Need a New Wi-Fi Card, Which One?

jiyeon

I've been using this generic 300Mbps USB Wi-Fi adapter for a while now, but it's about time I get something actually decent for networking.

What Wi-Fi cards do you guys recommend I get? I'm completely alien to Wi-Fi cards and how they work, so I'd like some suggestions as to which Wi-Fi cards are the ones to buy and possibly some ones to avoid.

Also, how much PSU power will a Wi-Fi card require and which slot should I be using for said Wi-Fi card?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I use to use the ASUS PCE-N15. Cheap, worked reliably for me, 300Mbps.

As for power. Id beg to guess it uses watts in the single digits. There's not a whole lot to them.

As for slot. You can use any of them provided it doesn't interfere with any other device you have plugged into your motherboard.

You want to be using a PCI slot for a wifi card. That is the slot that is smaller than the large ones and under your CPU socket. In terms of PSU power, practically zero use. If you want a good card, I personally have had a great experience with this TP-Link one:

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-network-Adapter/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=pd_sbs_147_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007GMPZ0A&pd_rd_r=d6859686-7271-11e8-9ab7-39985758a02b&pd_rd_w=t2on0&pd_rd_wg=gXxZ6&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=K85VWBCWQEEKS3EZY98C&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=K85VWBCWQEEKS3EZY98C

its relatively affordable and offers good and stable performance

4 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

If you want a good card, I personally have had a great experience with this TP-Link one:

Oh hey, I was actually looking at a TP-Link AC1300 one, I wasn't sure what speed to go with at all, but the one you have suggested is a great, cheaper option.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I use to use the ASUS PCE-N15. Cheap, worked reliably for me, 300Mbps.

Asus too, very nice.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

As for power. Id beg to guess it uses watts in the single digits. There's not a whole lot to them.

As for slot. You can use any of them provided it doesn't interfere with any other device you have plugged into your motherboard.

Okay, thank you so much for the help!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches