/\/ 

this is honestly a great watch and worth looking into because this kind of stuff can happen with any build that's new. next is the other hack will if you're still on a certain version of iOS will crash and possibly brick your phone and there actually two videos that give perfect examples of this 

and 

these are issues that can't be ignored. Now onto the respective good things about both iOS and Android is that they both work perfectly is you know what you want in a phone and what hardware it's going on. For instance if you're more a developer and wanting to looking into rooting and dev control in a device you would go with android and open up a whole world of options. iOS does let you do some developing but it's more closed off and doesn't allow too much with out either jailbraiking or paying for certain apps that allow permission to the iOS to open up to your programming.