Need a keyboard for work

KirbyTech

At work I got given a MacBook Pro and I hate the keyboard. The keys are not comfortable to type on and doing DevOps work I do a ton of typing, from code to docs to emails. 

At home I have a Logitech G710+ and I love it, problem is it is loud and I am in an open office. I have 5 people within 10 feet of me. Suggestions on keyboards that are comparable to the G710+ and would be fine in an open office environment. Price is not a factor to me within reason, I guess under $200 CAD is fair to say.

14 minutes ago, savagepain said:

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-STRAFE-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B014W1YRC4 they are silent switches i have these and they are very quiet 

Those are the same switches I have in my G710+, they are too loud for an open office space with people packed in and a rule to be quite as possible. 

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

Those are the same switches I have in my G710+, they are too loud for an open office space with people packed in and a rule to be quite as possible. 

how they are patented by corsiar the silent cherry mx browns are corsiar and corsair alone 

9 minutes ago, savagepain said:

how they are patented by corsiar the silent cherry mx browns are corsiar and corsair alone 

I didn't see the `silent` part just saw MX-Browns ops

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

G710+ uses MX Brown switches which is tactile and already relatively silent

There are no Cherry MX switches that produce less noise while still having the tactile bump

Best you can do is add o-rings to MX Brown keys before just going with linear switches

O-rings might be the best option then

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

That Strafe you linked uses ordinary RGB version of MX Browns...

It will sound exactly like the G710+ unless o-rings are preinstalled

There is no special silent version of MX Browns...

yes there is i assure you * cough * cough*   https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/STRAFE-RGB-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-CHERRY®-MX-Silent/p/CH-9000121-NA

Unless you have clicky ones, the switch contributes very little to the sound of the keyboard.  Keycaps, plate, and case all have much greater impact on the over all sound.

In my experience a wood case with aluminum plate and thick PBT keycaps produce the quietest keyboards. Adding a sheet of rubber foam (like a mouse mat) in the case under the PCB also greatly helps.  O-rings also help, but IMO complete ruin the feel of a mechanical keyboard, and they only quiet the down stroak, not the up stroke.  'Silent' style switches, have rubber inside the switch and will dampen the up stroke. Lubing a switch also removes the spring pinging sound, but that's pretty quiet to begin with.

Another option is to get a Topre switch keyboard which are just over all quieter. They feel like a brown but with a sharper bump,  They're more expensive though.Here are a few:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3913

https://www.amazon.com/Realforce-87U-Tenkeyless-55g-Black/dp/B00MV84Y2Y

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hacking-Keyboard-Professional2-White/dp/B000EXZ0V2

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3829

Fun fact: after working on an Apple machine for about 5 years (using the old wired aluminum Apple Keyboard) I got so used to the keyboard that till this day I use an Apple Keyboard on my windows machine.

Recently I tried to switch to an Apex 350 as I wanted more extra keys, and it felt so uncomfortable that I switched back after a week, and the Apex is not even bad, the keys are lower than the normal mec keyboards, but still there's no comparison, for me there's no best key style than the small/thin ones with scissors switch, I'm a developer too (and gamer) so lots of typing.

I guess personal preferences is always the top rule =) 

22 hours ago, fleps said:

Fun fact: after working on an Apple machine for about 5 years (using the old wired aluminum Apple Keyboard) I got so used to the keyboard that till this day I use an Apple Keyboard on my windows machine.

Recently I tried to switch to an Apex 350 as I wanted more extra keys, and it felt so uncomfortable that I switched back after a week, and the Apex is not even bad, the keys are lower than the normal mec keyboards, but still there's no comparison, for me there's no best key style than the small/thin ones with scissors switch, I'm a developer too (and gamer) so lots of typing.

I guess personal preferences is always the top rule =) 

I am sure I will come to like the keyboard in a few years if I keep using it,my biggest issues are it is not comfortable and it hurts me hands too much. I only upgraded to mechanical in the first place because it hurt my hands on an old membrane keyboard.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, KirbyTech said:

I am sure I will come to like the keyboard in a few years if I keep using it,my biggest issues are it is not comfortable and it hurts me hands too much. I only upgraded to mechanical in the first place because it hurt my hands on an old membrane keyboard.

That may have more with the fact that you are using a notebook than the style of the keys itself, as some people don't like the notebook angles because the hand is not on an inclined position, which is recommended.

Also depends on what angle you are typing, the position of your arm, if the height of your desk makes your elbows be aligned with your desk while typing, etc.

I suggest that first you seek advice about your position while working (there's a lot of information about ergonomics when working on a notebook), then try to get also an apple external keyboard to use it attached to the MacBook (the angle of the external keyboard is better / correct, as it's slightly inclined).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 2:07 PM, fleps said:

That may have more with the fact that you are using a notebook than the style of the keys itself, as some people don't like the notebook angles because the hand is not on an inclined position, which is recommended.

Also depends on what angle you are typing, the position of your arm, if the height of your desk makes your elbows be aligned with your desk while typing, etc.

I suggest that first you seek advice about your position while working (there's a lot of information about ergonomics when working on a notebook), then try to get also an apple external keyboard to use it attached to the MacBook (the angle of the external keyboard is better / correct, as it's slightly inclined).

I don't think it has to do with it being a notebook, I have a surface pro 4 and it is okay to type on. Plus I would like Macos it would make like a lot easier. 

The keyboard angle is one issue but the switches and the small keyboard are my biggest issues.