Editing of NAS or external hdd

Walt

Hi everyone,

My dad edits in Final Cut Pro X on his iMac. In fcp the footage is copied to the project and now his main os drive full. I saw that you can change the file destination so that's what I'm planning to do.

I have 2 (or 3) options:

1. Use external hard disks. Probably USB 2.0 because thunderbolt cages are really expensive. (iMac only has USB 2.0)

2. Buy a bareboness NAS (probably 2nd handed) and put in 4x 2TB of wd yellow labelled hard drives. (I have these laying around)

(3. Use the internal 2nd hard drive that is almost full. So it probably needs to be upgraded)

I was thinking about getting a bareboness NAS en putting the hard drives in but the only concern I have is if our internet speed is too low. It is 40Mb/s up an 2Mb/s down is this too low for editing of it and will the internet be slow for other people in the house when he is editing?

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

22 minutes ago, Walt said:

I was thinking about getting a bareboness NAS en putting the hard drives in but the only concern I have is if our internet speed is too low. It is 40Mb/s up an 2Mb/s down is this too low for editing of it and will the internet be slow for other people in the house when he is editing?

Um, your Internet-speeds don't matter since all the data will travel inside your local network, not over the Internet (unless you've really fucked up your network-setup in the first place, and then you've got bigger problems!) Does your dad's iMac have a gigabit Ethernet-card? Does your router/switch/hub do gigabit-speeds? If yes, then NAS is the way to go, USB2.0 is very, very slow and totally unusable for video-editing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Your ISP plan is irrelevant here.

USB2.0 is very slow by internal HDD standards. You won't have a good experience.

Best options are either NAS or another internal HDD. If you setup a server particularly in RAID 5/6 and buy a 10Gbit NIC (you can do this cost effectively) he'll have a better experience scrubbing though footage over the network.

Ebay is a nice place to pick up bare-bones second hand servers from vendors such as supermicro. Do be aware they're not quiet machines. You won't want it in a bedroom that you frequent or sleep in.

Again, cheapest route, bigger internal HDD.

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

@Windows7ge and @WereCatf

Thanks for the help!

I have a few questions:

- Why do people but a pc as NAS over a normal barboness NAS? And should I consider it? (The price difference would be huge if I'm correct)

- Which bareboness NAS should I look for (4 drives or more)?

- My dads iMac is the model i7 from 2011 and has ethernet but not the ability to be upgraded with a gigabit card or do you add this to the NAS only?

- Is a thunderbolt 2.0 hard drive workable for editing?

PS. Sorry for the reply above *facepalm*

Hey could I possibly run vr on a 8 core r710 server with a rx 570 with 4 gbs ?

17 minutes ago, Raider Liam said:

Hey could I possibly run vr on a 8 core r710 server with a rx 570 with 4 gbs ?

Ehhhh you are posting in another topic. Try to make a new topic :D

41 minutes ago, Walt said:

- Why do people but a pc as NAS over a normal barboness NAS? And should I consider it? (The price difference would be huge if I'm correct)

- Which bareboness NAS should I look for (4 drives or more)?

- My dads iMac is the model i7 from 2011 and has ethernet but not the ability to be upgraded with a gigabit card or do you add this to the NAS only?

- Is a thunderbolt 2.0 hard drive workable for editing?

PS. Sorry for the reply above *facepalm*

1) Because they either have the spare parts, they just like to build their own, or they want more features than ready-made NASes offer. 2) I dunno, I don't use a ready-made. Synology and QNAP should be good brands, as far as I know, but I can't recommend any specific model. 3) A quick Google-search says that all 2011 iMacs should already have gigabit Ethernet. 4) At least a lot better than any USB2.0 - drive would be.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, Walt said:

Ehhhh you are posting in another topic. Try to make a new topic :D

Okay how