Is it okay to overclock my laptop monitor?

Renton577

So I have an HP omen laptop that has a 60Hz display and my home monitor I connect it to is 80Hz so I wanted a closer experience to me being at home while I was on the go so I overclocked the display. I tried 80Hz to match my home monitor and got almost a scan line effect on the screen, reduced it to 75Hz and its running fine now, my question is am I okay doing this or should I just leave it at the 60Hz? And yes I can tell the difference when playing games so the overclock does seem worth it for me.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Up to you. There is a risk that overclocking the display can kill it, and you have to accept the consequences if it does.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Your colours can get pretty messed up with a monitor overclock but if everything seems fine, then your overclock is fine. I overclocked my panel from 60 to 75Hz, but later got rid of the overclock because I didn't think it was worth sacrificing the lifespan of the monitor in exchange for a higher refresh rate.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Up to you. There is a risk that overclocking the display can kill it, and you have to accept the consequences if it does.

It can kill it? how likely is that to happen?

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Your colours can get pretty messed up with a monitor overclock but if everything seems fine, then your overclock is fine. I overclocked my panel from 60 to 75Hz, but later got rid of the overclock because I didn't think it was worth sacrificing the lifespan of the monitor in exchange for a higher refresh rate.

How much does it effect the lifespan? the 80Hz monitor I have is a 75HZ monitor thats just a 60Hz monitor factory overclocked by Dell so if dell factory overclocks 60Hz panels and sells them as 75Hz can it really be all that bad?

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

1 minute ago, Renton577 said:

How much does it effect the lifespan? the 80Hz monitor I have is a 75HZ monitor thats just a 60Hz monitor factory overclocked by Dell so if dell factory overclocks 60Hz panels and sells them as 75Hz can it really be all that bad?

Monitor overclocking is like CPU and GPU overclocking. It's hard to tell how much, if at all, your monitor's lifespan will decrease after overclocking it. It's just like silicon lottery, you might get lucky or you might not.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Monitor overclocking is like CPU and GPU overclocking. It's hard to tell how much, if at all, your monitor's lifespan will decrease after overclocking it. It's just like silicon lottery, you might get lucky or you might not.

If I plan on getting a new laptop in the next few years do you think it will be okay? I wouldn't think it could reduce the lifespan by all that much.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

51 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

If I plan on getting a new laptop in the next few years do you think it will be okay? I wouldn't think it could reduce the lifespan by all that much.

Again, it's hard to tell how long your overclocked monitor will last. But sure, if it makes you feel any better, your overclocked monitor will last at least 3 years (Although I don't know if this will actually be the case).

54 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

I wouldn't risk it, laptop monitors are not built like your normal desktop monitors. The chances of killing any monitor is high. But if you really don't care about killing it and you are planning on throwing it away, then sure.

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I wouldn't risk it, laptop monitors are not built like your normal desktop monitors. The chances of killing it is higher.

And what's your proof for that?

And what's your proof for that?

You mean the chances of killing any monitors is pretty high?

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

You mean the chances of killing any monitors is pretty high?

No, it depends on the actual panel. Some monitors will last longer than others, some won't. You can't just round up all monitors in the world and say they'll easily die because of an overclock.

No, it depends on the actual panel. Some monitors will last longer than others, some won't. You can't just round up all monitors in the world and say they'll easily die because of an overclock.

But why overclock it when you could just get a 75Hz monitor for cheap?

2 hours ago, Renton577 said:

So I have an HP omen laptop that has a 60Hz display and my home monitor I connect it to is 80Hz so I wanted a closer experience to me being at home while I was on the go so I overclocked the display. I tried 80Hz to match my home monitor and got almost a scan line effect on the screen, reduced it to 75Hz and its running fine now, my question is am I okay doing this or should I just leave it at the 60Hz? And yes I can tell the difference when playing games so the overclock does seem worth it for me.

On a desktop maybe but on a laptop I would not. It’s not worth the risk on a laptop because if that thing breaks it’s going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. Also the difference is very small it maybe a placebo effect you are experiencing. But if you really wanted to do it, you have already made your mind up now and are looking for someone else to give you the heads up. Whatever you choice good luck to you.

23 hours ago, Daniel_1104 said:

On a desktop maybe but on a laptop I would not. It’s not worth the risk on a laptop because if that thing breaks it’s going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. Also the difference is very small it maybe a placebo effect you are experiencing. But if you really wanted to do it, you have already made your mind up now and are looking for someone else to give you the heads up. Whatever you choice good luck to you.

Laptop screens are cheap to replace if you are able to swap it yourself

I would definitely overclock the monitor. It won't really change the monitor lifespan since it's just increasing the refresh rate. It might use a but more power but it won't do anything bad to it. The difference in games is quite big

That's an F in the profile pic

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2018 at 2:39 AM, Renton577 said:

hey dude don't do it because I did it to my laptop and then my lapotp screen went white out 10 seconds and then everything came back I do not suggest overclocking the display in laptops because the hardware in the laptop is not that powerful when you compare it to pc and if you are going for a expensive gaming laptop then probably it would have 144hz or even 240 hz depends upon how much money you are spending cause when it comes to the laptop you have a battery it it which has certain limits that's why we have to plug in our laptop while gaming.Companies like hp.dell.asus won't take chances to leave the display for overclocking they block it due to various reasons but when it comes to monitor it can be maximum optimized to 75 hz with the help of amd freesync and i am assuming that you are having nvidia graphics card which is probably not gonna support to 75 hz.So enjoy 60hz dude i thoguht same with 60hz but when you run a game at 144 fps on 60zhhz panel it is probably one of the smoothest experience that you will have cause it reduces your input lag and the game feels far better from  60 fps it feels like 90 fps cause the input lag is reduced a lot and talking about 144hz display you can have it but the main problem is that they are good for competitive gamers if you play casually just for fun or wanna go pro then 60hz can be a good start for you probably then you can most likely go for 144 hz monitor and honestly speaking I got 144 hz a monitor for myself and I don't fell much difference with atleast my human eyes .And one more thing that you will fell  when you are gaming is that in 144hz uyou fill game a liitle snappy.
Hope it helps.

xd

On 6/26/2018 at 11:09 PM, Renton577 said:

I wouldn't risk to kill my laptop to gain 15Hz personaly