Vega 64 for freesync or GTX 1080

kennymax89

I am currently running a ASUS MG279Q "27" IPS 144 Hz Free Sync 2560x1440  monitor driven by a R9 390X. I have the opportunity to get a new Card at no cost to me, my options are a Vega 64 or a GTX 1080. I am aware that the GTX 1080 appears to edge out the Vega 64, but is it worth having the Vega 64 to utilize the freesync on my monitor?

3 minutes ago, kennymax89 said:

I am currently running a ASUS MG279Q "27" IPS 144 Hz Free Sync 2560x1440  monitor driven by a R9 390X. I have the opportunity to get a new Card at no cost to me, my options are a Vega 64 or a GTX 1080. I am aware that the GTX 1080 appears to edge out the Vega 64, but is it worth having the Vega 64 to utilize the freesync on my monitor?

I would stay with freesync and vega64 is kinda more rare/pricier lol  depending on card aib

but you giving up some for freesync

Sacrificing the nominal amount of performance difference between the two would be worth keeping freesync, to me.

I'm on the Gsync end of the variable refresh rate, and honestly, I won't be going back to fixed refresh rate any time soon.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, Semper said:

Sacrificing the nominal amount of performance difference between the two would be worth keeping freesync, to me.

Agreed.  If it was a 1080ti I'd go Nvidia, but the Vega 64 and freesync is a better option.

DO NOT get a VEGA FE.

If you are mainly using your system for gaming, then I would definitely go for the Vega 64. The ability of having a variable refresh rate in games is much more valuable than the (small) performance increase that the 1080 has to offer.

i'm with the others...i use Gsync...with a 1080...but i would rather have a Vega 64 with freesync, than a 1080 with no variable refresh.

Should have bought a Gsync monitor though, would not have this problem today :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have a powercolor red devil vega 64 available to me, so sounds like i should go with that. I have never owned a powercolor card before, are they just as reliable as

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i'm with the others...i use Gsync...with a 1080...but i would rather have a Vega 64 with freesync, than a 1080 with no variable refresh.

Should have bought a Gsync monitor though, would not have this problem today :D

I got the monitor a year and a half ago on newegg as a shell shocker for 369.00 USD a gsync would have been way more at the time :(

-I have a powercolor red devil vega 64 available to me, so sounds like i should go with that. I have never owned a powercolor card before, are they just as reliable as the rest?

2 minutes ago, kennymax89 said:

-I have a powercolor red devil vega 64 available to me, so sounds like i should go with that. I have never owned a powercolor card before, are they just as reliable as the rest?

Yes powercolor is a good brand, and it seems they finally removed the pentagram from the backplate of the devil cards, so your computer isn't summoning the satan anymore every time you boot up the computer.