TN vs IPS Video Editing

Schraufabagel

I'm watching a deal that Costco has a fantastic 4k monitor for $240. The only downside is that it is a TN panel. This is fine except for that I do a lot of video editing. My question is, is the extra money for an IPS panel worth it? I've heard that for things where color matters, such as video production, then IPS is the way to go. Costco also has a sale on a 4k IPS monitor for $300. So that would be my go to if the $60 is a better investment.

$60 is nothing if you are going to keep the monitor for a long time. Definitely get the IPS one.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1 minute ago, Pandalf said:

$60 is nothing if you are going to keep the monitor for a long time. Definitely get the IPS one.

Another question, what would be the minimum screen size you would recommend for 4k? Amazon has a 24in 4k IPS for $260, but I've read that it's not really worth doing 4k below 27 or 28in. However, I sit a maximum of 1.5 to 2 ft away from my 21.5in 1080p monitor I have right now and I'm mostly fine with that.

3 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

I've read that it's not really worth doing 4k below 27 or 28in.

Yeah, you really don't want to go lower than that for a 4k panel. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, you really don't want to go lower than that for a 4k panel. 

Ok, I think I'll stick with searching for 27/28in 4k IPS monitors. The one at costco is a good price, but having HDR would also be fantastic if I can find a monitor without a massive price bump for it.

Definitely go IPS if you are video editing. TN makes no sense at all in this case.

As others have mentioned, TN panels are typically a bad idea for video editing.

Why? Because colour reproduction is pretty bad. You may not be able to tell what colour you're actually editing. IPS panels typically have a much higher colour accuracy.

Though you'll definitely want to read/watch reviews of the specific monitors you're considering. Don't buy an IPS just because it's an IPS. Buy it because it has excellent reviews, meets your minimum requirements/standards, and is a great value.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As others have mentioned, TN panels are typically a bad idea for video editing.

Why? Because colour reproduction is pretty bad. You may not be able to tell what colour you're actually editing. IPS panels typically have a much higher colour accuracy.

Though you'll definitely want to read/watch reviews of the specific monitors you're considering. Don't buy an IPS just because it's an IPS. Buy it because it has excellent reviews, meets your minimum requirements/standards, and is a great value.

https://m.costco.com/LG-27UD59-B-27"-Ultra-HD-IPS-4K-Freesync-Monitor.product.100386158.html

This is one I was considering. I'll watch videos and read reviews on it, but any thoughts? Its $300 right now

48 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

https://m.costco.com/LG-27UD59-B-27"-Ultra-HD-IPS-4K-Freesync-Monitor.product.100386158.html

This is one I was considering. I'll watch videos and read reviews on it, but any thoughts? Its $300 right now

I'm not a huge fan of that series of monitors from LG. To me, they seem like panels that didn't make it through QC to become a 27UD88 but are still passable to sell. 

Here is a proper review that I recommend you check out to gain a good idea on what to expect if you get it:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27ud58-b

I'd recommend that you look at something like the Dell P2715Q which is significantly more expensive but I think it will be worth it.

11 minutes ago, Sombra said:

I'm not a huge fan of that series of monitors from LG. To me, they seem like panels that didn't make it through QC to become a 27UD88 but are still passable to sell. 

Here is a proper review that I recommend you check out to gain a good idea on what to expect if you get it:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27ud58-b

I'd recommend that you look at something like the Dell P2715Q which is significantly more expensive but I think it will be worth it.

Considering the price, I'd say it's an excellent monitor for that review. It still gets a decent score, and scores well on colours.

If the OP wants a better monitor, he can totally spring for the Dell, etc, if he wants to increase his budget.

@Schraufabagel do you do video editing for a hobby, or is this something that you rely on as a primary income source?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Considering the price, I'd say it's an excellent monitor for that review. It still gets a decent score, and scores well on colours.

If the OP wants a better monitor, he can totally spring for the Dell, etc, if he wants to increase his budget.

@Schraufabagel do you do video editing for a hobby, or is this something that you rely on as a primary income source?

Hobby. Primarily action filming and sports filming. Not much cinematic or film work. I also do a sizable amount of photography as a hobby which is where hdr would be nice. If it would be wiser to wait for a sale (black Friday, Amazon prime day, or cyber monday) I could do that. Otherwise, if the higher price such as the sell is justifiable, I'm willing to wait and save up to that point.

4 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

Hobby. Primarily action filming and sports filming. Not much cinematic or film work. I also do a sizable amount of photography as a hobby which is where hdr would be nice. If it would be wiser to wait for a sale (black Friday, Amazon prime day, or cyber monday) I could do that. Otherwise, if the higher price such as the sell is justifiable, I'm willing to wait and save up to that point.

Something like a Dell UltraSharp or ASUS ProArt series might be useful - I am unsure if these come in HDR varieties these days, but they do have near HDR colour capabilities.

Please keep in mind that Photography HDR and Movie/Game HDR isn't really the same thing (And even in games, there's old school HDR, like what Half-Life 2 pioneered, and then there's modern HDR).

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Something like a Dell UltraSharp or ASUS ProArt series might be useful - I am unsure if these come in HDR varieties these days, but they do have near HDR colour capabilities.

Please keep in mind that Photography HDR and Movie/Game HDR isn't really the same thing (And even in games, there's old school HDR, like what Half-Life 2 pioneered, and then there's modern HDR).

Yeah, I was talking to a coworker about that and he recommended the ultrasharp monitor since they support Adobe coloring. I use Adobe creative suite. As far as I can tell they support hdr too, however I'm not sure what form or method is used for this since I read something that said that the hdr on the Dell ones isn't as good as others.

And yeah, I'm not sure my camera even shoots hdr video, I think it's just photos. Again, same as the monitor, I'm sure what the quality of this is. Haven't played with 4k a whole lot on my camera since I have nothing to even show it on. 

If you want to look up anything about it, I currently use a Panasonic Lumix g7. Nothing to fancy

1 minute ago, Schraufabagel said:

Yeah, I was talking to a coworker about that and he recommended the ultrasharp monitor since they support Adobe coloring. I use Adobe creative suite. As far as I can tell they support hdr too, however I'm not sure what form or method is used for this since I read something that said that the hdr on the Dell ones isn't as good as others.

And yeah, I'm not sure my camera even shoots hdr video, I think it's just photos. Again, same as the monitor, I'm sure what the quality of this is. Haven't played with 4k a whole lot on my camera since I have nothing to even show it on. 

If you want to look up anything about it, I currently use a Panasonic Lumix g7. Nothing to fancy

HDR isn't really a thing at this price range. The Dell UP2718Q is under $400 on Amazon rn but as you said, its HDR is more of a 'HDR Experience' as opposed to 'HDR that you should be working with professionally' but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's also worth noting that you have to use HDMI to use it and 'HDR'-implementation on Windows is a little bit of a mess. Honestly, the P2715Q is a better pick for you thanks to its higher Adobe RGB coverage, though you would really want to hardware calibrate it to take advantage of that.

13 minutes ago, Sombra said:

HDR isn't really a thing at this price range. The Dell UP2718Q is under $400 on Amazon rn but as you said, its HDR is more of a 'HDR Experience' as opposed to 'HDR that you should be working with professionally' but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's also worth noting that you have to use HDMI to use it and 'HDR'-implementation on Windows is a little bit of a mess. Honestly, the P2715Q is a better pick for you thanks to its higher Adobe RGB coverage, though you would really want to hardware calibrate it to take advantage of that.

Ok. HDR isn't a make or break thing for me either. Ideally, if it were cost effective, it would be nice. But with this being my hobby, I could live without it if it meant saving $300 or more. I was looking hopefully at the Dell u2718q which is marked as $360 on Amazon and is the newer model of this one. Sadly, it's out of stock

1 minute ago, Schraufabagel said:

Ok. HDR isn't a make or break thing for me either. Ideally, if it were cost effective, it would be nice. But with this being my hobby, I could live without it if it meant saving $300 or more. I was looking hopefully at the Dell u2718q which is marked as $360 on Amazon and is the newer model of this one. Sadly, it's out of stock

As I mentioned in my last post. I'd still recommend the P2715Q as it has better coverage of the Adobe RGB spectrum. That being said, the U2718Q is also a great choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with it if you end up getting it if it comes back in stock.

2 minutes ago, Sombra said:

As I mentioned in my last post. I'd still recommend the P2715Q as it has better coverage of the Adobe RGB spectrum. That being said, the U2718Q is also a great choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with it if you end up getting it if it comes back in stock.

Ok, I'll see what I can find, otherwise I think I'll stick with the Dell p2715q then.

23 hours ago, Pandalf said:

Especially considering 1080p has been standard since like 2006.