Windows 10 won't admit I have internet

CbrosTheDude

Hello,

I am currently connected on a pretty good and functionnal ethernet connection though windows 10 keeps saying "no internet access" on the task bar. It didn't bother me untill I tried to create a hotspot with a USB antenna for my phone. Windows 10 doesn't allow you to do that unless it knows you have internet. How can I show it? Can test IPs be forbidden somewhere?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Can you ping your default gateway?

If by default gateway you mean 0.0.0.0, then I get 100% failed transmission

Just now, CbrosTheDude said:

If by default gateway you mean 0.0.0.0, then I get 100% failed transmission

Nope, if I recall that's the Gateway Of Last Resort. Your computer is suppose to get an IP from your router via DHCP. It'll tell you your Default Gateway (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) Check if your computer has an IP or if it see's the Default Gateway.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Nope, if I recall that's the Gateway Of Last Resort. Your computer is suppose to get an IP from your router via DHCP. It'll tell you your Default Gateway (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) Check if your computer has an IP or if it see's the Default Gateway.

using ipconfig I get a default gateway which I can ping under 10ms. To be more clear, I used to use 192.168.0.1 to connect to my router but since I moved the local network is nearly out of my reach and the default gateway is completely different

11 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

using ipconfig I get a default gateway which I can ping under 10ms. To be more clear, I used to use 192.168.0.1 to connect to my router but since I moved the local network is nearly out of my reach and the default gateway is completely different

So you can reach your router. Now lets see if you can reach the internet. Ping your choice of 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 or 8.8.4.4 or any other public IP you know of and let me know if it works.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you can reach your router. Now lets see if you can reach the internet. Ping your choice of 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 or 8.8.4.4 or any other public IP you know of and let me know if it works.

They all work fine, in fact I am currently typing from the computer in question. Still I get the little warning sign saying "No internet access"

1 minute ago, CbrosTheDude said:

They all work fine, in fact I am currently typing from the computer in question. Still I get the little warning sign saying "No internet access"

Did you go into Network Connections and see what Network Adapter is actually reporting No Internet? The icon in the task bar might just be reporting No Internet from the Wi-Fi adapter.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you go into Network Connections and see what Network Adapter is actually reporting No Internet? The icon in the task bar might just be reporting No Internet from the Wi-Fi adapter.

I do not believe so. "Réseau"' means network and "Pas" means no

a.png

b.png

Usually that icon is DNS related, if it can't resolve its requests it will tell you 'connected but no Internet' since you receive an IP but can't resolve external queries.

Do you have any unique DNS type of setups like Pihole?  You could also manually configure it in your adapter for like 1.1.1.1 if you can do things like 'nslookup google.com 1.1.1.1' and get a response.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

6 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

I do not believe so. "Réseau"' means network and "Pas" means no

This is the page I'm wanting to see:

Screenshot_1.png.0161d9b39976c0beac89fb4afd2d0dbb.png

Also beersykins brings up a good point:

Go into CMD and input: ipconfig /all

This will display your DNS servers along with all your other network adapter data.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This is the page I'm wanting to see:

Screenshot_1.png.0161d9b39976c0beac89fb4afd2d0dbb.png

Also beersykins brings up a good point:

Go into CMD and input: ipconfig /all

This will display your DNS servers along with all your other network adapter data.

That's the window. I get 3 DNS which all begin like my default gateway, IP and DHCP

c.png

17 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Usually that icon is DNS related, if it can't resolve its requests it will tell you 'connected but no Internet' since you receive an IP but can't resolve external queries.

Do you have any unique DNS type of setups like Pihole?  You could also manually configure it in your adapter for like 1.1.1.1 if you can do things like 'nslookup google.com 1.1.1.1' and get a response.

I did get a response although it was "non-authoritative" (had to google translate this one). how go I manually choose a particular DNS in the system?

5 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

That's the window. I get 3 DNS which all begin like my default gateway, IP and DHCP

So your wired connection works just fine. The No Internet error is for the Wi-Fi adapter you haven't setup. You said the hotspot configuration requires you to show that you have internet. This right here says you do. Where does the hot spot configurater say that you don't? 

So your wired connection works just fine. The No Internet error is for the Wi-Fi adapter you haven't setup. You said the hotspot configuration requires you to show that you have internet. This right here says you do. Where does the hot spot configurater say that you don't? 

The no internet shows up wether I have the wifi plugged in or not, in fact it does it since a long time. It says it here:

I'm sorry it's in french but it won't install english because "I have no internet". It basically say I can't setup a hotspot because my computer has no .Ethernet, Wifi or cellular connectiond.png.72d5d24f5c72172b6905ec280b161d7d.png

What happens if you unplug the Wi-Fi adapter, restart the computer, verify that you do indeed have internet, and go back into this menu? Does it still tell you you don't or does it give you a different error?

What happens if you unplug the Wi-Fi adapter, restart the computer, verify that you do indeed have internet, and go back into this menu? Does it still tell you you don't or does it give you a different error?

The hotspot menu disapears after these actions as I have no Wifi anymore, but i still get the taskbar "no internet" and this network status menu saying I'm not connected to the web

a.png

At what point did you discover it said you had no internet? Did you go through the hot spot setup and get an error? Did you go to set it up and it told you you had no internet? If the latter this could be a completely unrelated issue to the hot-spot itself.

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

At what point did you discover it said you had no internet? Did you go through the hot spot setup and get an error? Did you go to set it up and it told you you had no internet? If the latter this could be a completely unrelated issue to the hot-spot itself.

I saw the task bar message a few months ago, when I changed my ethernet output in the network (although it may be unrelated). Only when I went to set up the hotspot did I notice the extent of the error so yes I think it is unrelated to the hotspot

Theoretically windows will declare no internet if it cannot ping / reach one of their servers. Off-handed I don't know the URL/IP of what it tries to reach, but check your firewall to see if it's blocking any traffic.

I want to assume this feature is similar to ICS from back in the XP days - which was garbage. Possible your wifi card / device doesn't support being used as an AP and windows is just kicking back some b/s error. I know using some linux tools (kali) only certain vendors/makes of wifi cards support AP mode.

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Theoretically windows will declare no internet if it cannot ping / reach one of their servers. Off-handed I don't know the URL/IP of what it tries to reach, but check your firewall to see if it's blocking any traffic.

I want to assume this feature is similar to ICS from back in the XP days - which was garbage. Possible your wifi card / device doesn't support being used as an AP and windows is just kicking back some b/s error. I know using some linux tools (kali) only certain vendors/makes of wifi cards support AP mode.

It still fails when I completely disable the Firewall. could an IP be blocked in any other way?

afaik it's completely independant to the WIFI adaptor

17 hours ago, CbrosTheDude said:

It still fails when I completely disable the Firewall. could an IP be blocked in any other way?

afaik it's completely independant to the WIFI adaptor

Completely disabled your firewall.. you mean windows or your router's firewall?

2 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Completely disabled your firewall.. you mean windows or your router's firewall?

Windows, I don't have access to the router