Asus Multicore Enhancement - On or Off?

I've had my PC for just under two weeks now, and I have an Asus Z370 board. Having watched JayzTwoCents' video on Asus Multicore Enchancement, I've been interested in using MCE versus not using it.

I've had multicore enhancement on since the beginning of my PC so I'm wondering some things;

1. Is it safe in the long-run to run multicore enhancement?

2. Does running multicore enhancement affect thermals in any way as opposed to not running MCE?

3. When can I benefit the most from multicore enhancement?

I apologise in advance if these are noobish questions, but knowledge is wisdom.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 hour ago, MiNy said:

1. Is it safe in the long-run to run multicore enhancement?

2. Does running multicore enhancement affect thermals in any way as opposed to not running MCE?

3. When can I benefit the most from multicore enhancement?

I apologise in advance if these are noobish questions, but knowledge is wisdom.

1. define "Safe"? It lets the CPU age more due to higher stress and temperatures...

2. Yes, because its some kind of Auto Overclocking feature that sets the all core turbo to the single Core Turbo -> more power consumption, a bit more performanc.

3. Depends on what you mean with that and what it costs for you.

Buttom Line:
There is a bit more performance for way more power consumption AFAIR like 5-10% more performance for 50W more power or something like that.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1-yes

2-your cpu will run hotter and use more power

3- multithreaded workloads

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

There is a bit more performance for way more power consumption AFAIR like 5-10% more performance for 50W more power or something like that

To me, that doesn't sound look like a good tradeoff, especially with the seemingly accelerated CPU aging. Thank you for the information.

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

3- multithreaded workloads

I can barely utilise 4 of the cores, so I feel like I wouldn't benefit much from it, thank you for the answers.

Just now, MiNy said:

To me, that doesn't sound look like a good tradeoff, especially with the seemingly accelerated CPU aging. Thank you for the information.

I can barely utilise 4 of the cores, so I feel like I wouldn't benefit much from it, thank you for the answers.

You'd still see a benefit though.

MCE essentially makes the CPU run at single-core turbo speeds ( 4.7ghz on the 8700k). The regular 4 core turbo is 4.4ghz , so you'd be gaining 5-10% with it enabled.

Those speeds are safe and intel rates their CPUS to run at those clocks. Accelerated aging should not occur , at least not during the CPU's usable life. Power will be higher through , but those chips still have power saving features. Clocks should go down at idle.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Accelerated aging should not occur , at least not during the CPU's usable life. Power will be higher through , but those chips still have power saving features. Clocks should go down at idle.

That's interesting, I'm quite wary about additional power consumption because I controversially bought a 450W PSU for my 8600K + GTX 1060 rig when I originally went for a 8600 and a GTX 1050 Ti. Even moreso since I now have a 4.4GHz overclock on aforementioned 8600K. I use Afterburner a lot and check usage rates and such, and will try MCE off and see if that makes any changes, thanks again for your help.

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

MCE essentially makes the CPU run at single-core turbo speeds ( 4.7ghz on the 8700k). The regular 4 core turbo is 4.4ghz , so you'd be gaining 5-10% with it enabled.

That's the Clock speed, not the Performance he gets.

The rule of the Thumb in the olden days was that half of the clockrates are what you get in Performance.

There are some Benchmarks about that and they don't show the 5-10% increase you mention...

Accelerated aging should not occur

Yes it does.

It always does when you increase the Clockrate and Voltage.

And that is what this does. Apply single Core Turbo (with that rather high voltage) to all cores...

So I'd not use it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"