What is this Worth?

I've sold my 6600 on to my brother and I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat of an upgrade. I've found this X79 system online. It has an i7 4820 (4c/8t) 16Gb DDR3 and a Dark Rock 2 cooler. I'd like to do a value check, is this worth buying?

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motherboards/roodepoort/intel-cpu-4820k-motherboard-and-memory/1002354398740910176437709

The price in dollars is $350. I would very likely also grab the 980ti that the guy is selling. There is of course some bargaining room.

Thanks for any help

Froody

That's an F in the profile pic

That is not a bad deal since that is an unlocked cpu and a pretty decent motherboard, along with 16GB of 2400Mhz DDR3. Plus the i7 4820k is not that far in performance from the i5 6600, aside from multi-threading.

5 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I've sold my 6600 on to my brother and I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat of an upgrade. I've found this X79 system online. It has an i7 4820 (4c/8t) 16Gb DDR3 and a Dark Rock 2 cooler. I'd like to do a value check, is this worth buying?

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motherboards/roodepoort/intel-cpu-4820k-motherboard-and-memory/1002354398740910176437709

The price in dollars is $350. I would very likely also grab the 980ti that the guy is selling. There is of course some bargaining room.

Price is too high and the x820 CPUs are Bullshit if you don't need the extra PCIe Lanes, you won't have any advantage over an i7-3770K.

And it would be cheaper.

And I didn't mention the 4770K because that would be Haswell, the 4820 is Ivy Bridge(-E) with a bit more cache and PCIe Lanes.

X79 is only worth it if you can get it with a 6 Core CPU, with a 4 Core CPU it doesn't make much sense.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Price is too high and the x820 CPUs are Bullshit if you don't need the extra PCIe Lanes, you won't have any advantage over an i7-3770K.

And it would be cheaper.

And I didn't mention the 4770K because that would be Haswell, the 4820 is Ivy Bridge(-E) with a bit more cache and PCIe Lanes.

X79 is only worth it if you can get it with a 6 Core CPU, with a 4 Core CPU it doesn't make much sense.

Cool. I'll see if he can drop the price a good bit more. I'm playing at 144hz so I wanted something a bit better than my locked i5. It would be overclocked of course, and he reported about 4400MHz overclock possible 

He also has an 1800X and a X370 Taichi board for R5200 ($390). That is without a CPU cooler or RAM however and including those it's making the budget a bit uncomfortable

That's an F in the profile pic

9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

He also has an 1800X and a X370 Taichi board for R5200 ($390). That is without a CPU cooler or RAM however and including those it's making the budget a bit uncomfortable

Still its the better deal.

X79 is ancient, the i7-4820 was introduced in 2013, so around 5 Years ago. .There ain't no warranty no more

And for more modern Games, you _WANT_ more than 4 Cores. Or rather you need it for it to run well.

The 1800x is at most two years old, that you don't have no memory is a probloem. As for a Heatsink you could use a small 20€ one like Scythe Katana 4 or so.

Memory is a bit expensive and for good performance, DDR4-3200 is recommended...

As for the X79 bundle: The Cooler drives the price up and makes it a bad deal. I'd guess he'd want something like 50-70€ or so for that alone.

The Reason is the Cores.

The 1800x has 8, the 4820 has 4. And all those Spectre/Meltdown shit applies there, so that you loose a bit performance and a bit more for I/O Stuff...

Another option would be to ask him just for the Board and sell the 1800x seperately but get the newest BIOS with Ryzen 2000 series support on there and put a Ryzen 7 - 2700 on there...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"