Control 3 pin fans

Drakepc

Im sure this has been addressed in another post, sorry to be difficult.  I have an asus b350m-e ryzen mobo, it only has a single fan 4 pin connector. I have (4) 3 pin fans, all connected to a modtek converter (link below) to power them all. Motherboard doesn’t recognize any of them and they run at 100%. I dont know how to mess with voltage and was wondering if and how i could adjust speed whether there is a fan hub that would work or something else?

Please and thank you!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/ModTek-4-Pin-Molex-Connector-Connection/dp/B00MYA3A4C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529783302&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=modtek&dpPl=1&dpID=41664JisjlL&ref=plSrch

The adapter connects the fans to the psu for power and not the motherboard. If you want to control the fans via the motherboard, plug the fans into the fan headers on the motherboard.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, Drakepc said:

Im sure this has been addressed in another post, sorry to be difficult.  I have an asus b350m-e ryzen mobo, it only has a single fan 4 pin connector. I have (4) 3 pin fans, all connected to a modtek converter (link below) to power them all. Motherboard doesn’t recognize any of them and they run at 100%. I dont know how to mess with voltage and was wondering if and how i could adjust speed whether there is a fan hub that would work or something else?

Please and thank you!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/ModTek-4-Pin-Molex-Connector-Connection/dp/B00MYA3A4C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529783302&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=modtek&dpPl=1&dpID=41664JisjlL&ref=plSrch

One of these,    OFF/60%/100%

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Splitter-Cooling-Adapter-Controller/dp/B078ZV4S3F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529784017&sr=8-4&keywords=pc+fan+hub+sata

1 hour ago, Drakepc said:

Please and thank you!!!!

you can't control 3 pin fan with 4 pin mobo header, they will always run at 100%, so your best bet is: 

1 hour ago, glenalz81 said:

do not listen to:

1 hour ago, glenalz81 said:

unless you want to run all of the fans at 100% even at idle. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

22 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

you can't control 3 pin fan with 4 pin mobo header, they will always run at 100%, so your best bet is: 

The motherboard fan headers support both pwm and dc modes for 2, 3, and 4pin fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The motherboard fan headers support both pwm and dc modes for 2, 3, and 4pin fans. 

are you sure about that? I had issues in the past with my fans, I have pwm fans and non pwm fans in my sistem. 3 pin fans do fit in 4pin header but regardless of the curve I set they can't be controlled and run at 100%. meanwhile when in the 3 pin header it is all good. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

2 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

are you sure about that? I had issues in the past with my fans, I have pwm fans and non pwm fans in my sistem. 3 pin fans do fit in 4pin header but regardless of the curve I set they can't be controlled and run at 100%. meanwhile when in the 3 pin header it is all good. 

It's on the motherboard website and manual.

92fc3a1fe3168582b755d97a8d411ad2.png

How fan headers are wired varies between boards and have different fan control options. You can usually find this info in your motherboard manual.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's on the motherboard website and manual.

92fc3a1fe3168582b755d97a8d411ad2.png

How fan headers are wired varies between boards and have different fan control options. You can usually find this info in your motherboard manual.

ohhh that is new to me, so he would just need to go into his bios and change the fan mode from pwm mode (probably set like that by default) to DC mode. If so he would just need fan splitters  and things will be fine

3 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

ohhh that is new to me, so he would just need to go into his bios and change the fan mode from pwm mode (probably set like that by default) to DC mode. If so he would just need fan splitters  and things will be fine

It's set to auto detect pwm / dc by default.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's set to auto detect pwm / dc by default.

if so, then how on earth his fans are running 100%? Now I am clueless. 

22 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

if so, then how on earth his fans are running 100%? Now I am clueless. 

They're just plugged into the psu with an adapter.

32 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're just plugged into the psu with an adapter.

ohh you are absolutely right. 

2 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

do not listen to:

2 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

unless you want to run all of the fans at 100% even at idle.

I have used both with success. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The adapter connects the fans to the psu for power and not the motherboard. If you want to control the fans via the motherboard, plug the fans into the fan headers on the motherboard.

Moved to Air Cooling.

The molex modtek converter plugs into the psu then the power supply 4 pin connector into the motherboard. So i just need a splitter?

thanks for reply

2 hours ago, Drakepc said:

The molex modtek converter plugs into the psu then the power supply 4 pin connector into the motherboard. So i just need a splitter?

thanks for reply

The 4pin plug is for cpu power. You need to plug the fans into the fan headers on the motherboard to control them.

All of the fans (using modtek converter) are plugged into the power supply via molex, then the power supply cord with the 4 pin is plugged into the single available fan header. The cpu fan is connected to the correct header.

1 hour ago, Drakepc said:

All of the fans (using modtek converter) are plugged into the power supply via molex, then the power supply cord with the 4 pin is plugged into the single available fan header. The cpu fan is connected to the correct header.

Are you sure you got the adapter that's linked? The one shown has 4 male fan headers and no female fan headers to plug into the motherboard.

3 hours ago, Drakepc said:

This sounds more like your PSU fan would be controllable by mobo. The linked adapters, or any other modtek adaters specifically say that there's no rpm sensor for fans. There would be no need as they are just for powering fans.

I would recommend you get either NZXT Grid+ or Corsair Commander (Mini if you can find one). Otherwise you are tight to be able to power 4 fans of single mobo header. And you can't split with CPU cooler as mixing 3pin and 4pin fans isn't recommended if you want to control them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok thank you very much! Will consider purchasing controller